Merck

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Principal Scientist Interview

Associate Principal Scientist
Kenilworth, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Interview Details – one day interview and talk to different people, ofcourse a presentation need to be done

Clinical Scientist Interview

Clinical Scientist

Interviewed at Merck

Interview Details – canned behavioral questions

Interview Question – didn't have any curveball questions, they seemed straightforward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiated 5%

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
West Point, PA

I interviewed at Merck in January 2010.

Interview Details – Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Bioprocess Technician
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merck in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter after application submission. The recruiter asked me a few questions such as experience in shift work, salary expectation, and whether or not I am all right to work at night. A personality test was sent to me after I submitted my answers. Few days later, a recruiter called me for an onsite exam. The exam was 3 hours long using computer and had 12 sections; 12 sections were timed, and graded as pass or fail. After a few days later, I was called for an interview. Four people interviewed me, and questions were consist of basic questions such as "Tell me about yourself" and behavioral questions. Afterward, I had to do a physical exam. It was about lifting 40lbs objects, squatting, pushing, pulling and using a hood.

Interview Question – One interviewer gave me a list of tasks and asked me to place the order that I would do first. Afterward, I had to explain my reasons of ranking those tasks. It was an open-end question.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – All candidates must submit their resume on merck.com. Then the candidate should visit the website and submit their resume to jobs that have been posted. Positions are only posted for one week! So if you don't check the website EVERY week you miss openings. It usually takes 3 interviews to get hired. This process can take one-three months. All of this is assuming that there are any openings.

Negotiation Details – Negotiate like your life depends on it. Anyone interviewing for a sales position should plan on negotiating. Any manager should expect it from a successful sales candidate.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – Online submission of resume, etc. It REALLY helps to have an inside network connection to send resume to. The scanning/recruiting process sadly filters out many good candidates. Initial phone screening- often by HR, then 1-2 in person interviews - often with more than one person. Followed by grilling by HR over salary, benefits, etc. Then notification, offer letters, negotiations, pre-employment physical and drug test and start.

Interview Question – How will you contribute to this company over the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was like the HR staff personally had to pay every dollar asked for out of their own pocket.

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in December 2009.

Interview Details – Interview submitted online via Merck portal, followed by telephone interview. Final face to face interview could include as many as 5 separate meetings with the potential for a panel to interview an individual candidate.

Interview Question – Specifics involving assay technology expected to be used.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received automated email regarding an impending interview, phone call to schedule, follow-up email with directions, and pre-interview tips (very helpful). Interview scheduled for a total of 5 people: 4 in person, 1 by phone. Total of 3 hours. Everyone was extremely pleasant—seems like a great culture.

Interview Question – One question was very vague, as in "What is your experience with cake?" They could have meant my experience eating cake, making cakes, knowledge of the types of cake out there, etc. My mistake was answering without asking for additional clarification.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Associate Product Manager
Summit, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in December 2010.

Interview Details – Campus Hire.

Dropped resume on campus. Interviewed with two people on campus. GOt called back for 2nd rounds at Summit. 6 1:1 interviews and an hour lunch which was a stealth interview.

Be prepared to do marketing cases and to speak about your favorite and least favorite advertising campaigns.

Interview Question – Tell me about an advertising campaign that you don't like   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me who else i was interviewing with and about any other offers that I had. They beat my competitive offer by $7k.

Staff Biologist Interview

Staff Biologist

Interviewed at Merck

Interview Details – Interviewed by several layers of management in one day.

Interview Question – There were none.   Answer Question