Merck

Updated Dec 12, 2014

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merck in October 2013.

Applied online. Received automated email regarding an impending interview, phone call to schedule, follow-up email with directions, and pre-interview tips (very helpful). Interview scheduled for a total of 5 people: 4 in person, 1 by phone. Total of 3 hours. Everyone was extremely pleasant—seems like a great culture.

Interview Questions
    • One question was very vague, as in "What is your experience with cake?" They could have meant my experience eating cake, making cakes, knowledge of the types of cake out there, etc. My mistake was answering without asking for additional clarification.   Answer Question

Clinical Data Coordinator Interview

It was a long afternoon of 5 interviews in a row. It started with the HR screening. Next on to the managers. One person seemed nervous and/or rushed, one seemed antagonistic (maybe they just did not like me) and the other 2 were friendly and fair. I wound up working on a team with one of the "friendly" managers.

Interview Questions
    • There really was nothing too crazy. The most difficult would be "explain how you have worked on a cross-functional team in a previous job."   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, just an offer and I accepted.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

I applied online, and heard back within a reasonable amount of time (but I did have an employee referral). I had a phone screen scheduled within a week.

The phone screen took several hours, was incredibly detailed and asked mainly behavior-based questions.

I was then asked to attend an in-person interview at headquarters, and to bring two copies of my resume. (I was not told this was a cattle-call, but it was.)

I sat, with roughly 60+ other candidates and met with several sets of district managers, in sets of two. These were more varied, and ranged from more casual, conversations to the "sell me this pen" type of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen/chair/piece of paper.

Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?

View Answer
    no negotiation, low base but they were willing to train you with little to no experience. If you have more experience, you get paid better, but they are infamous for low salaries.

Senior Scientist Interview

No interview, transitioned into Merck after merger with Schering-Plough

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked. Evaluations were made after merger went through and employees were absorbed into Merck.   Answer Question

Specialist Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Contacted by HR for phone interview; very brief conversation why want to work for Merck, when can you come for on site interview, after 2 weeks contacted for an onsite interview. 3 panel interviewers for 3 hours total.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where in you showed your leaership skills?   Answer Question

Associate Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Three 20 minute interviews during super day (interview day for interns). One HR focused, and two technical focused. Technical case study dealt mainly with a reactor and heat transfer scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were really unexpected, fairly generic interview experience   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Through the intern program, they conducted interviews for full time positions for any intern who was interested at their headquarters. They took us in shuttles and served us breakfast at 8 AM. From 9AM to 2PM, I had four 50 min interviews with four different interviewers. It was always one on one, and they were mostly relaxed. Being an intern, I knew two of them from previous events, and they were friendly. The other engineer asked some tough questions and I struggled answering him directly. The last one was HR, and it was very relaxed and only lasted 35 min.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed to communicate well with company stockholders.   Answer Question

Business Analyst (Data) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

phone screening, interview panel (4), director, manager, data manager, HR representative

Interview Questions
    Yes, I was asked a range and they offered top of my range. I had done my research on similar positions and provided paperwork to back up my ranges.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merck.

Now using InVentiv and Publicis for all external hiring. STAR format used for all interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you have tried and failed?   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation. It used to be based entirely on your current salary, now I think it is a standard amount... regardless of whether you are making more than that- take it or leave it because they have so many people looking for a job. Internal sales reps that move to different sales divisions are now considered lateral moves with no raise in pay.

Clinical Supply Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Merck.

Merck's hiring process is rather straight-forward and transparent. A former colleague sent me a link to a job posting on Merck's website, correctly (and thankfully) inferring that it would be of interest. The online application was standard, to a point, and the website worked well and guided me through the process. The website posting included some questions specific to the job to ensure only qualified candidates could apply.

Surprisingly, I was contacted by the hiring manager's admin the following day and asked to come in the day after for interviews. From anecdotal experience, this experience is not common but Merck does, in general, move pretty quickly from application to contact if they're interested. Sometimes applicants and postings fall through the cracks, however, so I wouldn't despair if the wait took weeks or even months. Also, keep checking the website to see if the position was reposted and reapply if so.

Merck interviews, as with most things Merck, are a team exercise. My interviews started at 9 and continued until 1. Their goal was to have me interviewed by each of the managers within the group. Upon being escorted from the security desk to a small conference room, I was met by the first interviewer. He explained that changes had been made to the itinerary they'd emailed me because a few of his colleagues were off-site. This would have lead to a shorter interview experience, but the group director was unexpectedly available in the afternoon and wished to speak with me for a while.

The interviewers, like the group and the company as a whole, had varied backgrounds, personalities, and approaches. My first interviewer was fairly intense so I expected all would be. I later came to learn that he's just a pretty intense guy. It's cliche, but I cannot recommend enough that interviewees be themselves. Your interviewers will likely compare notes and on the fly and alter questions accordingly. Therefor, answering questions honestly and candidly, calmly, and even with a sense of humor if your comfortable with that will make your day easier.

Merck HR provides a handbook of questions to their hiring managers. These questions are designed to not only assess candidates but to ensure there are no breaches of hiring practice laws. If it feels like you're being asked somewhat impersonal questions, it's because you are. The upside is that you won't be asked anything awkward or worse (I think we've all left an interview or two thinking the questions were inappropriate). These are your standard situational interview questions, e.g., "tell me about a time you worked on a project with a difficult individual and explain how you were able complete the task" types.

The interviewers will use your responses to craft follow-up questions or segue into discussion. Most of my interviewers took a casual approach and were very interested in discussing my questions. They want to ensure you're a good fit for the job, but also that the job's a good fit for you.

Finally, if you get the feeling that they know more about you than they're letting on, it's probably because they do. Pharma is, at least within certain regions, a surprisingly small family. The people at Merck often come to the company after they've gained experience elsewhere. They've also gained a broad network of contacts. I recommend using the interview as an opportunity to carefully address anything from your professional history that may appear questionable but, of course, do so tactfully and quickly explain that you learned from it, for example, and it made you a better employee. Your reputation may proceed you but don't rely on that fact or become overly concerned if you have an item or two you'd rather they didn't know. Merck employees like to make their own decisions and you wouldn't be interviewing if they weren't seriously interested in hiring you.

Interview Questions
    • I attended the same university as one of my interviewers, though I didn't realize it. She smiled and said the first half of a chant common at our college football games... and I totally blew it. My mind was in "serious mode" and I felt pretty silly afterward.   Answer Question