Merck

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Scientist Interview

Senior Scientist
Rahway, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and went in for two separate visits with 5 people each. The hiring manager called to make me the offer within a week. Negotiation took 3 days and once offer accepted needed to pass drug screen and everything before it was final. Good process overall. My first day was a month later and they had orientation and on boarding and training. It was a really good session and I learned a lot.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Whitehouse, NJ

I interviewed at Merck in February 2010.

Interview Details – Long time to schedule, see many people at one time, interviewers not experienced in interviewing

Interview Question – understanding the company processes when you are just interviewing - interviewers speak of company processes as if you were part of the company already   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Rahway, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in August 2010.

Interview Details – 5 to 6 managers one at a time for about 45mins each with a lunch interview in between with an additional 4 people. The managers were friendly and laid back. Very informal and easy going but getting what they wanted out of the interview. I interviewed for several open positions not knowing which manager was for what group or what I was interviewing for.

Interview Question – Typical HR stuff. I would say how I dealt with a bad manager.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation needed. I was given $21K more than I asked and all my vacation time I had from my previous employer of 21 years plus full benefits from start date.

IT Has Tough Interviews Interview

IT Has Tough Interviews
Summit, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merck in September 2011.

Interview Details – It was quick since my supervisor knew one of the hiring managers,

Interview Question – Some questions related to my technical fields were tough.   Answer Question

Data Management Specialist Interview

Data Management Specialist
Rahway, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Merck in March 2010.

Interview Details – One phone interview. 3 weeks later 3 people interviewed me separately at Merck campus. They asked behavioral questions mostly and a few technical questions.

Interview Question – How do you influence people without authority?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Had to compromise and met halfway.

Associate Principal Scientist Interview

Associate Principal Scientist
Kenilworth, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Interview Details – one day interview and talk to different people, ofcourse a presentation need to be done

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received automated email regarding an impending interview, phone call to schedule, follow-up email with directions, and pre-interview tips (very helpful). Interview scheduled for a total of 5 people: 4 in person, 1 by phone. Total of 3 hours. Everyone was extremely pleasant—seems like a great culture.

Interview Question – One question was very vague, as in "What is your experience with cake?" They could have meant my experience eating cake, making cakes, knowledge of the types of cake out there, etc. My mistake was answering without asking for additional clarification.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Associate Product Manager
Summit, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merck in December 2010.

Interview Details – Campus Hire.

Dropped resume on campus. Interviewed with two people on campus. GOt called back for 2nd rounds at Summit. 6 1:1 interviews and an hour lunch which was a stealth interview.

Be prepared to do marketing cases and to speak about your favorite and least favorite advertising campaigns.

Interview Question – Tell me about an advertising campaign that you don't like   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me who else i was interviewing with and about any other offers that I had. They beat my competitive offer by $7k.

Director Interview

Director
Rahway, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Merck in September 2009.

Interview Details – They contact you for availability - schedule a day to coime in. Met with 5 individuals 1:1. Often getting the same questions. The time between interview and offer is long often 6 weeks due to the slow process in interviewing candidates.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you pushed back on a supervisor's request.
• Why did you disagree with the request?
• What actions did you take to address this disagreement?
• What were the results?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was brief - not a lot of flexibility

Sales Interview

Sales
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merck.

Interview Details – I applied online, and heard back within a reasonable amount of time (but I did have an employee referral). I had a phone screen scheduled within a week.

The phone screen took several hours, was incredibly detailed and asked mainly behavior-based questions.

I was then asked to attend an in-person interview at headquarters, and to bring two copies of my resume. (I was not told this was a cattle-call, but it was.)

I sat, with roughly 60+ other candidates and met with several sets of district managers, in sets of two. These were more varied, and ranged from more casual, conversations to the "sell me this pen" type of interviews.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen/chair/piece of paper.

Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, low base but they were willing to train you with little to no experience. If you have more experience, you get paid better, but they are infamous for low salaries.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Merck

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merck interview questions and advice in New Jersey. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Merck employees and interview candidates.