Merck Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015
Updated Apr 9, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I applied through their website. I received a phone interview from Human Resources to confirm identity and application information. Shortly after, a phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. The interview itself was more discussion based and centered on my current research. They also asked questions regarding my technical skill sets. All communication after the phone interview was done through email.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience using HPLC and mass spectrometry? What did you use it for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Interview

I was contacted by email for a phone interview after submitting my resume online, and after talking to the team leader, I was invited onsite (my college is in the same city as the particularly Merck branch) to meet with the rest of the team. I talked to each member of the team individually over 1.5 hours, and was offered the position 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions really -- they were mostly interested in my lab experience, why I was interested in working there, and whether I was comfortable with handling animals.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck in February 2015.

Interview

They scheduled with me an interview via phone and the Dr. responsible for the research part called me. Everything went smoothly and she made everything very clear and answered every question I had in a very good way.

Interview Questions

• How do you behave in a discussion inside a research group?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Madison, WI) in February 2015.

Interview

Took roughly 3 weeks. I applied online and got an email 3 weeks later from the scientist wanting to interview me for the position. I interviewed over the phone later that week. Most of the questions were to clarify details about my undergraduate career, discuss my goals, and my research. I had a good number of questions for my interviewer and she was very excited to answer them. Overall a really nice, short interview. I have yet to hear from back for a final offer yet.

Interview Questions

• She asked specifics about my research such as what facilitated certain bonds being formed, how the behavior of a substrate fit into my proposed hypothesis, etc. She also asked what I wanted to focus on in graduate school.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I applied online. A month later I was contacted and asked to schedule a phone interview. They asked me about my previous research experience and about things pertaining to the job I applied.

Interview Questions

• What things would you take into account when formulating a controlled release drug?   Answer Question

Senior Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Two to three interviews following phone screen with district sales managers, or potentially regional sales manager in the territory. Quite intense with numerous hypothetical or situational questions to test your responsiveness, as well as, you judgement under pressure.

Process Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ).

Interview

on-the-fly, less organized than anticipated, distracted interviewers, not representing their own firm or themselves very well, I had to remind them of the content of their own job description, poor responses to my questions of in-plant operations and relationships with other groups and teams

Interview Questions

• repeats from one interviewer to the other   1 Answer

workplace atmosphere is not contribution-dependent, but overly political

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Lots of behavioral interview questions, be prepared for them. Never say anything that can be interpreted as negative. Interviewers can be a bit stiff. Be aware of trick questions. The corporate headquarters is very formal. Dress conservatively.

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

Interview

Merck visited graduate institution for on-campus interviews. Informal first-round interview with on-campus recruiter. Pleasant interview and more of a conversation. Contacted a week later for a phone-interview with R&D Director and a 2nd phone interview with another Director. Phone interviews standard: explanation of personal research, 4-5 HR questions, and explanation of job responsibilities (30 - 60 min). Phone-interviews formal, but once again very pleasant. On-site interview 4 weeks later. Day consisted of five-six 45 min in-person/teleconference interviews with different directors of R&D and VP R&D at site. Most of conversations revolved around graduate research and fairly informal discussions. Once again, great conversations and people. Interviewers made me feel comfortable and confident. 45 minute presentation of research in the middle of day. Contacted week later for follow-up questions and company explaining their interest level in me as candidate. Job offered one month later via phone call.

Interview Questions

• What is one quality of your current boss you do not like?   Answer Question

Interview

Contacted with an email in another language, thought it was a mistake, but contact them and was told they wanted to schedule an interview for the following day. I took the phone interview. The hiring manager told me about the position and asked me about my background. She also asked me what prior lab experience I had. It was a very short interview; She didn't ask that many questions.

Interview Questions

• She asked me if I was able to commute to work and wanted to know within 24 hours even though no job offer was given.   Answer Question