Merck

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Executive Director Interview

Executive Director

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – I had worked at a Merck as an undergraduate intern and had made many connections there and developed an appreciation for the culture. After I completed my graduate studies and postdoc I interview at a number of pharmaceutical companies and ultimately decided to return to Merck largely because of their commitment to scientific excellence, which remains that primary driver for staying here!

As a scientist, the majority of the interview focused on my scientific abilities.

Interview Question – The whole day was full of very challenging scientific questions. I don't remember one that particularly stood out   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a little. There were other companies which had a larger sign on bonus which Merck was willing to match, but that was in a very different recruiting climate.

Very Easy Interview

Training Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – Nightmare and completely inefficient and effective leading candidates already in place don't waste your time unless you are in a Special Assignment" with that group

Interview Question – What will be on your headstone?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Manager was really confused

Rotational Development Program Interview

New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merck in February 2013.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviewers. Both asked general HR questions like give an instance when you had a difficult team member to work with, where do you see yourself after 5 years.

Interview Question – give an instance when you were not able to meet a deadline and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck in August 2012.

Interview Details – Phone screen with a Human Resources representative followed by an on-site interview. On-site interview lasted half of a day and involved mostly behavioral based questions. There was an interview with an HR rep followed by multiple 1:1 interviews with members of the team and the hiring manager. Entire process was pretty straight forward...no unexpected events.

Negotiation Details – Given the nature of the economy right now, there was not much negotiation.

Quality Specialist Interview

West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Merck in June 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview by HR. After week face to face interview. After one week job offer. After acceptance around 3 weeks for background check.

Interview Question – All question which is not related to job functions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accept whatever offer. A good offer.

Principal Scientist Interview

Principal Scientist
Union, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Merck in September 2011.

Interview Details – Several times of phone interview and one time on-site interview

Interview Question – Detail technical question and individual career plan   Answer Question

Associate Engineering Specialist Interview

West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – Had the phone interview first followed by four 1:1 interviews. The on site interview was fairly easy with mostly behavioral questions.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Engineer Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – initial contact made by HR for site interview. One to one interviews with five manager, including hiring manager.
Very organized and kind of laid back interview. was asked a lots of behavioral questions. Be prepare to talk about your resume.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate at all. got the salary what i wanted.

Labor Relations Specialist Interview

West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – Long process, but generally pretty good. Interviewers went through standard, canned questions and answers, but process was pretty streamlined.

Having been on the other side, interviewing people, I believe that many interviewers came in looking unprofessional and sounding unprepared. Definitely a leg-up if you come in and nail it by impressing with your knowledge.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult manager and how you overcame your difficulty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
Rahway, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in December 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview
On-site interview (presentation required for PhD candidates)

Interview Question – Technical (chemical engineering) question   View Answer