Mercer Health & Benefits

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.8

Mercer Marketplace Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

I applied for the position on Mercer's career webpage, within a week I received a phone call from Mercer's recruiter for a phone screen. The phone screen included discussing my resume/work history, salary expectation, and why Mercer? .... During the course of the phone screen, the recruiter informed me that they are looking to fill the position at the start of the New Year which was at least 3-months out and wanted to know if I'd still be interested. I certainly indicated that with all things being equal, I was willing to wait since it's a company I truly wanted to work for. The recruiter did a fantastic job in keeping me in the loop throughout the coming months by sending e-mails and placing phone calls to me occasionally to see how things were going and my availability. After 2 1/2 months, I received another phone call from the recruiter indicating that they would like to move forward with scheduling interviews, which took place over the course of the Christmas and New Year holidays. I interviewed with a total of 5 individuals over the span of 3 weeks. I had 3 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview with 2 individuals. The interviews were laid-back, but direct. They were interested in knowing what projects I worked on in my previous roles and how can that experience transition into the new role at Mercer. Also, familiarity with Health Benefit terms, PBM knowledge, contracts, and pricing were required. All in all, my personal opinion is that we had very in-depth discussions to determine fit not just based on experience and skills based but also motivation, passion, and drive that shows you truly want the job. Word of Advise - be yourself, be honest, and sound confident about what you know and admit to what you don't know. (Also, know your Resume in and out)!
    Within 3 business days of my last interview, I was notified they wanted to proceed with offering me the position and needed to verify my salary expectations again. Once we decided on a number, within 48 hours I received an official offer letter. Background check took 5 business days to complete and I started exactly two weeks of signing the offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Talk to me about the last project you worked on?   Answer Question
    • I see you indicated Trend analysis on your resume, what trends did you monitor/perform?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with AWP, Carve-In and Carve-out?   Answer Question
    • What is the one thing you've learned from working remotely?   Answer Question

Health & Benefits Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

I applied through College Recruiting, I had interviews with several different offices - initial interviews on campus with Denver and Phoenix and then a phone interview with the Phoenix office, eventually I was told that the Houston office would fly me down for interviews. The day was grueling and long, I had 4 interviews, and then lunch, and then 4 more interviews. The people were all very nice to me and overall it was a great experience, just an exhausting day in general.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone seemed to ask me "why Mercer"? That was the hardest one for me because honestly I was just looking for an internship, I wasn't being really picky about where I would get one.   Answer Question

Health & Benefits Actuarial Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits in December 2014.

Had a brief interview/screening at a career fair at University. About a week later I was invited for 5 hours of interviews/lunch. After a brief introduction, I interviewed with 3 different people individually. All were nice and asked general questions about myself and about how I work. Some were more relaxed while others stuck to a standard interview format. Afterward, there was a data analysis/case study section where each candidate had to correct errors on spreadsheets and a powerpoint. Overall, a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you allocate time to your work, what are your priorities?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

I was tracked down by a recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with me. After the phone interview, I went through12 face-to-face interviews. The majority of the questions by the interviewers were the same. In general the interview process was easy but time consuming.

Interview Questions
    • I only had one semi-challenging interviewer who asked me situational questions. I actually welcomed questions that were not elementary. I interviewed back in 2007 and I know the process has changed since then. The company is currently in the process of heavily recruiting college graduates from the area.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a signing bonus but not base pay

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

The first round is on campus interview, the next day, I was invited to an on-site interview 4 1:1 with lunch. The interview is still on going, the first interview is really relax and easy. The people from mercer are extremely nice. Overall so far it's a wonderful experience.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

Part of on campus interview. The interview was an interesting experience. The question were basic HR question that the interviewer read off of a sheet as the interview went along. Only tough question was a technical question about excel formulas. There was only one round of interviews and then they did offer. The interviewer did not seem too excited throughout the interview, could have been a bad day for him.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question was a technical question asking to describe specific excel functions and a time when you used them.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

On-campus interview with two actuaries. They came to our school as part of a career fair and since we were three hours away they held interviews on-site and we had to apply ahead of time to be selected.

Interview Questions
    • Given a a topic that we had to explain to them, like a math concept.   Answer Question

Employee Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits in August 2014.

Applied through a recruiter. I heard from them within a week and then scheduled an interview for the following week. Interview was pretty standard for most of these kinds of positions. Past experience, scenarios, etc. Heard back from the recruiter the next day with an offer. The training class didn't start for almost 4 weeks following that however in the interim the background check they do is fairly crazy but passed just fine. Overall somewhat tedious but mostly painless.

Interview Questions
    • Are you okay with there being no guarantee of this turning into a permanent job?   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbandale, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbandale, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

Good interview process. Went smoothly. Recruiter was straightforward and honest as she could be.

Quick and easy.

Participant Services Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Mercer Health & Benefits.

I had one interview that went very well with someone from Mercer but was contracted through an employment agency where I had a prior interview.