Merck

Merck Interview Questions

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

Molecular Biomarker and Diagnostic Interview

Contacted with an email in another language, thought it was a mistake, but contact them and was told they wanted to schedule an interview for the following day. I took the phone interview. The hiring manager told me about the position and asked me about my background. She also asked me what prior lab experience I had. It was a very short interview; She didn't ask that many questions.

Interview Questions
    • She asked me if I was able to commute to work and wanted to know within 24 hours even though no job offer was given.   Answer Question

Director of Security Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Merck.

Great interview process. Management was upfront and transparent. Interviews moved quickly and were in standard format (phone and in person). Interview questions related to experience, some scenarios and reasons for wanting to work at company.

Senior Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Interview process was average, but they wanted to know about you as a scientist and a person. It took the whole day included several one-on-one and group interviews (team mates). There was a scientific presentations followed by loads of questions (this is the main assessment part I guess). They liked to be asked questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • Usual interview questions (technical and HR type). Why you want to work at Merck?   View Answer
    No negotiations, it met my expectations.

Executive Customer Representative Interview

3 Interviews with 3 different Managers on the same day. STAR question formats for interview. Each manager is different so see if you can figure out what their style is, how they communicate. Do exactly what you would do with a physician when you are trying to sell them. That's what they want to see. So develop a relationship as quickly as possible with your interviewer, be endearing, passionate and trustworthy.

Interview Questions
    • Don't really remember any, most were pretty straight forward, just use the STAR format.   Answer Question
    Another few thousand dollars.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

I applied for the position from a posting online. I received an offer for a phone interview about ten days after I submitted my application and had the phone interview about a week after that. The phone interview was with two different Merck employees and was very low-key. They basically wanted to talk about the project and they invited me for an interview the following month. It was a one day interview -- I was in Boston for less than 24 hours. Communication with the administrative assistant before (and during) the interview was poor. My emails asking for a copy of my schedule went unanswered, and I didn't receive my schedule until I was already en route to Boston. When I arrived at Merck on the day of my interview, I was informed that my schedule had been changed but I never received a new copy of the schedule. Various things went wrong throughout the day as they had been poorly planned.

The actual interview was fairly strenuous. I had eight different one-on-one interviews scheduled right in a row and gave an hour-long talk to the department. I was even grilled during lunch. Everyone was relatively nice, but some of the interviewers wanted to play hard ball. My last interview ran until mid-afternoon, and I was immediately put into a cab after it was over and taken to the airport.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to troubleshoot a problem during your graduate work.   Answer Question

I didn't feel that the position was a good fit.

Production Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merck.

I received notice of this job opening and the email address of the Operation's Coach there from a college adviser. After emailing the him my resume, he scheduled an interview for the following week.

The interview consisted of him and another supervisor. They were incredibly friendly and welcoming. Since this was only my second interview out of undergrad, I was very nervous! However, they only talked a little bit about the company, asked me about things off my resume, some behavioral questions, and it was over. Took about an hour. There was not any technical questions.

I received an email with a job offer with a contractor within 5 hours. All the background/drug test, physical tests, and skills tests are typical and was done through my contracting company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a teammate.   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses? How do you you overcome your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    No negotiation since this was a contract job offer. Plus, the pay was more than I expected.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Got the opportunity from school. Just one round of on site interview. All behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice. gave very detailed introduction of the daily job duties and the team structure. nice experience.

did not negotiate

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merck.

Went through campus hiring process. Was selected for interview. Introduced to a new employee who gave me a run down of what to expect and then brought me into the interview rooms. First was with someone who worked in IT and I was asked a lot of behavioral questions. She was very nice and seemed interested. Then I was brought into another interview room with an employee of a different department. He asked me some more behavioral questions but pretty much the same I think they just want two different opinions. I was a sophomore and felt like i was too inexperienced at the time. It also is a pretty competitive position they only hire 2 or 3 interview and hire from a couple schools on the east coast.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you had to recover from a group project where someone dropped the ball.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Initial Phone interview.
    1st face to face interview with 3 managers.
    2nd face to face interview with hiring manager
    Background check and drug test.
    Interviews very difficult, bad cop good cop.
    Process very slow moving.

Clinical Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Initial HR and Hiring Manager general questions. On site 4 rounds interview each of 1 hour with different levels. The process of interview is well organised and questions very specific