Merck Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

Biologics and Vaccines Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Merck.

I applied to the position online in the Fall, I received an email several months later from the assistant of a senior scientist asking me my availability for a phone interview. The senior scientist called me at the scheduled time and we spoke for approximately a half hour. The interview consisted of mostly questions about my resume and background. At the end of the call he said he would be in contact within the next couple of weeks, a week later I received an offer letter detailing the position and pay.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly being able to relate past experiences to how it would help me in this position   Answer Question

Associate Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Three 20 minute interviews during super day (interview day for interns). One HR focused, and two technical focused. Technical case study dealt mainly with a reactor and heat transfer scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were really unexpected, fairly generic interview experience   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Intern Interview

Got interview through on campus recruitment. Interview was at university, took 1 day only 1 hour. Interviewer asked behavioral questions and about past experience and technical questions. Not too diffucult, was a bit long

Interview Questions
    • technical question consisted of solving a problem with a process   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

It went well, but the interview is very intensive. I was interviewed by 2 different group in 2 sites and may interviewers for two full day. very formal process and was interviewed by higher level VP in both the regulatory function and clinical development. It was a phone interview with HR

Another better opportunity

Senior Pharmaceuticals Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Merck in March 2014.

Behavioral questions tell me about a time you had a challenging customer. Tell a time things did not work out like you wanted. tell me about a time you are proud of an accomplishment

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult manager you have had and what did you do   Answer Question

Lead Analyst Applications Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merck in February 2010.

Telephonic Interview .Oppurtunity came thru an staffing agency and had an telephonic interview set up.The interview consisted of basic behavioral questions .

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rahway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in June 2011.

I applied online and went in for two separate visits with 5 people each. The hiring manager called to make me the offer within a week. Negotiation took 3 days and once offer accepted needed to pass drug screen and everything before it was final. Good process overall. My first day was a month later and they had orientation and on boarding and training. It was a really good session and I learned a lot.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Merck.

Very smooth, respectful process. When I communicated that I had another job offer in hand, they moved at lightening speed to get me on board - something I did not expect of such a large company - was pleasantly surprised

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult thing you had ever had to do in your career?   Answer Question
    Having another job offer in hand helped - negotiate things like vacation up front

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Merck in March 2014.

I applied online through the Merck career portal to two internships.

After several weeks I received an email requesting a phone interview. I interviewed with one of the senior scientists in the department to which I applied and he asked me specific questions about my resume and experience. He did not disclose information about projects or the internship when I asked, but gave me valuable information about the general organization of the department. He informed me that he would have his assistant contact me to schedule an in-person interview at the end of the call.

A week later I received an email asking me about my availability from the assistant, and an email from the senior scientist requesting letters of recommendation. A few days later I received an itinerary for my interview, which included meetings with the department head, division leaders, senior and staff scientists. What was most interesting was that I was meeting with two different groups who would collaboratively decide my placement.

The interview lasted several hours and included a tour of the facilities, and introductions to other team members. I wasn't asked questions about science, but I was expected to ask questions about the research projects and show my understanding of the principles through those questions. The interviews were quite relaxed, and seemed mostly geared towards determining if I was a good fit for the group rather than if I was capable of being successful since this was the final step after the experience on my resume was corroborated. An interesting moment was when I was told that I was all but hired and needed to decide if I was more or less comfortable working in a particular environment because it would determine if the team would try to place me into their division.

I was informed at the end of the interview that I would hear back within two weeks. I received an offer letter a week and a half later. Upon submitting my signed letter, I was matched with an HR representative who facilitated my background check and drug screen. Upon successful completion I was sent my welcome information.

Interview Questions
    • Which division do you most want to work in?   View Answer
    No negotiation necessary. I received an offer letter with a generous stipend.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck.

Very long and arduous. We were brought into a hotel with different shifts of interview. We individually met with two different hiring managers- not necessarily your own. This was on top of several initial phone interviews. Then I met with my hiring manager separately and then had to wait for approval etc. It took a total of 2-3 months- including the offer- by the time I went off to training.

Interview Questions
    Not too bad. The manager offered me one amount- I came back with another and he met me a number we could both agree upon. I was instructed to do this by a current employee who did not counter-offer and was not happy she didn't. Too many people want the job so bad- they jump at the initial offer. Of course they aren't going to give you the best offer up front- and after all of this interview process- aren't going to turn you away without at least saying no. At least you tried and they will remember that. It shows tenacity.