Menards Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

1.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Menards (Germantown, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a career fair. Called him the next day and he set up an interview a week later. Interview was with store manager and recruiter and was fairly easy, standard strength/weakness/experience questions. They called me the next morning and offered me the job. If you do not have your degree yet they will make you wait, but gives you time to get everything in order (quitting current job, enjoying some time off in between, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at menards?   1 Answer
  • How would you describe your personality?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Menards

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandusky, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Menards (Sandusky, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty basisc and easy took a total of about an hour this was including getting the forms for the drug test and that set up fully. The questions where pretty basic asked about passed experiences, what I am looking for, Why Mernards, and then there where a few not so basic ones as well. In addition to the normal questions and such I was told to figure out where I would like to go placement wise with in the company and a few other items as well. Over all it is a great program!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Menards (Cheyenne, WY) in October 2014.

Interview

very nice interview was told at the end that i was hired was given all info about the trainng and relocation that was needed hr lady was super nice and very friendly

Negotiation

not sure yet

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Menards.

Interview

Basic questions, I knew I was hired before it was over.

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Menards (Quincy, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview was relatively easy. Most of the questions were character based and questions about work history. The interviewer had a lot of print offs with a lot of information about promotions, salaries, and the profit sharing program. The interview was very one sided. I answered basic questions for 10 minutes. The rest on the interview was all about working at the company, which went on for about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation process was nonexistant. I regret not talking to the store managers before the interview to get more of an idea of what it means to work with Menards.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Menards (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Before the interview you will fill out an application of sorts that also has a personality test. After finishing the paper work you will sit down one on one with a representative from the company. The interviewer was nice and personable, we talked about previous work experience and how it could help while working with Manards. The interviewer went over the job in detail and answered any questions I had about the position. Very low pressure interview that was extremely helpful in making a decision.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall any particularly difficult questions. They ask you about your previous experiences and how it could apply to what you will be doing if you are hired.   Answer Question

Did not want to move as often as required

Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Menards (Matteson, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

After I filled out the online application I received a phone call for an interview a couple of days later. The HR lady was very nice, the interview was quick and easy. She basically told me I was over qualified even though I am a recent college grad. She said sometimes they have college grads come in and they refer them to corporate positions in Eau Claire, WI and I should apply. She said that she would talk to the store manager and I haven't heard from them since. I emailed her and still no response. I feel that even if I am over qualified, if I chose to take a management position to work my way up then I should have that choice. The pay doesn't sound like much, but when you take into account all of the bonuses and benefits its amazing. If I ever have a desire to move to Eau Claire, then I would apply for corporate.

Interview Questions

• None, they're all basic questions... lol all three of them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Menards (Sioux Falls, SD) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied online through the Menards website. I received a phone call about an interview the following day. I was set up with an interview with the HR manager. Upon arrival to the store, I was asked to fill out a paper application and sign the drug test sheet. The interview started with the HR rep asking me if I had any questions about the MT position. The HR rep then proceeded to tell me about what the MT program was, how it works, perks, etc. She showed me a map of the stores, gave me a pamphlet about the opportunties, explained how bonuses work, etc. She did a very good and thorough job of outlining the program, and I really understood what it was. She kept harping on the bonus program, since the hourly wage usually turns people away. I was told that I would be offered the same starting pay as everyone else, despite my extensive customer service and management background. Menards offers a great bonus package, relocation assistance, and wonderful opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to move. While I initially balked at the opportunity because of the pay, I ultimately accepted because of the opportunities and the benefits/bonus structure. Hopefully I won't regret it! The interview itself was not really an interview, she didn't ask me any questions. She merely inquired about an area I'd like to work in, and asked me at the end if I was interested in the program She explained the program, and that was it! Easiest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Compensation is set in stone. 5 vacation days following 26 weeks of work. Pay is set. No deviation. There is a differential if you live in certain areas of the country, though.

Anonymous Employee in Mankato, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Menards (Mankato, MN) in November 2011.

Interview

The process began by the local Menards HR lady calling to let me know she would like to set up an interview. The interview was about two hours long. She thoroughly explained the position and what it entails. Then asked very standard questions. "Give an example of an experience when you had poor customer service, and what made it so poor/?" The opposite was also asked. Overall a very easy interview. I would recommend not just sitting back as the HR individual explains the position, ask a few questions to throw them off. You will notice its very routine, they most likely interview people very often. To stand out yo need to make them remember you, always look them in the eyes. Pay attention

Interview Questions

Poor starting wage, about 10k less than I could afford to live off comfortably.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Menards (Chicago, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

Email the store about the position and couple of days later HR contacted to me come in for an interview. Interview was pretty easy told me about the postition and benefits and then ask some simple questions that u shouldnt even have to prepare for.

Interview Questions

• have u ever managed or supervised a number of employees?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Leave it or take it plain and simple. Must be willing to relocate when the time comes its a must for the position