Mercer Actuarial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2014

2.8

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

It was definitely a tough process, as it is a highly competitive company. From my school, about 11 people were picked for the interview process (out of over 100 applicants), and only 1 was chosen at the end of three rounds.

Interview Questions
  • If you could work for any business, who would it be and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Mercer

Actuarial Analyst Interview

There was an initial phone interview, and a on-site interview about three weeks later.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

The recruiter was very impressed with my qualifications as an actuary and composer. However, when I arrived for an in-person interview, it seemed I was applying for a position that required 3+ years of experience (I was an entry-level candidate). One of the FSA's had a great conversation with me, but the other one quickly dismissed me after a five minutes 1 on 1 (probably for the previously-mentioned). I was relatively frustrated with the process.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mercer.

All communications between the company and I were done very quickly and effectively, and everyone I talked to was very responsive. The interview process was relaxed and truly allowed me to get a better feel for the company -- the environment created was not the least bit stressful. Everyone was very easy to get along with and it was clear that they were seeking easy-going but very hard-working people. I was notified of their decision the day after my interview, which I greatly appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple brain teasers, but nothing too difficult. The questions were along the lines of "Estimate the number of people in a certain type of situation."   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

After the first round interview, I was contacted a few weeks later for a final round interview on-site. This consisted of a full day interview process including lunch. The interviews varied from formal to relaxed, but none of the questions were unexpected, and I felt like I was prepared for it.

Interview Questions
    • Can you explain why your GPA is so low. This was the only question that I stumbled on (My GPA is not below the 3.0 minimum)   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

I had an interview when they came to my school. Interview was about 30 minutes long but it seemed like it was not that long. The person who interviewed me would ask me questions and I could ask questions whenever I had something that I wanted to ask.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult question but if I were to choose, it'd be one of those difficult PR questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mercer.

Applied online and received a call from someone in HR a few weeks later. She asked me questions that were not specific to the position I had applied for, such as whether or not there were many actuarial jobs available at the moment. (She let me know that she was just trying to determine whether or not I had good communication skills.) At the end of this (for lack of a better description) phone interview, she let me know that I would be contacted to set up an in-person interview one day next week. As the days passed, however, no one got in touch with me. After leaving a few unreturned phone messages with my original HR contact, I finally got in touch with her only to hear they still hadn't set up an interview schedule. Eventually, I was emailed with an interview date 3 weeks after the initial phone call.
    I had 4 1:1 interviews with a lunch with two analysts in between. I was expecting a very rigorous interview process with analytical tests and tough questions, but everyone mostly asked me to just walk me through my resume. Everyone was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It seemed like everyone got along well in the office.
    All in all, my actual interview experience was very pleasant, but my experience with their HR really turned me off to the company. An entire month after my interview, I finally received a rejection email--nothing remotely personal that acknowledged the time I put into the interview process, just a basic form rejection "we had a lot of applicants, thanks for considering us, do not reply". I wasn't thrilled.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest accomplisment?
      What is the difference between working in consulting and insurance? Why are you interested in consulting?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer in April 2012.

Great company with a great work environment. First interview was a phone interview. I then traveled to their office and had an on-site interview. This consisted of 4 1:1 interviews and then went out to lunch with two other actuarial analysts. Overall great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose the college/university that you did?   Answer Question
    I did not pursue negotiations as these salaries are very standardized and based on exam progress.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer in March 2012.

First Round - On-Campus Interview - very relaxed, more to make sure you're not crazy and have passed an actuarial exam
    Second Round - 5 interviewers, some will end up talking about themselves and explaining the job details for 25/30 minutes of the time

Interview Questions
    • Teach me something difficult in plain terms
      How did you get into Actuarial Science
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mercer in February 2012.

I had a short phone interview initially. They then had me drive up to Phoenix (from Tucson) for an all day interview. It was overall a pretty strange experience, I met with 4 different people and none of them really seemed to know they would even be interviewing me that day. I thought they all went well but apparently not because I was not offered a position. Honestly, I'm glad that I wasn't because I likely would have taken it out of desperation (and good pay) despite the fact that the work seems mind-numbingly boring.

Interview Questions
    • One guy asked me how many dogs I estimated that there were in Tucson.   Answer Question

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!