Menards

1.8

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call back within 2 days. At the interview you fill out a sheet asking if you think its okay to take drugs. Then I had a one on one interview where I was asked my weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted to work at menards, what kind of experience have I had with volunteer work or small jobs like babysitting (because I have no prior experience). I then got a call back 2 days later to come in and fill in some paperwork for my drug test, took my drug test the next day and the day after that got a call setting up my orientation.

Interview Questions
    • What is an experience where you felt really proud or accomplished with a job you did?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blaine, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blaine, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Menards in April 2014.

Very kind manager. She had through answers to all of my questions. It was a very comfortable environment. Some basic interview questions but nothing challenging. I would recommend the company just based on the interview experience. Just make sure you are prepared. Obviously the more you are prepped, the easier the interview will seem. I only had to wait 3 days to hear back with an offer and I jubilantly accepted. The only downside is, I have an hour long drive to submit my drug test at a lab with terrible hours for the busy man to attend to in the middle of the week.

Interview Questions
    • What separates you from other candidates interviewing for this position?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Flat rate of minimum wage to start with an extra 2 something dollars for weekend hours (weekend incentive pay)

Assistant Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Menards in April 2014.

Only one interview. Was asked questions such as how I handle agitated guests, how I lead others, why Menards, if I can handle stress, and if I like to work hard. Interview wasn't very private; held in an open air cubicle where you can hear everything going on around you. Seems like a good place to start a managing career in retail.

Interview Questions
    • How would your current manager describe you?   View Answer
    Salary isn't negotiable, only the date you can start, in which they were flexible.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Menards in June 2013.

After I was hired I was brought in for group training where we watched training videos. It was me and one guy who was applying for a position in the stock/lumber yard. The hiring staff and human resources people were professional, friendly and helpful. Remember to bring your SS card and ID that they will scan and also know when your hours are. When putting together scheduling, give them your specific hour windows and try to avoid saying "I'd rather not work ___, but if I absolutely have to, I will. They will schedule you for that day/ those hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Menards in June 2013.

Was interviewed by two managers for my first and only interview. The two worked very well together and asked pretty basic interview questions. They went over codes of conduct, dress code, pay, how many hours I wished to work (part-time), and more. Nothing came up that wasn't expected.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was likely one that only these acting managers would ask, but they asked if I could be a fruit, what fruit would I be?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Menards in February 2013.

They were so desperate for people, they will just ask what your schedule is like & whether or not you plan to stay long. That's all they care about. Because once they know you're available and are willing to pretty much live at menards, they don't care about anything else. My interview consisted of only those 2 questions.

Interview Questions
    • What department do you want to work for? There is seriously too much to choose from.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in January 2012.

Single Interview conducted had to come in for a meeting and asked normal standard questions. Had 3 separate interviews. Was an all around standard experience

Interview Questions
    • If you could be any animal what kind of animal would you be and why?   View Answer
    None.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mankato, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mankato, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in November 2011.

The process began by the local Menards HR lady calling to let me know she would like to set up an interview. The interview was about two hours long. She thoroughly explained the position and what it entails. Then asked very standard questions. "Give an example of an experience when you had poor customer service, and what made it so poor/?" The opposite was also asked. Overall a very easy interview. I would recommend not just sitting back as the HR individual explains the position, ask a few questions to throw them off. You will notice its very routine, they most likely interview people very often. To stand out yo need to make them remember you, always look them in the eyes. Pay attention

Interview Questions

Poor starting wage, about 10k less than I could afford to live off comfortably.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in April 2011.

Basically I was contacted by their HR Coordinator through my University. I went to the first round of interviews which is basically the HR Coordinator explaining about the position. The second round is brief interview with the general and assistant general managers. The questions they ask are very general nothing out of the ordinary. Ex. "Why do you want to work for Menards?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with a fellow employee.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiations. Everything is strictly policy.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Menards in July 2010.

Answer basic questions... no prior knowledge needed

no negotiation