Mercer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Mercer (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was very interpersonal. I was interviewed by two gentlemen and they both made me feel very comfortable and very much at easy when it came to answering questions. The interview was an hour long and both gentleman gave me a very clear picture of what my role would be if I got the position at mercer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about your previous roles.
      Give me one strength and one weakness.

Answer Question

Owner Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Mercer (Louisville, KY) in June 2015.

Interview

The online app was easy. The recruiter was very nice. General history of employment, she went over % pay and fixed costs. She explained driver planner and load board. A plus was the l/p of a new trailer and the terms. Have to wait 3 weeks for the new trailer was a downside.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

Fairly standard interviewing process. The process started with a 30 minute phone interview with two of the senior analysts from the group. Heard back a few days later that I was moving on in the process. Had a 4 hour "super day" where I met several members of the team. Overall, a fairly relaxed process.

Interview Questions

• Two situation "case" questions that were somewhat of a surprise since it isn't a consulting position.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mercer.

Interview

It was based off of recruiting. I met with the recruiter and had a conversation. After that they bring you in to interview at the actual company with the HR person who works there. You usually interview with a bunch of people. It was a call center job so the emphasis was on customer service. The training process is pretty in depth as they have you learn health care information, 401k information, absence management information. The hours are long and there is not much time given away from your desk. Your time is tracked in a system pretty tightly.

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process included:

Initial HR interview
    Writing, proofreading and presentation assignments in advance of interviews
    Two onsite interviews with approx eight employees over the course of two days
    Follow up phone interview

After completing the entire process, I received a basic email from HR saying they chose another candidate. I realize that it was an interview and there's no guarantee you will be selected; however, it was a huge time commitment and difficult process. I would have appreciated a more substantial conclusion message.

Interview Questions

• After meeting with so many people, they asked every question you can think of.   Answer Question

Human Capital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

It started off well. I had a recruiter contact me for the position and she followed up with an email link to do a video interview. The next week I heard back from the coordinator to set up an hour phone interview with two members of my team. I was given a conference line and dialed in 5 minutes before I was scheduled. I waited at least 15 for the interviewer to dial in before I sent an email to the coordinator. The coordinator responded to me that the 1st interviewer had an "emergency" and could not make the call and to wait for the 2nd interviewer. I wish I had known this ahead of time. But I spoke with the second interviewer on time and it went pretty well I'm assuming. The coordinator then reached back out to me to reschedule the interview that the first interviewer missed. So the day comes for me to interview with the other interviewer and guess what... she arrives late for that interview as well! At this point I questioned if I even wanted to work for this company because of just the unprofessionalism. Very disappointing experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

Fairly simple process. I talked to them at the career fair, had a phone interview, and was flown out for an in office interview in Phoenix. The team was nice but the work was not very exciting. The interns are not given a serious form of responsibility.

Interview Questions

I wanted a place where I was more than a spreadsheet jockey.

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

Mercer came to a campus career fair. Meet the recruiters there and then was offered an interview slot on campus. Before the interview they requested you to submit a pretty general online application through their website. The interview itself was very laid back with one of their more senior consultants. We talked through the position and then he went through my resume looking at the different aspects he thought would be helpful to the position. Mostly resume talk, some behavioral questions and one problem solving question.

Talent Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

8:30 AM: 30 minute quantitative test (not too hard, but long, so most do not finish)
    9:00 AM: 30 minute behavioral interview with a senior manager
    9:30 AM: 30 minute behavioral interview with a partner
    10:00 AM: 1.5 hour technical interview (using excel...not necessarily judging you based on your skill level with excel but rather your analytical ability)
    11:30 AM: 30 minute behavioral interview with a partner
    12:00 PM: 1.5 hour lunch with other Talent Analysts/Consultants
    1:30 PM: 45 minute case study

I really enjoyed my experience. From partners to analysts, everyone was engaging, and just wanted to get to know you.

Preferred another location

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

A headhunter contacted me through LinkedIn. We spoke; I sent her my resume; we spoke again. She then submitted me as a candidate and I had a phone interview with a partner based on the West Coast. That went well and he then asked me to meet by phone with a woman who would be a colleague. She and I spoke for an hour. I then had an entire day of interviews, beginning with a team phone interview with two people based in another city (the practice leader and another partner). I then went into the New York office for three face-to-face interviews, including one with a more junior person whom I will be mentoring, one with another peer and one with the global head of the business.) They knew that I had other offers and that they would have to move quickly. The headhunter got a call the next day indicating that they were moving forward. The verbal offer the following day (two days after my in-person interviews).

Interview Questions

• Q: I have a client facing situation x and they want us to do y about it. What's your take? How would you handle the situation?   1 Answer
    • Q: What have you done in the past to build a book of business?   1 Answer