Mercer Interview Questions

2.9

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

Applied through school for an on-campus interview day. Was notified I was chosen for an interview right away.

The interview was very informal and easy going. There were two representatives from the company - a recruiter from HR and an actual investment analyst. The questions they asked were very easy, just to get an idea of who I am and what I've done. They asked why I was interested in Mercer and consulting along with a few things about my resume. There were only 2 behavioral questions.

Overall, the interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Why Mercer?
      Why do you think you will be a good consultant?
      Name a time that you experienced a breakdown in communication and how you handled it.
      How have you used excel?
        Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Mercer did their hiring for this position through the Randstad agency. The initial Randstad phone interview was excellent. The interviewer did not read from a script but asked questions to get at the meat of my experience and what I was looking for in a position. (no phony "tell me of a time that you....")
    After the phone interview I was sent a link to take an on line test (the test is from Mercer, not from the agency) The test was personality (similar to an MBTI test) math (lots of percentage and ratios) and a call center simulation that I found enjoyable.
    Two days after completing the on line test I found another job so will not be accepting the request for an interview. However I was impressed by the Mercer test and am betting they hire quality staff and I would have liked working there.

Interview Questions
    • The math questions were surprising in their complexity. If you take x number of calls per shift and of those y many sign up for services, and you have been increasing your call taking and success rate by z% per shift how many more calls do you need to take to reach n number of successful calls by the end of your next shift.   Answer Question

I stopped the application process because I received another offer that I had been pursuing. Had that offer not come up, I would have gladly continued talking with Mercer. In fact, I have referred my friends to apply there.

Temp Interview

Got hired by an outside agency and worked for company that merged with Mercer--got hired at Mercer as a temp as a result of merger.

Interview Questions
    • None. The interview was easy. I was offered the job the following day.   Answer Question

Participant Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norwood, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Mercer in July 2013.

They asked a lot of behavioral questions. They like it when you ask a lot of complicated questions. They want you to be a quick thinker and be a quick learner.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when something you tried to accomplish And failed. Tell me about a recent situation in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or coworker. Give me an example of a time when you used your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

Great experience. Had 3 phone interviews, mostly behavioral questions and probing into my resume and trying to find out everything I have done.

Interview with 5 different staff members, lots of questions based on my resume, and lost of scenario based questions were asked.

None, it was non negotiable.

Client Service Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer in June 2013.

Initially communicated with recruiter and set up an interview. I interviewed with three different teams in one day. I heard back a few weeks later and was offered the position

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest regret so far career or schooling wise?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate salary - good starting base pay and benefits

Client Service Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mercer.

This was a long process that started in March and I received the offer in late May of that year. Interviewing with Mercer requires great patience.

Interview Questions
    It was good and right in line with the expectation I had set.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mercer.

Applied online and received a call from someone in HR a few weeks later. She asked me questions that were not specific to the position I had applied for, such as whether or not there were many actuarial jobs available at the moment. (She let me know that she was just trying to determine whether or not I had good communication skills.) At the end of this (for lack of a better description) phone interview, she let me know that I would be contacted to set up an in-person interview one day next week. As the days passed, however, no one got in touch with me. After leaving a few unreturned phone messages with my original HR contact, I finally got in touch with her only to hear they still hadn't set up an interview schedule. Eventually, I was emailed with an interview date 3 weeks after the initial phone call.
    I had 4 1:1 interviews with a lunch with two analysts in between. I was expecting a very rigorous interview process with analytical tests and tough questions, but everyone mostly asked me to just walk me through my resume. Everyone was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It seemed like everyone got along well in the office.
    All in all, my actual interview experience was very pleasant, but my experience with their HR really turned me off to the company. An entire month after my interview, I finally received a rejection email--nothing remotely personal that acknowledged the time I put into the interview process, just a basic form rejection "we had a lot of applicants, thanks for considering us, do not reply". I wasn't thrilled.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest accomplisment?
      What is the difference between working in consulting and insurance? Why are you interested in consulting?
        Answer Question

Human Capital Intern Interview

There were 5 rounds of interview. 2 with principals, 2 with partners and 1 with senior associate. Mercer is very compensation focused, so the interviews was largely around justifying my experience in compensation. There was also a case study. It was a simple case on designing a Talent Strategy for a Management Consulting Company.

Interview Questions
    • Justifying a compensation background, Examples of how I used Data Analytic at work,   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer in April 2013.

Had a short phone interview asking about why I was considering the position and other behavioral questions. She asked me why I picked my major, and asked me to explain my previous job experience. The interviewer was very friendly and said that she would set up another phone interview with another hiring manager. However, that phone call was never scheduled. I contacted by phone and email, finally two weeks later she replied saying they were considering other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your most important achievement in the last 6 months?   Answer Question