Merck Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

Senior Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merck.

They get a ton of people together in a cattle call, herd everyone into a main area then cull people one at a time into a series of rooms with Business Managers sitting in them. If you are there late in the day there is a good chance they will forget who you are.

Here is the offer, take it or leave it.

Hospital Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in December 2012.

Very little conversation.

didn't like the culture

IT Internship Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Merck.

I was initially contacted by email. I have only had one interview so far. I had two batches of interviews with different groups of people. They seemed to be very friendly. This interview was more of a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is something about the industry that interests you?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rahway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in August 2010.

5 to 6 managers one at a time for about 45mins each with a lunch interview in between with an additional 4 people. The managers were friendly and laid back. Very informal and easy going but getting what they wanted out of the interview. I interviewed for several open positions not knowing which manager was for what group or what I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • Typical HR stuff. I would say how I dealt with a bad manager.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation needed. I was given $21K more than I asked and all my vacation time I had from my previous employer of 21 years plus full benefits from start date.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Merck in February 2014.

Brought in for an interview after applying online. The interview consisted of two 30 minute sessions, I was asked behavioral questions like "describe an experience when you were faced with a problem, what did you do to mitigate the issue and what impact did it have on your work environment". I was also asked a question asking if I had ever worked on multiple projects at one time and how I managed that work load.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to make a tough decision   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I was an interview candidate for an internship in their RNA Therapeutics department. Everyone I interviewed with was incredibly intelligent, and though there was clearly a lot on their plates with regard to research, they spent time trying to see if I was a good fit for them (and vice versa). Not only was impressed at how forward thinking the department was, but also with the company's focus on employee health and wellness.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle pursuing your own research interests given your project?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Point, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Phone screen, round robin interview with 4 people. 1 hour each. Offer letter through e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • very basic questions. tell me a time when this or that happened. Looking for problem solving skills and integrity values.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

IT Has Tough Interviews Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Summit, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merck in September 2011.

It was quick since my supervisor knew one of the hiring managers,

Interview Questions
    • Some questions related to my technical fields were tough.   Answer Question

Data Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rahway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Merck in March 2010.

One phone interview. 3 weeks later 3 people interviewed me separately at Merck campus. They asked behavioral questions mostly and a few technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you influence people without authority?   View Answer
    Had to compromise and met halfway.

Systems Analyst Interview

Very pleasant interview with I think the manager of the department. Kind of unique format, we talked about random things I assume to get an idea of the type of person I am and then some case study questions which were pretty straight forward. Overall a decent experience.