Mentor Graphics

Updated Nov 21, 2014

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mentor Graphics in October 2008.

From technology question to behaviors question. Long time interviews. Finally get the offer.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Mentor Graphics in June 2008.

I knew the person that was hiring and she was pretty sure she wanted to hire me, so the interviews were a bit of a formality. I did 2 interviews, both pretty standard and routine. Mentor is big, global company, but outside of headquarters things are relatively relaxed, and that's how the interviews felt.

Interview Questions
    • Unfortunately I don't recall the interview questions that were asked.   Answer Question
    Fairly straightforward. There wasn't really any room to negotiate on salary.

Technical Marketing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Mentor Graphics in April 2008.

Since I was already working in Mentor with a different product group. It was an easy migration withing the company. The interview lasted only for about half a day where I was interviewed by my future manager and couple of team members. The questions were mainly to see how my previous experience and education background could fit the new position with a different product.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your work done with a particular set of tools in your current position.   View Answer

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mentor Graphics in March 2008.

Submitted my resume online. Got a call back after two weeks. Did four hours of interviews on site with the team I was applying to. Two days later, I went back for an interview with another team member and VP of R&D. All the interview questions were pretty banal technical stuff, and a couple of brain teasers. Received offer by e-mail the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the bug in a destructor sequence involving multiple inheritance in C++.   View Answer

Low-ball salary.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

interviewed at Mentor Graphics in March 2008.

This actually is an intern phone interview. It went through pretty well as companies are eager to get whatever they can get at that time.

Member of Consulting Staff Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Mentor Graphics in October 2014.

HR contacted me when I put my profile on naukri. Technical round was scheduled using VC. There were 2 technical rounds, first with engineering manager and a team member. second round with 2 interviewers from the same team. The interview was easy. In both rounds they detailed for about 15+ minutes about their product what they work on and how is the working/interworking, etc. Then came a talk with the Director. He also mentioned roles and responsibilities expected from me for this post.

After that I got a call from HR, he asked me to promise him to join the company after he gives me an offer. Then also mentioned that we don't lay off people and only recruit minimum required people and don't recruit people as buffer, etc. He also asked me to send my last 3 months salary slips which I sent him through mail.

Then after 2 days, he again called me and said the director wants to meet you face to face (as he was in Bangalore location). I met with the Director and he again shared me roles and responsibilities and work pressure and complexity of the product, etc.

Then after 2 days, I got a "regret to inform" mail from HR saying that we were so impressed with your qualifications, etc, but we are going ahead with another candidate. Fortunately, we got many people applied for the position.

I don't understand what kind of professionalism it is that ends up taking last company's salary slips and then refuses the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question from HR was "if I give you an offer, you have to promise me that you will join us"   Answer Question

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mentor Graphics in September 2014.

Got a call from the HR and followed by 9-10 rounds of interviews . I interviewed for synthesis apps engineer role. The interviewers were courteous and very gentle in their approach to the entire process. First round was HR screening and i believe it was a bit prolonged for me because i was shifting from a popular product company and so scrutiny was a bit more . Second round was onsite in Bangalore . Interviewer was very kind and right after every question he explained how i could have answered the question in a better way . This sort of continuous feedback really helped me in refining my answers. After that there were 2 more telephonic/skype rounds from Noida office. Then again 2 more onsite interviews and then 3 interviews from USA. all in all the experience was very good. The interviewers also showed a lot of maturity in the way probed rather than showing off what they know or trying to intimidate me.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define clocks for pulse ( not a clock ) that is generated at a particular interval w.r.t to another clock   View Answer

Member Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noida (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mentor Graphics.

Well structured interview process, the entire focus was on the areas where you will be contributing during software development itself, a very good and cordial environment and a quick and good HR response.

Interview Questions
    • Got asked quite a few puzzles like - 2 eggs and 100 floor problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noida (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Mentor Graphics in June 2014.

Resume shortlisting followed by personal interview. The person taking the personal interview was less interested in how much knowledge you have and more in how much you can get instantly out of your presence of mind. All technical questions had a catch associated with them thought the questions were mostly common

Interview Questions
    • What is ostrich algorithm in deadlock recovery?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation as such

Software Development Engineer Interview

Mentor mainly asks about the concepts in the technical exam interview, they tell you about the exam.
    After passing the technical exam, you will sit with a team leader for discussing some of the concepts you learned and may be you will be asked to write some piece of code.
    Then you will sit with the HR team and the team manager for discussing your CV and goals.
    Only 3 interview phases. Dont be so nasty in any of them. They are not that easy, and they are so tricky.

Interview Questions
    • Writing the code you discussed on a paper, programming concepts, some HW architecture   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, you will get the offer by mail.