Mercer Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical of any interview process. I was interviewed by the senior analyst who had just been promoted from his current position and was now the lead of the team I would have been joining. He asked me the typical interview questions such as Tell me about yourself, Walk me through your resume, What is one major strength and weakness you have. Then I was interviewed by his boss who was the VP and the same types of questions were asked of me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self. Explain your current role. Tell me a little bit more about the role you had at your previous company. Pick one strength and one weakness.   Answer Question

Human Capital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

It started off well. I had a recruiter contact me for the position and she followed up with an email link to do a video interview. The next week I heard back from the coordinator to set up an hour phone interview with two members of my team. I was given a conference line and dialed in 5 minutes before I was scheduled. I waited at least 15 for the interviewer to dial in before I sent an email to the coordinator. The coordinator responded to me that the 1st interviewer had an "emergency" and could not make the call and to wait for the 2nd interviewer. I wish I had known this ahead of time. But I spoke with the second interviewer on time and it went pretty well I'm assuming. The coordinator then reached back out to me to reschedule the interview that the first interviewer missed. So the day comes for me to interview with the other interviewer and guess what... she arrives late for that interview as well! At this point I questioned if I even wanted to work for this company because of just the unprofessionalism. Very disappointing experience.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

A headhunter contacted me through LinkedIn. We spoke; I sent her my resume; we spoke again. She then submitted me as a candidate and I had a phone interview with a partner based on the West Coast. That went well and he then asked me to meet by phone with a woman who would be a colleague. She and I spoke for an hour. I then had an entire day of interviews, beginning with a team phone interview with two people based in another city (the practice leader and another partner). I then went into the New York office for three face-to-face interviews, including one with a more junior person whom I will be mentoring, one with another peer and one with the global head of the business.) They knew that I had other offers and that they would have to move quickly. The headhunter got a call the next day indicating that they were moving forward. The verbal offer the following day (two days after my in-person interviews).

Interview Questions

• Q: I have a client facing situation x and they want us to do y about it. What's your take? How would you handle the situation?   1 Answer
    • Q: What have you done in the past to build a book of business?   1 Answer

Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I had a relatively pleasant interview experience. Everyone was lovely and really friendly. The retirement department had a very strong team working atmosphere. The only disappointment: Be prepared to wait for a while before you hear anything back. I had to wait for 3 months before I heard anything back. (I had to email them first before I got any response back)

Interview Questions

• Just general behavioral questions and going through your resume.   Answer Question

Retirement Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied through an alumni connection. I was then contacted for a phone interview, which was mostly resume review and very easy-going. A few weeks later (because the holidays fell in between) I was contacted for an onsite interview. I had four 1:1 interviews with actuaries at various levels. Then the group of us who were interviewed that day went to lunch with two more analysts. All were very friendly people and spoke very highly of the position and the company. The work environment felt very young and energized. Know the differences between traditional insurance and consulting.

Interview Questions

• What is the main role of a pensions actuary? How would you describe the responsibilities of this position to your friends and family? Why consulting? What other types of companies have you applied to?   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone and live interview with Office Technology Manger and Regional Technology manager. HR interview as well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Had the best negotiation process. Here's the salary, take or leave it.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Overall a very positive experience. I applied online in late November for a PM role out of the nyc location. They contacted me via phone the first week in December and I had a quick 20-30 minute phone screen with the recruiter. She let me know she would recommend me for a next round with the hiring manager. A few days later I had a 1 hour phone interview with the hiring manager. Him and I clicked, and we had some good discussion about Mercer, the role, and my background. He let me know he'd bring me in for in-person interview the following week. In-person, I met with 5 people, each for 30-40 minutes. A little exhausting, but some very good discussion. They did a very good job of making sure I wanted to be at Mercer, and that it was a good fit, which is very important to me. That night the recruiter called me and let me know that she got very good feedback so far, and we started talking about numbers. The next morning the recruiter called again and formally placed the offer. I really appreciate the speed at which they moved, and think that reinforced my desire to join the company. The only downside is the actually background check, paperwork, abd IT setup process does take longer than I would've liked, but otherwise very positive overall.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project when you _____ -Had to work with difficult individuals -Had to change requirements mid-stream -Worked with virtual teams   Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruiter definitely played hardball, but I still negotiated up from the initial offer by an extra $5k..

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY).

Interview

Got called in for interview after submitting resume. Talked to 3 individuals who I would potentially be working with. Mostly just ran through my resume and asked me about myself. Also asked what I knew about Mercer. Then had follow up interviews with 2 other individuals, both on the same day.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

First Round - On-Campus Interview - very relaxed, more to make sure you're not crazy and have passed an actuarial exam Second Round - 5 interviewers, some will end up talking about themselves and explaining the job details for 25/30 minutes of the time

Interview Questions

• Teach me something difficult in plain terms How did you get into Actuarial Science   Answer Question

Actuarial Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed through my school's career services. Interviewer mostly went through my resume and asked questions about what I've done in the past. Mostly typical first round interview questions, such as career aspirations, why you want to work at Mercer, etc. Not a lot of technical questions. Then, she let me ask questions about the company.