Mercer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.9

Analyst Interview

After a few weeks of applying, I had an initial phone interview and then was contacted a few weeks later to come into the office. There were about 5 other candidates and each of us were placed in a room and had 5-6 different one-on-one interviews, ranging from senior level to analysts.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were the typical interview questions: "Describe a time you encountered a conflict. What is your greatest achievement."   Answer Question

Client Services Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer in November 2013.

Applied mid-Oct. Next day receive e-mail for phone screen. 2 1/2 wks later recruiter e-mails with alternate position, setup w/interview for following wk, afterward invited to meet w/hiring mgr. 3 wks later recruiter responds to my e-mail that team moved on. Feedback sought from hiring mgr - silence deafening!

Customer Service Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer in November 2013.

Informal. They did most of the talking. Asked about my background but I do not recall any behavioral type of questions.

I used Glassdoor as a guideline and asked for the highest reported salary ($44,000) hoping for $40,000 and they came back and offered $42,000 so I accepted.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mercer in November 2013.

First Round: 30 minute phone interview: basic behavioral questions with one brain teaser and one hypothetical work scenario

Second Round: On-site, 4 30 min interviews and lunch with 2-3 employees and 2-3 other candidates. Again, mostly basic behavioral questions were asked during the interviews.

They were very fast getting back to me about passing both the first and second rounds. I heard about getting a second round within a day of the interview, and about getting an offer within a week of the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • You suspect your refrigerator light is not turning off when you close the door. How can you test?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, though they will raise your salary if you pass more actuary exams prior to your start date

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

I had an interview when they came to my school. Interview was about 30 minutes long but it seemed like it was not that long. The person who interviewed me would ask me questions and I could ask questions whenever I had something that I wanted to ask.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult question but if I were to choose, it'd be one of those difficult PR questions   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

After the first round interview, I was contacted a few weeks later for a final round interview on-site. This consisted of a full day interview process including lunch. The interviews varied from formal to relaxed, but none of the questions were unexpected, and I felt like I was prepared for it.

Interview Questions
    • Can you explain why your GPA is so low. This was the only question that I stumbled on (My GPA is not below the 3.0 minimum)   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

Interviewed through on-campus recruiting. On the job posting page it advertised two positions, a general analyst and one in the communications track which had separate qualifications. However, when interviewed the interviewers were only aware of the general analyst position, and seemed confused when I told them I had applied to the communications track only and simply gave "internal reorganization" as an explanation. While both interviewers were friendly I was interviewed for a position I was not entirely qualified for and left the interview very confused and no longer interested in the position. The first interview was a 'fit' interview with general questions about my resume, interest in Mercer, etc. Second was a weird case interview which included questions about graphs and tables.

Interview Questions
    • The questions about the graphs weren't exactly difficult but were definitely unexpected, i.e. what is the relation between these tables, give me the mode of these cells, etc.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mercer in October 2013.

Applied through school for an on-campus interview day. Was notified I was chosen for an interview right away.

The interview was very informal and easy going. There were two representatives from the company - a recruiter from HR and an actual investment analyst. The questions they asked were very easy, just to get an idea of who I am and what I've done. They asked why I was interested in Mercer and consulting along with a few things about my resume. There were only 2 behavioral questions.

Overall, the interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Why Mercer?
      Why do you think you will be a good consultant?
      Name a time that you experienced a breakdown in communication and how you handled it.
      How have you used excel?
        Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Mercer did their hiring for this position through the Randstad agency. The initial Randstad phone interview was excellent. The interviewer did not read from a script but asked questions to get at the meat of my experience and what I was looking for in a position. (no phony "tell me of a time that you....")
    After the phone interview I was sent a link to take an on line test (the test is from Mercer, not from the agency) The test was personality (similar to an MBTI test) math (lots of percentage and ratios) and a call center simulation that I found enjoyable.
    Two days after completing the on line test I found another job so will not be accepting the request for an interview. However I was impressed by the Mercer test and am betting they hire quality staff and I would have liked working there.

Interview Questions
    • The math questions were surprising in their complexity. If you take x number of calls per shift and of those y many sign up for services, and you have been increasing your call taking and success rate by z% per shift how many more calls do you need to take to reach n number of successful calls by the end of your next shift.   Answer Question

I stopped the application process because I received another offer that I had been pursuing. Had that offer not come up, I would have gladly continued talking with Mercer. In fact, I have referred my friends to apply there.

Temp Interview

Got hired by an outside agency and worked for company that merged with Mercer--got hired at Mercer as a temp as a result of merger.

Interview Questions
    • None. The interview was easy. I was offered the job the following day.   Answer Question