Menards Management Trainee Interview Questions

1.6

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Menards in October 2014.

very nice interview was told at the end that i was hired was given all info about the trainng and relocation that was needed hr lady was super nice and very friendly

not sure yet

Other Interview Reviews for Menards

Management Trainee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards.

Basic questions, I knew I was hired before it was over.

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Menards in March 2013.

The interview was relatively easy. Most of the questions were character based and questions about work history. The interviewer had a lot of print offs with a lot of information about promotions, salaries, and the profit sharing program. The interview was very one sided. I answered basic questions for 10 minutes. The rest on the interview was all about working at the company, which went on for about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation process was nonexistant. I regret not talking to the store managers before the interview to get more of an idea of what it means to work with Menards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in February 2013.

Before the interview you will fill out an application of sorts that also has a personality test. After finishing the paper work you will sit down one on one with a representative from the company. The interviewer was nice and personable, we talked about previous work experience and how it could help while working with Manards. The interviewer went over the job in detail and answered any questions I had about the position. Very low pressure interview that was extremely helpful in making a decision.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any particularly difficult questions. They ask you about your previous experiences and how it could apply to what you will be doing if you are hired.   Answer Question

Did not want to move as often as required

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in June 2012.

After I filled out the online application I received a phone call for an interview a couple of days later. The HR lady was very nice, the interview was quick and easy. She basically told me I was over qualified even though I am a recent college grad. She said sometimes they have college grads come in and they refer them to corporate positions in Eau Claire, WI and I should apply. She said that she would talk to the store manager and I haven't heard from them since. I emailed her and still no response. I feel that even if I am over qualified, if I chose to take a management position to work my way up then I should have that choice. The pay doesn't sound like much, but when you take into account all of the bonuses and benefits its amazing. If I ever have a desire to move to Eau Claire, then I would apply for corporate.

Interview Questions
    • None, they're all basic questions... lol all three of them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux Falls, SD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux Falls, SD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in May 2012.

I applied online through the Menards website. I received a phone call about an interview the following day. I was set up with an interview with the HR manager.

Upon arrival to the store, I was asked to fill out a paper application and sign the drug test sheet. The interview started with the HR rep asking me if I had any questions about the MT position. The HR rep then proceeded to tell me about what the MT program was, how it works, perks, etc. She showed me a map of the stores, gave me a pamphlet about the opportunties, explained how bonuses work, etc. She did a very good and thorough job of outlining the program, and I really understood what it was. She kept harping on the bonus program, since the hourly wage usually turns people away. I was told that I would be offered the same starting pay as everyone else, despite my extensive customer service and management background.

Menards offers a great bonus package, relocation assistance, and wonderful opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to move. While I initially balked at the opportunity because of the pay, I ultimately accepted because of the opportunities and the benefits/bonus structure. Hopefully I won't regret it!

The interview itself was not really an interview, she didn't ask me any questions. She merely inquired about an area I'd like to work in, and asked me at the end if I was interested in the program She explained the program, and that was it! Easiest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Compensation is set in stone. 5 vacation days following 26 weeks of work. Pay is set. No deviation. There is a differential if you live in certain areas of the country, though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mankato, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mankato, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in November 2011.

The process began by the local Menards HR lady calling to let me know she would like to set up an interview. The interview was about two hours long. She thoroughly explained the position and what it entails. Then asked very standard questions. "Give an example of an experience when you had poor customer service, and what made it so poor/?" The opposite was also asked. Overall a very easy interview. I would recommend not just sitting back as the HR individual explains the position, ask a few questions to throw them off. You will notice its very routine, they most likely interview people very often. To stand out yo need to make them remember you, always look them in the eyes. Pay attention

Interview Questions

Poor starting wage, about 10k less than I could afford to live off comfortably.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Menards in August 2011.

Email the store about the position and couple of days later HR contacted to me come in for an interview.
    Interview was pretty easy told me about the postition and benefits and then ask some simple questions that u shouldnt even have to prepare for.

Interview Questions
    • have u ever managed or supervised a number of employees?   Answer Question
    Leave it or take it plain and simple. Must be willing to relocate when the time comes its a must for the position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Menards in June 2011.

The interview process was fairly straight forward. It seems fairly easy, and in most cases it is. The interview consisted of a short phone interview just to figure out more about my personality and how it fits into working in the retail environment. After this, I was brought in for a face to face interview with the human resources coordinator. The interview involved pretty standard questions..job history..why would you be a good fit for Menards..what are some of your weaknesses..what would your past employers say about you. If you demonstrate that you actually have a head on your shoulders, and can adjust to dealing with different Guest's ..then I think you'll stand a decent chance of getting hired. It took about 3-4 weeks from the time that I interviewed before I was given an offer, mostly because of extensive background checks..good experience though.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating because the area that I work in is considered 'non-competitive', so the offer is take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in April 2011.

Basically I was contacted by their HR Coordinator through my University. I went to the first round of interviews which is basically the HR Coordinator explaining about the position. The second round is brief interview with the general and assistant general managers. The questions they ask are very general nothing out of the ordinary. Ex. "Why do you want to work for Menards?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with a fellow employee.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiations. Everything is strictly policy.