Merck

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

It took about 1 month for the first interview. Staffs were very friendly.
    It took 1 short phone interview about 1/2 hour. The second phone conversation was about whether I want the job. Once i took the job, the process was transfer to HR who helped with arranging housing and transportation as needed. The whole process was very pleasant and organized.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was about technical questions about the specific instrument that I would be using, but this is expected.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Associate Director, IT Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

Went thru 4 director and 1 HR manager interview. All behavioural questions. Positive experience. Process very slow. After almost 4 weeks still waiting for positive or negative news after the interviews.

Staff Chemist Interview

very well admitted provided a very generous lunch and dinner. Smooth interview staff very friendly and professional. It took 1 day to get an offer. Very good sign up bonus. Nice people.

Senior Specialist Interview

It was ok

Simple, they asked and you accept.

Senior Medical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merck.

The process was smooth, and initially, fast. I had a couple phone interviews, and they quickly scheduled me for an on-site day of face-to-face interviewing. The actual conversations were fairly desultory--I think they could judge from my CV that I had the requisite experience. The post-acceptance processing took longer, so all in all it was about 8 weeks from contact to starting the job, although admittedly this was during holiday season. The only bad part of all this was a required medical exam--not just a drug test, an exam with a doctor-- at a doc-in-the-box shop that was located over an hour from my city!

Interview Questions
    • Frankly my interview was a milk run--like they just wanted to be sure that I didn't have 2 heads!   View Answer
    They actually offered me a huge raise because where I was living and working, salaries were/are very depressed compared with the industry as a whole.

Biologics and Vaccines Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

I applied to the position online in the Fall, I received an email several months later from the assistant of a senior scientist asking me my availability for a phone interview. The senior scientist called me at the scheduled time and we spoke for approximately a half hour. The interview consisted of mostly questions about my resume and background. At the end of the call he said he would be in contact within the next couple of weeks, a week later I received an offer letter detailing the position and pay.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly being able to relate past experiences to how it would help me in this position   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Got interview through on campus recruitment. Interview was at university, took 1 day only 1 hour. Interviewer asked behavioral questions and about past experience and technical questions. Not too diffucult, was a bit long

Interview Questions
    • technical question consisted of solving a problem with a process   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

Very smooth, respectful process. When I communicated that I had another job offer in hand, they moved at lightening speed to get me on board - something I did not expect of such a large company - was pleasantly surprised

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult thing you had ever had to do in your career?   Answer Question
    Having another job offer in hand helped - negotiate things like vacation up front

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

Very long and arduous. We were brought into a hotel with different shifts of interview. We individually met with two different hiring managers- not necessarily your own. This was on top of several initial phone interviews. Then I met with my hiring manager separately and then had to wait for approval etc. It took a total of 2-3 months- including the offer- by the time I went off to training.

Interview Questions
    Not too bad. The manager offered me one amount- I came back with another and he met me a number we could both agree upon. I was instructed to do this by a current employee who did not counter-offer and was not happy she didn't. Too many people want the job so bad- they jump at the initial offer. Of course they aren't going to give you the best offer up front- and after all of this interview process- aren't going to turn you away without at least saying no. At least you tried and they will remember that. It shows tenacity.

Shift Engineer Interview

Very long and drawn out process. Over 3 months from online application submission to the on site interview. First there is a basic phone interview asking about resume and interests and they give a little more info on the position.