Mercer

Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Associate Interview

Finance Associate
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Mercer in June 2010.

Interview Details – Extensive interviewing process with more than 5 people!!! Culture is VERY business casual leaning towards business professional. Be prepared to meet with anyone at any time during the interview process. There are a LOT of people who may want to interview you for the potential opportunity and you have to be prepared for that

Interview Question – How would you handle an unhappy consultant when you have to say no to them?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - they offered and I accepted - there really wasn't an opportunity to negotiate.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Actuarial Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Mercer in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had a relatively pleasant interview experience.

Everyone was lovely and really friendly.

The retirement department had a very strong team working atmosphere.

The only disappointment: Be prepared to wait for a while before you hear anything back. I had to wait for 3 months before I heard anything back. (I had to email them first before I got any response back)

Interview Question – Just general behavioral questions and going through your resume.   Answer Question

Retirement Actuarial Intern Interview

Retirement Actuarial Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Mercer in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through an alumni connection. I was then contacted for a phone interview, which was mostly resume review and very easy-going. A few weeks later (because the holidays fell in between) I was contacted for an onsite interview. I had four 1:1 interviews with actuaries at various levels. Then the group of us who were interviewed that day went to lunch with two more analysts. All were very friendly people and spoke very highly of the position and the company. The work environment felt very young and energized. Know the differences between traditional insurance and consulting.

Interview Question – What is the main role of a pensions actuary?
How would you describe the responsibilities of this position to your friends and family?
Why consulting?
What other types of companies have you applied to?

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Actuarial Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer in March 2012.

Interview Details – First Round - On-Campus Interview - very relaxed, more to make sure you're not crazy and have passed an actuarial exam
Second Round - 5 interviewers, some will end up talking about themselves and explaining the job details for 25/30 minutes of the time

Interview Question – Teach me something difficult in plain terms
How did you get into Actuarial Science

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Mercer in December 2012.

Interview Details – Overall a very positive experience.
I applied online in late November for a PM role out of the nyc location. They contacted me via phone the first week in December and I had a quick 20-30 minute phone screen with the recruiter. She let me know she would recommend me for a next round with the hiring manager. A few days later I had a 1 hour phone interview with the hiring manager. Him and I clicked, and we had some good discussion about Mercer, the role, and my background. He let me know he'd bring me in for in-person interview the following week.
In-person, I met with 5 people, each for 30-40 minutes. A little exhausting, but some very good discussion.
They did a very good job of making sure I wanted to be at Mercer, and that it was a good fit, which is very important to me.
That night the recruiter called me and let me know that she got very good feedback so far, and we started talking about numbers.
The next morning the recruiter called again and formally placed the offer.
I really appreciate the speed at which they moved, and think that reinforced my desire to join the company.
The only downside is the actually background check, paperwork, abd IT setup process does take longer than I would've liked, but otherwise very positive overall.

Interview Question – Describe a project when you _____
-Had to work with difficult individuals
-Had to change requirements mid-stream
-Worked with virtual teams
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter definitely played hardball, but I still negotiated up from the initial offer by an extra $5k..

Retirement Analyst Interview

Retirement Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Mercer in September 2011.

Interview Details – Apply online via their website. Documents to be included are resume, cover letter, and transcript. Interviewers don't really care too much about your grades, as long as they meet a certain threshold and you compensate that with something else on your resume (ie: more exams, previous experience). After about 1 week, phone interview set up. Pretty basic questions and felt a little bit too loose.

Interview Question – Who has played the most influential role in your life and why   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Technical Support
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Mercer.

Interview Details – Phone and live interview with Office Technology Manger and Regional Technology manager. HR interview as well.

Interview Question – Don't recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had the best negotiation process. Here's the salary, take or leave it.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mercer.

Interview Details – Got called in for interview after submitting resume. Talked to 3 individuals who I would potentially be working with. Mostly just ran through my resume and asked me about myself. Also asked what I knew about Mercer. Then had follow up interviews with 2 other individuals, both on the same day.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working at Mercer?   Answer Question

Actuarial Internship Interview

Actuarial Internship
New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mercer in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed through my school's career services. Interviewer mostly went through my resume and asked questions about what I've done in the past. Mostly typical first round interview questions, such as career aspirations, why you want to work at Mercer, etc. Not a lot of technical questions. Then, she let me ask questions about the company.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an actuary?   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Actuarial Analyst
New York, NY

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Mercer in March 2009.

Interview Details – Chill workplace. A lot of for questions. They pay a lot of attention to the number of exams passed

Interview Question – Why mercer.   Answer Question

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!