Menards

Updated Jan 28, 2015

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Menards in July 2013.

Filled out an online app. Called human resources to check on status of application. She didnt pick up but i left a professional message. HR Coordinator called back later that day to set up interview two days later on a friday. Offered position on the spot as degreed manager trainee.

Interview Questions
    • How do you delegate tasks to workers   Answer Question
    • How did you handle stressful situation in previous job (I previously worked as shift manager at taco bell)   Answer Question
    Menards offers everyone up to and including Store general manager hourly pay. Pay was locked in around 31k for degreed manager trainee in metro area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorhead, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorhead, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

Had interview with both Assistant GMs, was hired that day, and send for drug testing. I got a call back a couple days later offering me a full time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homer Glen, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homer Glen, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Menards in July 2013.

Very relaxed, non-professional interview with an HR employee and the GM. Basically, the stores are not looking for you to work a position at the location you are interested in and applying to. They want to train you, then send you where needed which will most likely end up with high commute times or even require relocation. Both options were not what I was looking for, and because of that I was not offered the position even though I have retail, managerial & entrepreneurial experience of over 20 years.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected or difficult outside of wanting you to relocate.   Answer Question

General Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in November 2014.

Simply on-line application. An interview was set up and was very informal, but thorough. Typical interview questions: Why Menards, my strengths, weakness? A paper test was given regarding internal theft situations-but again simple questions./

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Menards.

Filling out a paper app at the store and got a call back within 2 days for a face to face interview.
    Day after getting a call, I just went in causally to talk to the GM on duty and HR then we set up a face to face right then and there, 20-30 mins later I walk out with a job.

Interview Questions
    • none, very easy questions like if you saw some one stealing what would you do?   View Answer
    No, negotiation space.

Customer Service Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Menards in January 2010.

Stood in line for hours for new store opening, Interviewed for about 10 minutes. Felt like their main goal was to get bodies in place to set the store to get ready for the grand opening.

None

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Menards in October 2014.

very nice interview was told at the end that i was hired was given all info about the trainng and relocation that was needed hr lady was super nice and very friendly

not sure yet

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

The position was posted online on craigslist with a brief description of required duties and expectations. It was listed with compensation 'to be discussed at time of interview'. I submitted my resume, as well as a cover letter detailing why I felt my slightly incongruent experience would still make me a good candidate for the position. I was called the next day, within 24 hours, requesting me to come in to the store and interview with the GM the following day. I have a BS in unrelated fields with no HR experience whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Relatively straight forward interview questions - what do you know about menards? What do you know about HR? How do you feel like your experience in unrelated fields could be an asset?   Answer Question

After what I felt to be a great interview, the GM stated that the highest possible he could pay for this position was $11/hr. Considering the position REQUIRED a BA/BS, as well as a work load typical of much higher paying positions, I declined. Multiple attempts at negotiation were declined, as the GM had no power to change this number whatsoever. He even said I'd been one of the top interviewees he's spoken to in 20+ years with the company and were I to accept the position there could be possibility for corporate promotion within the year, but at $11/hour for what they were requiring, I was borderline insulted. Seemed to be a wonderful, caring manager as well as a great company to work for, but I absolutely could not accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards.

I applied online on a Friday and got a call to schedule an interview on that following Monday. I interviewed that Wednesday and got sent for a drug test. I got a call back that next Monday to schedule a day where I could start work. The interview went great and the two ladies that interviewed me were very nice and didn't make me feel intimidated. I only had the one interview.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

Interview was conversational in nature. General manager did the interview. Asked questions like what brought you to menards? Why do you want to leave the company you are with now? Do you have any questions or concerns? Very easy going approach. No silly questions were asked just common sense relevant questions

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions or concerns about working for Menards?   View Answer