Merck Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.9

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Newark, NJ).

Interview

Casual, very friendly and Given by direct managers, then by an HR rep. It was a very relaxed interview process, not a high pressure, rapid fire question and answer period. They allowed time for me to talk and ask them as many questions as I wanted

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Point, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Merck (West Point, PA).

Interview

The overall process in one word would be described as - cumbersome. First step was the online application(~15m), about 1.5 month turnaround to find out I progressed to the face to face round robin (5 person) interview. I was told someone would reach out to me to inform me of details, this never occurred. Interview team started late, when one person would exit the room, 10-15m later another would enter. Each person held a 30-60m interview (individually, each interviewer was well prepared and very easy to talk to). Interview lasted ~4-5hrs. I heard nothing for nearly 6 months, then while on vacation got a random call from HR. HR personnel followed up (2-3 days) with an email, this turnaround was consistent with every email I sent for negotiations. After I received an offer, negotiations took ~3-4 weeks, with what could have taken 1-1.5 weeks with appropriate response time (the dates written on each offer showed the document had been revised and made into a PDF the same days I replied to emails). All-in-all, the entire interview to job offer took nearly 6 months. During this time I went through several other phone screening and face to face interviews to offers, which had taken 1-3 weeks in comparison; from equally large global companies.

Interview Questions

• -Run me through your resume -How are you in an union environment -How do you work under pressure -How is your demeanor under pressure -Name a time you had to pull team support for a project or to overcome an obstacle -Name a time you had to lead a multi-departmental team -How do you cope with off shift work? -Tell me about yourself -Why managing? -Where do you see yourself in 5 years -What do you do when you're not working?   Answer Question

Post-MBA Entry Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ).

Interview

Very thorough, long interview at company headquarters. Interviewed with 10 different people presumably because part of rotational program. Recommend bringing energy bars or you will be exhausted by mid-afternoon.

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was a day long. We met and interviewed with three different senior employees. Interviews were behavioral with one technical question during each interview. We had lunch with four other employees and talked about the company. There was a tour of the site with another senior employee. They interviewed 15+ candidates for 3 positions.

Drug Safety Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Groton, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview with a number of structured questions including my scenarios, experiences and also time for me to answer questions at the end. It was also to inform me more about the role and what experience they were looking for in their candidate.

Interview Questions

• Plans for future, what interested me about the role, what would I bring to the role, strenghts etc   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed after sending my resume to them 6 months prior. At the interview no one seemed to have a copy of my resume, so thankfully I brought a few extra copies. No one seemed to even remember who I was in the business unit. My interview with HR later seemed to show they had their act together a bit more, and they made me an offer on the spot. It wasn't what I was looking for, so I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame adversity?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I applied through their website. I received a phone interview from Human Resources to confirm identity and application information. Shortly after, a phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. The interview itself was more discussion based and centered on my current research. They also asked questions regarding my technical skill sets. All communication after the phone interview was done through email.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using HPLC and mass spectrometry? What did you use it for?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a call from HR a few weeks after I submitted my resume. The interview was only one round and extremely straightforward. They asked basic questions about the job and also basic technical skills. I had the technical skills they asked about so I was a bit surprised when I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with SciFinder?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I was contacted by email for a phone interview after submitting my resume online, and after talking to the team leader, I was invited onsite (my college is in the same city as the particularly Merck branch) to meet with the rest of the team. I talked to each member of the team individually over 1.5 hours, and was offered the position 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions really -- they were mostly interested in my lab experience, why I was interested in working there, and whether I was comfortable with handling animals.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck in February 2015.

Interview

They scheduled with me an interview via phone and the Dr. responsible for the research part called me. Everything went smoothly and she made everything very clear and answered every question I had in a very good way.

Interview Questions

• How do you behave in a discussion inside a research group?   Answer Question