Menards

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call back within 2 days. At the interview you fill out a sheet asking if you think its okay to take drugs. Then I had a one on one interview where I was asked my weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted to work at menards, what kind of experience have I had with volunteer work or small jobs like babysitting (because I have no prior experience). I then got a call back 2 days later to come in and fill in some paperwork for my drug test, took my drug test the next day and the day after that got a call setting up my orientation.

Interview Question – What is an experience where you felt really proud or accomplished with a job you did?   View Answer

Part Time Cashier Interview

Part Time Cashier
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards in June 2013.

Interview Details – After I was hired I was brought in for group training where we watched training videos. It was me and one guy who was applying for a position in the stock/lumber yard. The hiring staff and human resources people were professional, friendly and helpful. Remember to bring your SS card and ID that they will scan and also know when your hours are. When putting together scheduling, give them your specific hour windows and try to avoid saying "I'd rather not work ___, but if I absolutely have to, I will. They will schedule you for that day/ those hours.

Interview Question – What about working at Menard's interests you?   Answer Question

Assistant Department Manager Interview

Assistant Department Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Menards in April 2014.

Interview Details – Only one interview. Was asked questions such as how I handle agitated guests, how I lead others, why Menards, if I can handle stress, and if I like to work hard. Interview wasn't very private; held in an open air cubicle where you can hear everything going on around you. Seems like a good place to start a managing career in retail.

Interview Question – How would your current manager describe you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary isn't negotiable, only the date you can start, in which they were flexible.

Blaine, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very kind manager. She had through answers to all of my questions. It was a very comfortable environment. Some basic interview questions but nothing challenging. I would recommend the company just based on the interview experience. Just make sure you are prepared. Obviously the more you are prepped, the easier the interview will seem. I only had to wait 3 days to hear back with an offer and I jubilantly accepted. The only downside is, I have an hour long drive to submit my drug test at a lab with terrible hours for the busy man to attend to in the middle of the week.

Interview Question – What separates you from other candidates interviewing for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Flat rate of minimum wage to start with an extra 2 something dollars for weekend hours (weekend incentive pay)

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Menards in July 2010.

Interview Details – Answer basic questions... no prior knowledge needed

Interview Question – when can you start?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Maplewood, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Menards in February 2013.

Interview Details – They were so desperate for people, they will just ask what your schedule is like & whether or not you plan to stay long. That's all they care about. Because once they know you're available and are willing to pretty much live at menards, they don't care about anything else. My interview consisted of only those 2 questions.

Interview Question – What department do you want to work for? There is seriously too much to choose from.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Golden Valley, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Menards in January 2012.

Interview Details – Single Interview conducted had to come in for a meeting and asked normal standard questions. Had 3 separate interviews. Was an all around standard experience

Interview Question – If you could be any animal what kind of animal would you be and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Menards in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and heard back within 1 day, interviewed within 3 days and was hired on the 4th day. I had a reference name from someone working in the store at the time. This was in the spring - they hire mostly in march-may. They LOVE college students. I had no prior retail experience, the interview was very standard, no unexpected questions at all, and the HR girl was pretty much just glad that I was kind of excited and not a drug addict or retired plumber.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – She offered me either a cashier position or sales position, and offered me a good starting pay (for retail) that I accepted.

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Mankato, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in November 2011.

Interview Details – The process began by the local Menards HR lady calling to let me know she would like to set up an interview. The interview was about two hours long. She thoroughly explained the position and what it entails. Then asked very standard questions. "Give an example of an experience when you had poor customer service, and what made it so poor/?" The opposite was also asked. Overall a very easy interview. I would recommend not just sitting back as the HR individual explains the position, ask a few questions to throw them off. You will notice its very routine, they most likely interview people very often. To stand out yo need to make them remember you, always look them in the eyes. Pay attention

Interview Question – How would you describe superior customer service.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Poor starting wage, about 10k less than I could afford to live off comfortably.

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Stillwater, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Menards in April 2011.

Interview Details – Basically I was contacted by their HR Coordinator through my University. I went to the first round of interviews which is basically the HR Coordinator explaining about the position. The second round is brief interview with the general and assistant general managers. The questions they ask are very general nothing out of the ordinary. Ex. "Why do you want to work for Menards?"

Interview Question – Describe a time when you disagreed with a fellow employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiations. Everything is strictly policy.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!