Meraki

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Meraki.

Interview Details – BIG TIP: If your phone interview is with an Inside Sales Manager named Austin, then you should probably study up on the best way to get through listening to a guy talk about himself for 45 minutes. That's pretty much all you need to know to get yourself to the next level here.

Interview Question – There were actually no questions related to the company.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Meraki.

Interview Details – Internal connection led to one day of three interviews - NA East Sales Manager, NA West Sales Manager and VP of Sales WW Sales. All were prepared and professional. Pretty laid back, very conversational. One manager was more interview'ish - what are your strengths/weaknesses, etc. I really liked the VP of Sales' energy.
Open floor setup spoke to the team environment - desks stacked against one another encouraged peer sharing.
Reps walking around with wireless headsets tossing footballs in the air while selling.

Interview Question – "Sell me a mattress"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Inside Sales Representative

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Meraki.

Interview Details – So this company does't really follow it's own guidelines determining who is qualified and who isn't qualified based on their own set of standards for the position. I really did my homework and went to many networking events and talked with lots of employees about this company, who gets hired and who doesn't get hired.

1st issue: Their job specifications and pre-requiste requirements are completely tossed out the window. There's lots of people in this company who signed on without 2 years of channel selling experience in the dollar range they ask for. What does that mean? They hire you because someone likes you, your merits are irrelevant to the job.

2nd issue: Culture.... it's extremely fraternity and sorority based. Get ready to suck up to people who might like you enough to give you an interview. I was at an event and I over heard a conversation about how Meraki doesn't pay well enough. I'm sorry but this is channel selling, people show up with money in a brown bag and say what do we need, put the package together. Why are you complaining about how much you make when it's a really easy sales cycle.

3rd issue: If you have questions to ask the Sales Managers they never respond.....

So here's the take home. If you are a hard worker and believe in the world of meritocracy I wouldn't waste your time applying because at the end of the day you're not going to fit in. If you were in a panhellenic society in college and have the right social skill set and capital you'll have no problem getting in the door.

Interview Question – Interview is 3-5 hours. 4 rounds.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't like the culture, or the people I would be around.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Meraki in September 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by a new Recruiter via linkedin. She asked for my resume even though she was trying to recruit me. We scheduled a time to talk and she talked my ear off. I thought recruiters are supposed to let the candidates do the talking. She kept me on the phone for an entire hour from all her talking. She did ask me basic questions and then she'd ask the same question 2-3 more times. Either she didn't know what she was doing or she was doing that on purpose to see if I was lying, which I don't appreciate. The first impression was not a good one, she didn't do anything to represent meraki in the best light and make me want to leave my job of 4 years to go to meraki. The recruiter then determined she wanted me to be phone screened by a Manager so I spoke to one of the sales managers. In 5 minutes, he determined I didn't work in channel sales and that I don't have salesforce experience or demo experience because my company uses an inside crm and we have SE's who do all the demos. In 5 min he determined I was not a fit, which she couldn't determine in an hour of talking to me. The sales manager even apologized to me for the recruiter saying she's new and most of the sales team is new and still have a lot to learn. It's upsetting to have to deal with these kinds of recruiters because it wastes time. I didn't have a good impression of meraki and wouldn't interview here again.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Meraki in March 2013.

Interview Details – This company really doesn't have a quality process. I spent two years after them. They contacted me for a first interview process on March of 2011. Then, after a phone interview and a face to face meeting with 4 people, I was asked to show them my revenue declaration or my payslips. Even if not very happy about it I provided what requested. Then they asked for 4 people to speak as references. I gave them, including 2 people who were working with me at that time. After all of this, they didn't come up with an offer and they said they put the position on hold. I was really disappointed. Then I have been contacted again on January of 2013 because they said they opened again the role; I was expecting to have directly an offer, after what happened last time, but they put me again through the same process; then they asked again for payslips or my revenue declaration. I told them I wasn't happy to provide again these things, but anyway I provided those waiting for an offer, but refused to give them again references as I told them that they already had those on the previous time and I didn't change company since then. Again I provided references even if not willing to do it. After two week they still didn't make me an offer and I told them I withdrew my application.
These people don't have idea of what they do; they ask you information about your revenue to make you an offer as lower as possible; but they don't understand that they have to make an offer based on the market average and this is not the way to behave. Also the environment is really unprofessional, lots of people look at you like you are not cool enough to be part of them; on my second interview I was start speaking about my background and a very young ( almost high school way ) sales guy told me that he wanted to hear only numbers. Not for me, thanks!!

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Meraki in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was in the final round of interviews with a couple of companies and my recruiter suggested I give Meraki a shot with my experience, so I obliged. I started with a phone screen which consisted of pretty standard questions. I learned later that my product knowledge weighed heavily on their decision to bring me in, so studying up really paid off. I told them I was in final rounds with other companies, so they were able to expedite the process and get me in that week. I met with 2 Sales Managers, the Inside Sales Director, and the VP of Sales. Walking in, I noticed that there was a really positive energy in the office. A lot of buzz on the sales floor and appeared to be a very autonomous work environment, which was exactly what I was looking for. People were throwing footballs, walking around while talking on the phone, couches in common areas, fully stocked kitchen, etc.. The interviews were structured as a half hour with each person. The questions ranged from my background and experience to my sales strategy and most importantly, product knowledge. I was fortunate enough to come from a tech background, but many of my colleagues did not and watching the videos, reading the website materials, etc. is the best way to prove to the Managers that you have the ability to learn the products and talk technically. Ask about how many Sales Reps are hitting their quotas, it is the highest percentage I have seen for any company I have worked for. Big comp packages are great, but only if the quotas attainable, and at Meraki that is definitely the case.

When it came down to it, I was between two companies and I chose Meraki because the people just seemed really happy there. I can say now after have spent some time working there, I know this to be true. There is a ton of competitive comradery on the sales floor and there are just a lot of really smart people working there. The Founders are the kind of people you want to work for and the CEO is one of the most competent CEO's I have had the pleasure of working for.

My advise if you want to get hired? Study up, be yourself, and show your passion for the company. Take some time to walk the sales floor if you get a chance too. And I won't waste my time commenting on some of the bogus posts on here, but these don't sound like anyone who works at Meraki. I've had some cool jobs, but I can easily say its the best job I have ever had.

Interview Question – Scenerio based questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Meraki

Worked for Meraki? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meraki Inside Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Meraki employees and interview candidates.