Mercer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.9

Talent Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

8:30 AM: 30 minute quantitative test (not too hard, but long, so most do not finish) 9:00 AM: 30 minute behavioral interview with a senior manager 9:30 AM: 30 minute behavioral interview with a partner 10:00 AM: 1.5 hour technical interview (using excel...not necessarily judging you based on your skill level with excel but rather your analytical ability) 11:30 AM: 30 minute behavioral interview with a partner 12:00 PM: 1.5 hour lunch with other Talent Analysts/Consultants 1:30 PM: 45 minute case study I really enjoyed my experience. From partners to analysts, everyone was engaging, and just wanted to get to know you.

Preferred another location

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

A headhunter contacted me through LinkedIn. We spoke; I sent her my resume; we spoke again. She then submitted me as a candidate and I had a phone interview with a partner based on the West Coast. That went well and he then asked me to meet by phone with a woman who would be a colleague. She and I spoke for an hour. I then had an entire day of interviews, beginning with a team phone interview with two people based in another city (the practice leader and another partner). I then went into the New York office for three face-to-face interviews, including one with a more junior person whom I will be mentoring, one with another peer and one with the global head of the business.) They knew that I had other offers and that they would have to move quickly. The headhunter got a call the next day indicating that they were moving forward. The verbal offer the following day (two days after my in-person interviews).

Interview Questions

• Q: I have a client facing situation x and they want us to do y about it. What's your take? How would you handle the situation?   1 Answer
    • Q: What have you done in the past to build a book of business?   1 Answer

Government Health Care Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Had an on campus interview with 2 employees that was mostly behavioral and fit, was pretty straight forward. Second round interview was long! Had 5 interviews with 2 employees back to back with one being a lunch interview. As with most of these super days as you get later on in the day the interviewers have more experience and are higher up. Everything was behavioral and fit for all interviews. They want to know that you love excel and can work in a team atmosphere all the time. It was explained numerous times that the job was 90% excel work, building and improving models, and they want to know you are proficient with it and have intellectual curiosity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the excel model you are most proud of and why? What did you do right?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to error check a co workers work   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I applied via Taleo online. Four days later I was called by a recruiter about the position and we talked about the position (interview format) for about an hour. A week later I talked with one of the heads of the company at the site I'd be working at and we interviewed for about an hour. I then was flown out for an interview at their Phoenix location. I interviewed with 9 people back to back over lunch. The time in the interview was from 8am-12:30pm and then I flew home. Such a shame I wasn't selected - their company was very professional and I would have liked (and still would like) to work for them. Luckily the recruiter told me he's looking to put me in other positions - very professional of him.

Interview Questions

• 1. How many gallons are contained in all the swimming pools in Phoenix? 2. What does a Vlookup do? 3. What macros have you made? 4. Would you see yourself in a team environment like this one? Use evidence. 5. Would you see yourself in a dynamic workplace? Use evidence. 6. What is your proficiency in Excel? 7. Tell me more about your past mathematical modeling positions. 8. Tell us about actuarial exams.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

applied through college career website. got an on campus interview. They ask all behavioral questions I think they ended up taking the intern so the position is closed. One of the hardest question was : What did you learn from the client meeting?

Interview Questions

• Why do you like Mercer? Why should we hire you? What did you learn from the client meeting?   1 Answer

Winter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

Very casual, basically just a bunch of fit questions to get to know me. The woman seemed genuinely interested, she was very young, just a few years out of college. Very friendly and seemed almost informal.

Interview Questions

• What are your Strengths and Weaknesses? Tell me about some leadership experiences you've had in the past? What is a time you've worked on a team? walk me through your resume. If you could pick one company you admire, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through university. Had short phone interview basically walking through my resume and asking behavioral questions. Be sure to know your resume and how your skills line up with the position. Didn't get invited for a second round.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a time when you had to work with incomplete data and how you managed.   Answer Question
    • How are your time management skills and describe your personal time management process.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Mercer (Southfield, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a very comfortable environment and the staff that did the interviewing was very nice. It felt like we were having a conversation instead of being grilled about what I did or didn't know. I met with a total of five employees ranging in experience. I also had the chance to ask questions about their actuarial student program.

Interview Questions

• Normal "why do you want to intern here?" and "tell us about your experience" type questions.   Answer Question

Health and Benefits Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Through an on campus recruiting system I was selected for first round interviews on campus. One on one with an associate. Second round was on site and consisted of 7 back to back interviews (lunch in between) with analysts, associates, and principals. Questions were mainly behavioral and healthcare based. Process took 3-4 weeks.

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume online. I received a call 3 months after submitting resume from a recruiter that appeared not be interested in me or my questions. I assumed I was not a good candidate for the role. One week later I received another call from a different Recruiter that received my resume from the original Recruiter. Had a telephone interview with a recruiter and a couple weeks later with one of the Principals. The telephone interview with the Principal was great and provided a lot of details about the role and the company. A month later I was scheduled for a 4 hour interview with potential peers and managers. I was placed in a conference room with a bottle of water and each individual was scheduled 30 minutes each. My preference would be a panel as they all asked basically the same questions. Most questions were behavioral questions and reviewing my resume. After meeting with the first four individuals I was mentally exhausted and felt the questions were repetitive. One of the consultants made a statement that let me know I would not be interested in the positon. She stated: “I will be honest with you, this role will do the “grunt” work. You will be doing tasks that no one else want to do.” I am not sure if she wanted to see my reaction or not interested in me working on her team. I do not feel that was a good piece of information to share with a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...? Why do you feel you would be a good fit for this role? Tell me about yourself? What made you apply for this role?   Answer Question