Merck

Merck Interview Questions

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

Senior Business Analyst Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

There were two phone interviews, one with HR and one with the hiring manager. Then I was brought in for an in-person interview. I interviewed with 4-5 key stakeholders on the same day,, but all the interviews were done one-on-one. Overall, it was a pretty thorough interview and it provided me a good opportunity to interact with the key stakeholders whom I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember the exact question but it had to do with which project phase a certain activity would fit into. Essentially it was a PMI project management type question that related to my knowledge of the sequence of activities in starting up a project.   Answer Question

Clinical Scientist Interview

canned behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • didn't have any curveball questions, they seemed straightforward   Answer Question
    negotiated 5%

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

All candidates must submit their resume on merck.com. Then the candidate should visit the website and submit their resume to jobs that have been posted. Positions are only posted for one week! So if you don't check the website EVERY week you miss openings. It usually takes 3 interviews to get hired. This process can take one-three months. All of this is assuming that there are any openings.

Negotiate like your life depends on it. Anyone interviewing for a sales position should plan on negotiating. Any manager should expect it from a successful sales candidate.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Online submission of resume, etc. It REALLY helps to have an inside network connection to send resume to. The scanning/recruiting process sadly filters out many good candidates. Initial phone screening- often by HR, then 1-2 in person interviews - often with more than one person. Followed by grilling by HR over salary, benefits, etc. Then notification, offer letters, negotiations, pre-employment physical and drug test and start.

Interview Questions
    • How will you contribute to this company over the next 5 years?   Answer Question
    It was like the HR staff personally had to pay every dollar asked for out of their own pocket.

Emerging Talent Rotation Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Merck in November 2013.

First round was an on campus interview, which was two interviews 30 minutes each. They looked through my resume and asked about things that were of interest to them. I had a really diverse skill and employee history so that seemed to interest them.

The interview questions were already written out and one could simply use the STAR method.

The second round of interviews was a three hour phone interview with three different representatives. They were all behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you added efficiency to a project   View Answer

Had better salary options with another company

Staff Biologist Interview

Interviewed by several layers of management in one day.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merck in October 2013.

Applied online. Received automated email regarding an impending interview, phone call to schedule, follow-up email with directions, and pre-interview tips (very helpful). Interview scheduled for a total of 5 people: 4 in person, 1 by phone. Total of 3 hours. Everyone was extremely pleasant—seems like a great culture.

Interview Questions
    • One question was very vague, as in "What is your experience with cake?" They could have meant my experience eating cake, making cakes, knowledge of the types of cake out there, etc. My mistake was answering without asking for additional clarification.   Answer Question

Clinical Data Coordinator Interview

It was a long afternoon of 5 interviews in a row. It started with the HR screening. Next on to the managers. One person seemed nervous and/or rushed, one seemed antagonistic (maybe they just did not like me) and the other 2 were friendly and fair. I wound up working on a team with one of the "friendly" managers.

Interview Questions
    • There really was nothing too crazy. The most difficult would be "explain how you have worked on a cross-functional team in a previous job."   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, just an offer and I accepted.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

I applied online, and heard back within a reasonable amount of time (but I did have an employee referral). I had a phone screen scheduled within a week.

The phone screen took several hours, was incredibly detailed and asked mainly behavior-based questions.

I was then asked to attend an in-person interview at headquarters, and to bring two copies of my resume. (I was not told this was a cattle-call, but it was.)

I sat, with roughly 60+ other candidates and met with several sets of district managers, in sets of two. These were more varied, and ranged from more casual, conversations to the "sell me this pen" type of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen/chair/piece of paper.

Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?
        View Answer
    no negotiation, low base but they were willing to train you with little to no experience. If you have more experience, you get paid better, but they are infamous for low salaries.

Senior Scientist Interview

No interview, transitioned into Merck after merger with Schering-Plough

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked. Evaluations were made after merger went through and employees were absorbed into Merck.   Answer Question