Merck

Merck Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Merck.

Interviewed by the potential district manager. They wanted to see how you would react on the spot, for example: "how would you sell me this pen?". They were looking for strong soft skills, and the ability to interact with many different personalities. A positive attitude plus a very competitive edge combined with the potential to lead among district members (usually 12) was a winner.

Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merck.

4 hours of team type interviews, a lot of redundancies in questions.

Specialist (Technology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merck.

Once in the interview process, the interview is a 3 hour long process, where there are usually three meetings and two people interview you at one time. They ask questions from a pre-selected interview questions. Most of them are behavioral, teamwork, and leadership questions. There will always be one technical question, but if you are unfamiliar with the particular topic, they will change it one that you are comfortable with.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask one technical question to understand your investigative methodology.   Answer Question
    Difficult.

Clinical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck in April 2014.

Contacted via email to schedule face to face interview after submission of resume online. Scheduled for interviews with HR and multiple managers. Initial interview was with HR via telephone . Remainder of interviews were with management staff. Interviews occurred one at a time (not as a group). Initial questioning was based on STAR method, and the remainder of each discussion was position and experience based. Interviews were approximately 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • If the position were offered, what would prevent you from accepting it?   Answer Question

Senior Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

They get a ton of people together in a cattle call, herd everyone into a main area then cull people one at a time into a series of rooms with Business Managers sitting in them. If you are there late in the day there is a good chance they will forget who you are.

Here is the offer, take it or leave it.

IT Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

I was initially contacted by email. I have only had one interview so far. I had two batches of interviews with different groups of people. They seemed to be very friendly. This interview was more of a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is something about the industry that interests you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merck in March 2014.

I interviewed in person with 5 people at the research center. Most questions focused on my past experience and course work. Also, I was encourage to ask questions as well. I was given a free lunch and was able to talk with a former intern who now works for Merck full time.

Everyone was extremely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a most difficult question really. Perhaps what I wanted to get out of the internship.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Merck in March 2014.

I applied online through the Merck career portal to two internships.

After several weeks I received an email requesting a phone interview. I interviewed with one of the senior scientists in the department to which I applied and he asked me specific questions about my resume and experience. He did not disclose information about projects or the internship when I asked, but gave me valuable information about the general organization of the department. He informed me that he would have his assistant contact me to schedule an in-person interview at the end of the call.

A week later I received an email asking me about my availability from the assistant, and an email from the senior scientist requesting letters of recommendation. A few days later I received an itinerary for my interview, which included meetings with the department head, division leaders, senior and staff scientists. What was most interesting was that I was meeting with two different groups who would collaboratively decide my placement.

The interview lasted several hours and included a tour of the facilities, and introductions to other team members. I wasn't asked questions about science, but I was expected to ask questions about the research projects and show my understanding of the principles through those questions. The interviews were quite relaxed, and seemed mostly geared towards determining if I was a good fit for the group rather than if I was capable of being successful since this was the final step after the experience on my resume was corroborated. An interesting moment was when I was told that I was all but hired and needed to decide if I was more or less comfortable working in a particular environment because it would determine if the team would try to place me into their division.

I was informed at the end of the interview that I would hear back within two weeks. I received an offer letter a week and a half later. Upon submitting my signed letter, I was matched with an HR representative who facilitated my background check and drug screen. Upon successful completion I was sent my welcome information.

Interview Questions
    • Which division do you most want to work in?   View Answer
    No negotiation necessary. I received an offer letter with a generous stipend.

Senior Pharmaceuticals Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merck in March 2014.

Behavioral questions tell me about a time you had a challenging customer. Tell a time things did not work out like you wanted. tell me about a time you are proud of an accomplishment

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult manager you have had and what did you do   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I was an interview candidate for an internship in their RNA Therapeutics department. Everyone I interviewed with was incredibly intelligent, and though there was clearly a lot on their plates with regard to research, they spent time trying to see if I was a good fit for them (and vice versa). Not only was impressed at how forward thinking the department was, but also with the company's focus on employee health and wellness.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle pursuing your own research interests given your project?   Answer Question