Merck Intern Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.3

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I applied through their website. I received a phone interview from Human Resources to confirm identity and application information. Shortly after, a phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. The interview itself was more discussion based and centered on my current research. They also asked questions regarding my technical skill sets. All communication after the phone interview was done through email.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using HPLC and mass spectrometry? What did you use it for?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merck

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Interview

I was contacted by email for a phone interview after submitting my resume online, and after talking to the team leader, I was invited onsite (my college is in the same city as the particularly Merck branch) to meet with the rest of the team. I talked to each member of the team individually over 1.5 hours, and was offered the position 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions really -- they were mostly interested in my lab experience, why I was interested in working there, and whether I was comfortable with handling animals.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck in February 2015.

Interview

They scheduled with me an interview via phone and the Dr. responsible for the research part called me. Everything went smoothly and she made everything very clear and answered every question I had in a very good way.

Interview Questions

• How do you behave in a discussion inside a research group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Madison, WI) in February 2015.

Interview

Took roughly 3 weeks. I applied online and got an email 3 weeks later from the scientist wanting to interview me for the position. I interviewed over the phone later that week. Most of the questions were to clarify details about my undergraduate career, discuss my goals, and my research. I had a good number of questions for my interviewer and she was very excited to answer them. Overall a really nice, short interview. I have yet to hear from back for a final offer yet.

Interview Questions

• She asked specifics about my research such as what facilitated certain bonds being formed, how the behavior of a substrate fit into my proposed hypothesis, etc. She also asked what I wanted to focus on in graduate school.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck.

Interview

Went through campus hiring process. Was selected for interview. Introduced to a new employee who gave me a run down of what to expect and then brought me into the interview rooms. First was with someone who worked in IT and I was asked a lot of behavioral questions. She was very nice and seemed interested. Then I was brought into another interview room with an employee of a different department. He asked me some more behavioral questions but pretty much the same I think they just want two different opinions. I was a sophomore and felt like i was too inexperienced at the time. It also is a pretty competitive position they only hire 2 or 3 interview and hire from a couple schools on the east coast.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had to recover from a group project where someone dropped the ball.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merck (Summit, NJ).

Interview

It took about 1 month for the first interview. Staffs were very friendly.
    It took 1 short phone interview about 1/2 hour. The second phone conversation was about whether I want the job. Once i took the job, the process was transfer to HR who helped with arranging housing and transportation as needed. The whole process was very pleasant and organized.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was about technical questions about the specific instrument that I would be using, but this is expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Interview

Got interview through on campus recruitment. Interview was at university, took 1 day only 1 hour. Interviewer asked behavioral questions and about past experience and technical questions. Not too diffucult, was a bit long

Interview Questions

• technical question consisted of solving a problem with a process   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

I interviewed in person with 5 people at the research center. Most questions focused on my past experience and course work. Also, I was encourage to ask questions as well. I was given a free lunch and was able to talk with a former intern who now works for Merck full time.

Everyone was extremely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a most difficult question really. Perhaps what I wanted to get out of the internship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ) in March 2014.

Interview

After waiting a months after my online application I received an email invite to interview with my boss-to-be and one other principal scientist. After setting up a date the interview was conducted over the phone and finished in about 45 minutes after some back and forth questions. I had the exact qualifications/experience they were looking for so the offer letter came a week after the interview. Great, smooth process with no hassle.

Interview Questions

• Review past experience on your resume and tell me more about beyond what's on the paper.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by the hiring manager about a month later. Interview consisted of meeting with the principal scientist and another employee in the lab. Interview questions mainly focused on past research experiences and career goals. There were a few technical questions about different biological techniques and also personality questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your ability to get along with others?   Answer Question