Mercer

2.9

Talent Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer in October 2014.

Was referred by current Analyst at Mercer. The first round was two 30-minute phone interviews, back to back. The first call asked me to briefly walk through my resume, then had a technical case based on a real project the interviewer had just finished. The case about compensation and retirement. The interviewer would ask probing questions about your reasoning and add more information to the problem. The second phone interview was more behavioral questions, how you were a leader or worked well in teams. It was soon after my phone interviews that I was invited to the LA office for a half day of interviews. The day comprised of a casual lunch, a fit interview, a leadership interview, a technical case, a strategy case, and a report walk-through. We were given a short bio of each interviewer and had breaks between interviews. Each interviewer was assigned one type of interview, and all the interviewees were rotated through them (everyone was assigned a different schedule). All interviews were 1:1. Was a fairly rigorous process, but overall friendly atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest questions for me were the mental math questions during the fit interview. Be prepared to do long division and percentages of large numbers quickly.   Answer Question

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer.

First had a couple phone interviews, and this led to an in person interview with about 6 people (one at a time) and then concluded with lunch out with two of the newer actuaries (the position I was applying for). Everyone was nice and I thought everything went well, but I got a generic letter a couple weeks later stating that I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too tricky, typical questions about my past work experience.   Answer Question

Human Capital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in August 2014.

Applied through university website. Was selected for an interview the following week. It was a face to face interview for 30 minutes. The interviewer was very nice and respectful. The interview itself was pretty easy, mostly behavioral with a few brainteasers and mini case questions. He was really interested in seeing how I described my thought process rather than if I came up with the exact answer he had come up with.

Interview Questions
    • How many coins could you lay end to end from here to your favorite restaurant?   Answer Question

Senior Investment Consulting Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Mercer.

First step: computer based test of quantitative and written skills. Questions are directly linked to what you'll be doing day to day. Second/third steps: phone interview then 1-1 then panel interview with team. Hiring can be a long process since senior staff is often traveling. Once hired, not much room for negotiation and start date pretty much immediate.

Meager

Participant Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Mercer in July 2014.

Went through recruiter, submit resume and cover letter, took tests, interview with 2 Mercer associates came three weeks later. Once i walked in the interview was set. I answered questions thoroughly. You would think they would want someone who understood the company and their procedures and knowledge of what the job entails and things you would go over while training. Asked company questions and in return gave a run around answer. Didn't ask of what qualifies although did ask questions about performance and customer service skills which I aced in since i had more than 4+ years experience. I didnt get to voice what i knew about benefits, administration, investments, Mercer as a whole and the other 3 subsidiaries and how they operate which i wish i had the chance. The atmosphere was a sort of intimidation discrimination. Really wanted to work there during the intial process since majoring in Human Resources but this process signified that this sadly just wasnt the company for me.

-Reading reviews and interviews helped give light to the job culture of Mercer in Houston.

Interview Questions
    • -Market trends
      -customer influence
      - strategies
      -things that contribute to company growth
      Etc.

Answer Question

Participant Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in July 2014.

I interviewed through a staffing agency.

I interviewed with one person and it was fairly comfortable and simple. They asked many questions about customer service and were very focused on if you could multi-task. I received an offer within 2 days, but it's the process after being hired that takes for ever. The background check is extremely thorough, so do not lie on your application. They go through Hireright. They actually wanted a copy of my high school diploma!

No negotiation, my staffing agency gave me an amount and I accepted.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer.

Applied through university career website. Was asked to interview. Straightforward, behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions...wasn't expecting to be asked about my boss and a situation in which I dealt with him/her.   Answer Question

Communications Intern - Talent Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in April 2014.

I applied online and received a call about a week later from an associate. She asked me a few basic questions (like why Mercer) and then said she would forward my resume to the next step. A week later I interviewed with the team I would be working with. I had four 30 minute interviews and a two hour writing test that wasn't too difficult. The interviews involved pretty basic experience and behavioral questions and the interviewers were extremely nice and easy to talk to. I got a call a week later offering me the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • When have you had to work with a difficult person in a group and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Their offer was already much higher than expected so I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Health and Benefits Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in April 2014.

Starts with phone screen, then you get a phone interview with an associate/principal. After that they bring you in to their office for 4 15 minutes interviews. Questions were based on fit, rather than skill

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interviewed by 4 interviewers and have a lunch. Most of the questions are listed in glass door. All interviewers asked me what are the differences btw consulting firm and insurance company.