Mercer Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Senior Health & Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Mercer in January 2014.

I applied through a third party source. Overall process took about <6 weeks but it was definitely due to all the holidays (thanksgiving, xmas, new years). I received a call within 2 weeks and it was a phone interview right away. I was then passed to another hr personnel about a week after that and went through another phone interview. The second phone interview may be just bc she was now the new person handling my application. A week after that she emailed to schedule an in-person interview. The next business day I got a call, took another week or so to complete background checks and submit hr forms, and an formal offer was finally given.

I interviewed with 5 people. 3 were formal and 2 were lunch. I enjoyed speaking with all of them. It was very relaxed yet very professional conversation. Everyone was pretty easy to communicate and connect with, which made Mercer even more attractive to me. They were also very informative and effective in describing the work environment and culture.

We discussed my prior projects and work experience. One person literally went line by line on my resume and had me describe how that particular project/skill apply to Mercer and the position. What do you know about Mercer? Why do you want to work here? How are you a suitable candidate? Overall it felt like a two way conversation. I asked a lot of questions as well. I have to say the first 2 interviews were very casual and the third threw me off a little bit bc it was more serious than the priors. So my advice is to definitely know your resume and be able to discuss all the challenges, skills, people experience around it.

Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • What is NOT on your resume that you would like me to know about you?   View Answer
    I purposely provided a higher salary expectation, offer was reasonable and I accepted.

Benefits Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

A phone interview followed by an in-person (large) panel interview a few weeks later. Many of the questions were behavioral. You can find lists of these kinds of questions online or at the library. Practice answering the questions that seem relevant. Try to imagine which questions would be appropriate to the job and practice answering those. Even better, get a friend to ask you questions so you can realistically evaluate your ability to answer. It also helps to know your resume inside and out and use your imagination a little. You will be better prepared, especially for questions regarding situations that you aren't familiar with.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terrible, but you need to be familiar with behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Client Services Team Leader Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

Group interview. 2 at a time with 3 rounds. Each round focuses on diferent categories like leadership, experience, troubleshooting etc.

Interview Questions
    • Just the "tell me about a time when you used blank to get blank. The made up situational questions. Nothing was very hard at all. Easiest interview I had.   Answer Question
    Recruiter talking about how this is the best offer they could give. They wanted to hash out as much as possible first as it took over a week to submit the full written offer and get approved at corporate. They did negotiate when I said I wouldnt consider an offer that low.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

There was an initial phone interview, and a on-site interview about three weeks later.

Client Services Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Norwood, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Norwood, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mercer in November 2013.

Applied mid-Oct. Next day receive e-mail for phone screen. 2 1/2 wks later recruiter e-mails with alternate position, setup w/interview for following wk, afterward invited to meet w/hiring mgr. 3 wks later recruiter responds to my e-mail that team moved on. Feedback sought from hiring mgr - silence deafening!

Director of Corporate Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Mercer in July 2012.

I got a call from a headhunter when I was working in NYC about the job which was based in Philadelphia. She knew from my Linkedin profile that I was from Philadelphia originally. Two weeks after the call, I had a short phone interview with Human Resources over the phone. Two weeks later I went in for onsite interviews with the team.

Interview Questions
    • It was a case question on a cultural issue a firm was having.   View Answer
    Very quick, the number was close, and I negotiated an additional $5K.

Human Capital Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

It was half an hour of behavioral interview, followed by half an hour of case interview. The case interview was a business strategy case, it was not a human capital case. It was basically a market entry/ growth strategy case, not numerical more qualitative, although they asked me how I would approach the question if I had related numbers.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about a time when I had to prioritize things to do and what I did. This questions is pretty difficult because technically all you can say is: I prioritized them, but they are asking you how.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

The recruiter was very impressed with my qualifications as an actuary and composer. However, when I arrived for an in-person interview, it seemed I was applying for a position that required 3+ years of experience (I was an entry-level candidate). One of the FSA's had a great conversation with me, but the other one quickly dismissed me after a five minutes 1 on 1 (probably for the previously-mentioned). I was relatively frustrated with the process.

Actuarial Consulting Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Mercer.

Really laid back interview. Walkthrough of resume and simple behavioral questions.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mercer.

All communications between the company and I were done very quickly and effectively, and everyone I talked to was very responsive. The interview process was relaxed and truly allowed me to get a better feel for the company -- the environment created was not the least bit stressful. Everyone was very easy to get along with and it was clear that they were seeking easy-going but very hard-working people. I was notified of their decision the day after my interview, which I greatly appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple brain teasers, but nothing too difficult. The questions were along the lines of "Estimate the number of people in a certain type of situation."   Answer Question