Mentor Graphics

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Interview

Software Development
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mentor Graphics in March 2008.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online. Got a call back after two weeks. Did four hours of interviews on site with the team I was applying to. Two days later, I went back for an interview with another team member and VP of R&D. All the interview questions were pretty banal technical stuff, and a couple of brain teasers. Received offer by e-mail the next day.

Interview Question – Explain the bug in a destructor sequence involving multiple inheritance in C++.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Low-ball salary.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
Wilsonville, OR

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mentor Graphics in July 2009.

Interview Details – Company is largely located in Wilsonville, Oregon; with a number of buildings situated on a beautiful campus. There are a lot of benefits built into the site, such as an on-site gym with showers, etc which are available to all employees, either contractor or FTE. Culture is laid back in terms of clothing, and populated with exceptionally bright industry leaders in their respective specialties. Only "problem" with the interview process is that Mentor is apparently well known locally for not being sure quite what they are hiring for, which can make a really good interview not lead to the next logical step. Don't take it personally, if they do hire you, they are often a long (think >20 years) home for folks!

Interview Question – What could you possibly bring to our team?   View Answers (2)

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Mentor Graphics in January 2009.

Interview Details – Advertised position was for marketing. But they were looking for the best R&D, who can go toe-to-toe with the best of R&D engineers, and the best sales person. There was no clear focus for what they are looking for. From phone screening to the first group interview it took less than a week. Then the process slowed down. The next interviewer just delayed for more than 3 weeks with one reason or the other. Then the hiring manager never responded and by the time he responded, it was already 8-10 weeks. The interview process was fairly unprofessional, even though the questions were fairly easy.

Interview Question – Describe your weakness   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Member Technical Staff Interview

Member Technical Staff
Noida (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Mentor Graphics.

Interview Details – Well structured interview process, the entire focus was on the areas where you will be contributing during software development itself, a very good and cordial environment and a quick and good HR response.

Interview Question – Got asked quite a few puzzles like - 2 eggs and 100 floor problem.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I interviewed at Mentor Graphics in July 2011.

Interview Details – not easy, 8 rounds, HR interview, Technical interview, Sales interview, Technical manager interview, Technical director interview, Country manager interview, HR manager interview, HR salary interview, and finally is Offer, almost last for 2 months, everyone ask for a lot of questions, and the only one important question I asked is training

Negotiation Details – easy

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mentor Graphics in June 2012.

Interview Details – One interview. I applied as a fresh-grad, so the technical part was basically to check if I could code well enough. Personality fit is extremely important, they are more likely to pass over minor skill deficits than to hire a bad fit.

The real test comes after you get in, you have to stand your ground in a 3-6 months of intro period. This is also the probation time, so you can get out really fast if you do not perform, or do not fit.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

Interviewed at Mentor Graphics

Interview Details – Mentor mainly asks about the concepts in the technical exam interview, they tell you about the exam.
After passing the technical exam, you will sit with a team leader for discussing some of the concepts you learned and may be you will be asked to write some piece of code.
Then you will sit with the HR team and the team manager for discussing your CV and goals.
Only 3 interview phases. Dont be so nasty in any of them. They are not that easy, and they are so tricky.

Interview Question – Writing the code you discussed on a paper, programming concepts, some HW architecture   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, you will get the offer by mail.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mentor Graphics.

Interview Details – Got call from a consultancy for senior software. Next day called for interview. There are 5 round of interviews. First on purely technical. SV, Verilog, UVM, protocol etc.
Next round quiz and next reasoning and implementation next agin technical and then manager called to explain some work ethics and culture and pay etc.

Interview Question – some good question from quiz and reasoning ... should prepare ...   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Cairo (Egypt)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mentor Graphics in July 2013.

Interview Details – IQ, Personality and a technical exam (VHDL/Verilog, C/C++, Perl and Testing Principles), then an interview with the team leaders.
after that, a panel interview.
I applied online, few weeks later they contacted me in order to schedule the technical exam.
the technical exam was very easy (I studeied Perl for the first time during the couple of days between the time they contacted me and the technical test ang got 8/8).
The team interview was very simple and no technical questions were asked (since I did good in the writing exam), and the environment was very positive and friendly.
the panel test after that was no different very friendly and positive.

Interview Question – How long would it take you to leave the company if the position was booring and doesn't improve your technical skills?   Answer Question

Smts Interview

Smts
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mentor Graphics in June 2011.

Interview Details – telephonic
initial screening
1 round of technical on c++
1 round on algos.data structures
1 round of puzzles
by sr manager on current role
1 US intws with director
HR round

Interview Question – java stl data structures bsaic data structures   Answer Question