Mercer

Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer.

I applied via Taleo online. Four days later I was called by a recruiter about the position and we talked about the position (interview format) for about an hour. A week later I talked with one of the heads of the company at the site I'd be working at and we interviewed for about an hour. I then was flown out for an interview at their Phoenix location. I interviewed with 9 people back to back over lunch. The time in the interview was from 8am-12:30pm and then I flew home. Such a shame I wasn't selected - their company was very professional and I would have liked (and still would like) to work for them. Luckily the recruiter told me he's looking to put me in other positions - very professional of him.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How many gallons are contained in all the swimming pools in Phoenix?
      2. What does a Vlookup do?
      3. What macros have you made?
      4. Would you see yourself in a team environment like this one? Use evidence.
      5. Would you see yourself in a dynamic workplace? Use evidence.
      6. What is your proficiency in Excel?
      7. Tell me more about your past mathematical modeling positions.
      8. Tell us about actuarial exams.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer.

applied through college career website. got an on campus interview.
    They ask all behavioral questions
    I think they ended up taking the intern so the position is closed.
    One of the hardest question was : What did you learn from the client meeting?

Interview Questions
    • Why do you like Mercer?
      Why should we hire you?
      What did you learn from the client meeting?

View Answer

Winter Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Mercer.

Very casual, basically just a bunch of fit questions to get to know me. The woman seemed genuinely interested, she was very young, just a few years out of college. Very friendly and seemed almost informal.

Interview Questions
    • What are your Strengths and Weaknesses? Tell me about some leadership experiences you've had in the past? What is a time you've worked on a team? walk me through your resume. If you could pick one company you admire, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer in January 2015.

Submitted resume online. I received a call 3 months after submitting resume from a recruiter that appeared not be interested in me or my questions. I assumed I was not a good candidate for the role. One week later I received another call from a different Recruiter that received my resume from the original Recruiter. Had a telephone interview with a recruiter and a couple weeks later with one of the Principals. The telephone interview with the Principal was great and provided a lot of details about the role and the company. A month later I was scheduled for a 4 hour interview with potential peers and managers. I was placed in a conference room with a bottle of water and each individual was scheduled 30 minutes each. My preference would be a panel as they all asked basically the same questions. Most questions were behavioral questions and reviewing my resume. After meeting with the first four individuals I was mentally exhausted and felt the questions were repetitive. One of the consultants made a statement that let me know I would not be interested in the positon. She stated: “I will be honest with you, this role will do the “grunt” work. You will be doing tasks that no one else want to do.” I am not sure if she wanted to see my reaction or not interested in me working on her team. I do not feel that was a good piece of information to share with a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when...? Why do you feel you would be a good fit for this role? Tell me about yourself? What made you apply for this role?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Mercer.

Very rigorous process. Three behavioral interviews, three case interviews, and a lunch. With this group, best to have informational interviews in advance to get to know the people. Hiring decisions were made collectively by the group of interviewers. Tough interview process, not what you'd typically expect for HR consulting.

Interview Questions
    • Technical case about human capital related issues and strategy.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Mercer.

Intense interview process. First you submit application, if chosen you then have a brief phone interview. If they like you then you are called in for a formal interview. In the formal interview there is a written test followed by a series of individuals interviewing you one-on-one back to back.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Mercer.

I applied through the school website and get the interview on campus. Around 15 students at our school get the interview, and I think the process goes well. Not many difficult problems and it is a conversational format. Received notification after a while to say result comes out in a week. The second round is on site interview. But did not get it.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mercer.

I applied for this job on the campus reception. The interview process was efficient. But it took me 4 weeks to get the result. The recruiter just went over my resume and answered my question. He asked me if I have taken any risk management courses and told me the importance of time management.

Interview Questions
    • No specified question. Just chat and gave me advice on my future career. Nice talk indeed   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer in November 2014.

Communications from Mercer were a little slow. The final round interview was a half day of interviews followed by a lunch. The interviews were just them getting to know you to see if you fit.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer in November 2014.

Applied through the university career website and was invited for an on campus interview. It was a 1 on 1 interview that lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer just went through my resume and had me talk about my experiences. There weren't any particularly difficult questions.

I found out that I was invited back for an on-site interview just 2 days later along with 5 other people. That was a half day of 1 on 1 interviews which ended with a group lunch. Those interviews were rather informal and were mostly similar to the on campus one. The interview really depended on the person doing the interviewing so the difficulty varied. They didn't ask me any technical questions. It seemed like they were trying to assess your work ethic and competence but also your personality to see if you would fit in.

I believe that between 20-25 of us were invited to the 1st interview and 6 were selected.

Interview Questions
    • Give me 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. You have 30 seconds. Go!   Answer Question