Merck Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2014
Updated Oct 6, 2014

Biologics and Vaccines Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

I applied to the position online in the Fall, I received an email several months later from the assistant of a senior scientist asking me my availability for a phone interview. The senior scientist called me at the scheduled time and we spoke for approximately a half hour. The interview consisted of mostly questions about my resume and background. At the end of the call he said he would be in contact within the next couple of weeks, a week later I received an offer letter detailing the position and pay.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly being able to relate past experiences to how it would help me in this position   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Got interview through on campus recruitment. Interview was at university, took 1 day only 1 hour. Interviewer asked behavioral questions and about past experience and technical questions. Not too diffucult, was a bit long

Interview Questions
    • technical question consisted of solving a problem with a process   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

Very smooth, respectful process. When I communicated that I had another job offer in hand, they moved at lightening speed to get me on board - something I did not expect of such a large company - was pleasantly surprised

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult thing you had ever had to do in your career?   Answer Question
    Having another job offer in hand helped - negotiate things like vacation up front

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

Very long and arduous. We were brought into a hotel with different shifts of interview. We individually met with two different hiring managers- not necessarily your own. This was on top of several initial phone interviews. Then I met with my hiring manager separately and then had to wait for approval etc. It took a total of 2-3 months- including the offer- by the time I went off to training.

Interview Questions
    Not too bad. The manager offered me one amount- I came back with another and he met me a number we could both agree upon. I was instructed to do this by a current employee who did not counter-offer and was not happy she didn't. Too many people want the job so bad- they jump at the initial offer. Of course they aren't going to give you the best offer up front- and after all of this interview process- aren't going to turn you away without at least saying no. At least you tried and they will remember that. It shows tenacity.

Shift Engineer Interview

Very long and drawn out process. Over 3 months from online application submission to the on site interview. First there is a basic phone interview asking about resume and interests and they give a little more info on the position.

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Merck.

Interviewed by the potential district manager. They wanted to see how you would react on the spot, for example: "how would you sell me this pen?". They were looking for strong soft skills, and the ability to interact with many different personalities. A positive attitude plus a very competitive edge combined with the potential to lead among district members (usually 12) was a winner.

Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merck.

4 hours of team type interviews, a lot of redundancies in questions.

Specialist (Technology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merck.

Once in the interview process, the interview is a 3 hour long process, where there are usually three meetings and two people interview you at one time. They ask questions from a pre-selected interview questions. Most of them are behavioral, teamwork, and leadership questions. There will always be one technical question, but if you are unfamiliar with the particular topic, they will change it one that you are comfortable with.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask one technical question to understand your investigative methodology.   Answer Question
    Difficult.

Senior Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

They get a ton of people together in a cattle call, herd everyone into a main area then cull people one at a time into a series of rooms with Business Managers sitting in them. If you are there late in the day there is a good chance they will forget who you are.

Here is the offer, take it or leave it.

IT Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

I was initially contacted by email. I have only had one interview so far. I had two batches of interviews with different groups of people. They seemed to be very friendly. This interview was more of a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is something about the industry that interests you?   Answer Question