Mercer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

2.9

Communications Intern - Talent Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about a week later from an associate. She asked me a few basic questions (like why Mercer) and then said she would forward my resume to the next step. A week later I interviewed with the team I would be working with. I had four 30 minute interviews and a two hour writing test that wasn't too difficult. The interviews involved pretty basic experience and behavioral questions and the interviewers were extremely nice and easy to talk to. I got a call a week later offering me the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to work with a difficult person in a group and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Their offer was already much higher than expected so I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Health and Benefits Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in April 2014.

Interview

Starts with phone screen, then you get a phone interview with an associate/principal. After that they bring you in to their office for 4 15 minutes interviews. Questions were based on fit, rather than skill

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interview

Interviewed by 4 interviewers and have a lunch. Most of the questions are listed in glass door. All interviewers asked me what are the differences btw consulting firm and insurance company.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

Began with a resume and cover letter drop through the on campus career center. First round interview on campus with a basic market sizing part and a brief behavioral part. Final round consisted of four partner interviews, a case interview, and two exams. The partner interviews were primarily behavioral while also asking about experiences. They all wanted to know why Mercer and why Talent consulting. For the case was given a packet of information along with the case questions and was given 10 minutes to analyze the materials and prepare to present analysis to a partner. There was also a math test and a writing test.

Interview Questions

• What is a class that went well for you? Followed up by asking to explain a difficult concept from the class.   Answer Question

Received a competing offer from another consulting firm that was in a more desired consulting field.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

The lower level employees, who interviewed me were extremely knowledgeable, helpful and seemed to have a genuine interest in getting to know me. The executive, who interviewed did not even bring a pen to take notes. She did not even glance over my resume before sitting down for the interview.

Interview Questions

• The difficult part was not the questions, but my inability to connect with the executive conducting my last interview. She seemed so uninterested that I left unsure of why I ever had an interview to begin with.   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mercer (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Corporate Recruiting contacted me about the position and after a review of my most current resume, etc they requested a phone interview with the recruiter. Phone interview lasted about an hour. We shared the time equally covering the general overview of the position, the company, and my background. No difficult questions - just basic review of my background and experience. Recruiter said I was an excellent candidate and would recommend I move on to an in-person interview, which I completed a week later. Hiring manager seemed very capable and knowledgeable. In the interview she utilized results from the personality test that was administered via email/web from corporate HR. Interview lasted an hour and a half with typical how would you handle this type of scenario questions, what are the qualities of your preferred manager, and why do you want to work here. Overall process was positive except they never bothered to let me know they hired someone else, which I hear is typical these days, but unprofessional and rude, in my opinion so I rated the process as negative.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer.

Interview

It was definitely a tough process, as it is a highly competitive company. From my school, about 11 people were picked for the interview process (out of over 100 applicants), and only 1 was chosen at the end of three rounds.

Interview Questions

• If you could work for any business, who would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

I initially applied through Mercer's career page online as a college hire after being invited to an information session at their office. After applying, I received a call 2 months later asking me to come in for an interview. The on-site interview was 2 hours long, with four 30 minute behavioral interviews. Most questions revolved around my resume (education, how my previous experience relates to the job, etc.). One interviewer asked me common behavioral questions (tell me about a time when ...). I received a call two days later to take the writing test (I believe this is mainly for the communication practice). The test took me the entire 3 hours and it was very exhaustive.

Interview Questions

• No truly difficult questions. They are trying to figure out if you're a good fit for their organization.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They met my requested salary range. Not much negotiation needed since this was my top choice.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in March 2014.

Interview

After an initial telephone screening and follow up email in which they said they weren't interested, they came back to me because my background matched with their client. I came in for an in-person interview with the hiring manager who would have been my supervisor.

Overall, a very positive experience, good company and friendly people even though I was not selected. They indicated that they were willing to train and assist me in getting the necessary health and insurance license to be able to represent the company to the client. I also appreciated the insights and transparency in terms of expectations and the challenges associated with the position as well as developments at Mercer.

They also offered feedback after I wasn't selected -- told me that I interviewed well but they found someone with my background who also had an insurance background.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall anything difficult (typical HR questions in terms of your strengths and weaknesses) but I guess I was a bit surprised that I was asked about salary expectations -- "Would $XX salary be okay?" -- at a level about $10K more than the telephone screener asked if I was willing to accept.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mercer.

Interview

The interviewer was very easy to talk to. This interview was tough. I was asked a mixture of questions directly about resume experiences and behavioral-based questions. My first round interview was tough and I was told I would hear back in a few weeks. It took so long to hear back that I had already interviewed with numerous other companies and accepted another offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to operate without a safety net.   Answer Question