Mercer Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.6

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process included: Initial HR interview Writing, proofreading and presentation assignments in advance of interviews Two onsite interviews with approx eight employees over the course of two days Follow up phone interview After completing the entire process, I received a basic email from HR saying they chose another candidate. I realize that it was an interview and there's no guarantee you will be selected; however, it was a huge time commitment and difficult process. I would have appreciated a more substantial conclusion message.

Interview Questions

• After meeting with so many people, they asked every question you can think of.   Answer Question

Talent Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

Began with a resume and cover letter drop through the on campus career center. First round interview on campus with a basic market sizing part and a brief behavioral part. Final round consisted of four partner interviews, a case interview, and two exams. The partner interviews were primarily behavioral while also asking about experiences. They all wanted to know why Mercer and why Talent consulting. For the case was given a packet of information along with the case questions and was given 10 minutes to analyze the materials and prepare to present analysis to a partner. There was also a math test and a writing test.

Interview Questions

• What is a class that went well for you? Followed up by asking to explain a difficult concept from the class.   Answer Question

Received a competing offer from another consulting firm that was in a more desired consulting field.

Senior Health & Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied through a third party source. Overall process took about <6 weeks but it was definitely due to all the holidays (thanksgiving, xmas, new years). I received a call within 2 weeks and it was a phone interview right away. I was then passed to another hr personnel about a week after that and went through another phone interview. The second phone interview may be just bc she was now the new person handling my application. A week after that she emailed to schedule an in-person interview. The next business day I got a call, took another week or so to complete background checks and submit hr forms, and an formal offer was finally given. I interviewed with 5 people. 3 were formal and 2 were lunch. I enjoyed speaking with all of them. It was very relaxed yet very professional conversation. Everyone was pretty easy to communicate and connect with, which made Mercer even more attractive to me. They were also very informative and effective in describing the work environment and culture. We discussed my prior projects and work experience. One person literally went line by line on my resume and had me describe how that particular project/skill apply to Mercer and the position. What do you know about Mercer? Why do you want to work here? How are you a suitable candidate? Overall it felt like a two way conversation. I asked a lot of questions as well. I have to say the first 2 interviews were very casual and the third threw me off a little bit bc it was more serious than the priors. So my advice is to definitely know your resume and be able to discuss all the challenges, skills, people experience around it. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• What is NOT on your resume that you would like me to know about you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I purposely provided a higher salary expectation, offer was reasonable and I accepted.

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through school for an on-campus interview day. Was notified I was chosen for an interview right away. The interview was very informal and easy going. There were two representatives from the company - a recruiter from HR and an actual investment analyst. The questions they asked were very easy, just to get an idea of who I am and what I've done. They asked why I was interested in Mercer and consulting along with a few things about my resume. There were only 2 behavioral questions. Overall, the interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why Mercer? Why do you think you will be a good consultant? Name a time that you experienced a breakdown in communication and how you handled it. How have you used excel?   Answer Question

Human Capital Consulting Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

First round interview on campus was one thirty-minute case interview and one thirty-minute behavioral. Both interviewers seemed very uninterested in what I was saying and almost as if they felt they were above interviewing, so I was sure I wouldn't get asked back. I did, though, and the second round was a day of interviews in their Chicago office a week later. There was a "technical" interview, two behavioral interviews, a case interview, a quantitative test, a Q&A panel with former interns, and lunch with the other candidates. The technical interview consisted of one of their entry-level consultants showing me a powerpoint she recently did for a client and explaining it to me...not really an interview. The behavioral interviewers were both higher-level guys who were very nice but seemed to not take the interview very seriously. The case interviewer was largely disinterested and completely non-receptive to my questions and comments (although this seems to be their case style - to give as little info as possible and see what you do). The quant test was 30 easy middle-school-level math questions. None of the interviewers responded to my e-mails with thank-you's and questions after the interview, and I also never received a response to any of my e-mails to the contact woman who had coordinated the visits. On top of that, more than a week later, I got a standard-form rejection e-mail that was sent from a recruiting server that you can't reply to, and the message wasn't even personalized with my name or the position I had applied for. After such an extensive and grueling interview process and with virtually no feedback or response from Mercer's employees throughout, such an impersonal and brief rejection was pretty disheartening and said a lot about the company.

Interview Questions

• Case question was about improving profit margins for an Australian airline.   Answer Question
    • Behavioral questions were all mostly about group work and dealing with difficult groups and situations. They were all very specific, though, and basically prescribed the exact situation they wanted you to talk about, so preparing a lot of generic stories beforehand wouldn't necessarily help like it may for other behavioral interviews.   Answer Question

Health and Benefits Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Difficult. Had to explain why I was interested in the position. Straight forward questions. Didn't prepare too well for it. Definitely would have liked to work here. Ability to work wherever you want in the nation.

Investment Consulting Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

The first interview was a 30 minute campus interview, since I applied through career services. The interview was all behavoral, just asking why Mercer, why consulting, and then a ton of time for questions. The second round was at their offices and consisted of 4 back to back 30 minute interviews with the analysts and associates. The interviews just ran through your resume, asked you to talk about it, and then just asked what were your strengths, weaknesses, and why Mercer. No technical question or case problems, just purely get to know you and behavioral questions. Heard back a week later but did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why Mercer? Why Consulting? What do you like about your major?   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

Pretty conversational. Nothing too rigorous. The questions they asked were more about who you are as a person as compared to some companies putting you through a case study format.

PSR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Deerfield, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by two team leaders for about an hour with back and forth questions and answers. Interview began with them asking me about my self and what I knew about the company. Do you research.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you had to deal with a difficult customer and detail how you handled the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

First job out of college, no leverage no negotiations

Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

Met two partners over lunch. They entered the time of the meeting in their calendars incorrectly and called me several times while I was en route to the interview to ask where I was (I arrived ten minutes early). We discussed market dynamics, client projects, opportunities in our respective practice areas, and the way Mercer developed and managed its proprietary intellectual capital. My experience/expertise was broader than the "boxes" they had available (and apparently needed to put me in). Wasn't impressed overall and withdrew my candidacy.