Merck Interview Questions in New Jersey

Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.9

Process Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rahway, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

on-the-fly, less organized than anticipated, distracted interviewers, not representing their own firm or themselves very well, I had to remind them of the content of their own job description, poor responses to my questions of in-plant operations and relationships with other groups and teams

Interview Questions
    • repeats from one interviewer to the other   View Answer

workplace atmosphere is not contribution-dependent, but overly political

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Got the opportunity from school. Just one round of on site interview. All behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice. gave very detailed introduction of the daily job duties and the team structure. nice experience.

did not negotiate

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Merck.

It took about 1 month for the first interview. Staffs were very friendly.
    It took 1 short phone interview about 1/2 hour. The second phone conversation was about whether I want the job. Once i took the job, the process was transfer to HR who helped with arranging housing and transportation as needed. The whole process was very pleasant and organized.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was about technical questions about the specific instrument that I would be using, but this is expected.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Senior Medical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merck.

The process was smooth, and initially, fast. I had a couple phone interviews, and they quickly scheduled me for an on-site day of face-to-face interviewing. The actual conversations were fairly desultory--I think they could judge from my CV that I had the requisite experience. The post-acceptance processing took longer, so all in all it was about 8 weeks from contact to starting the job, although admittedly this was during holiday season. The only bad part of all this was a required medical exam--not just a drug test, an exam with a doctor-- at a doc-in-the-box shop that was located over an hour from my city!

Interview Questions
    • Frankly my interview was a milk run--like they just wanted to be sure that I didn't have 2 heads!   View Answer
    They actually offered me a huge raise because where I was living and working, salaries were/are very depressed compared with the industry as a whole.

Clinical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck in April 2014.

Contacted via email to schedule face to face interview after submission of resume online. Scheduled for interviews with HR and multiple managers. Initial interview was with HR via telephone . Remainder of interviews were with management staff. Interviews occurred one at a time (not as a group). Initial questioning was based on STAR method, and the remainder of each discussion was position and experience based. Interviews were approximately 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • If the position were offered, what would prevent you from accepting it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck in March 2014.

After waiting a months after my online application I received an email invite to interview with my boss-to-be and one other principal scientist. After setting up a date the interview was conducted over the phone and finished in about 45 minutes after some back and forth questions. I had the exact qualifications/experience they were looking for so the offer letter came a week after the interview. Great, smooth process with no hassle.

Interview Questions
    • Review past experience on your resume and tell me more about beyond what's on the paper.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merck in October 2013.

Applied online. Received automated email regarding an impending interview, phone call to schedule, follow-up email with directions, and pre-interview tips (very helpful). Interview scheduled for a total of 5 people: 4 in person, 1 by phone. Total of 3 hours. Everyone was extremely pleasant—seems like a great culture.

Interview Questions
    • One question was very vague, as in "What is your experience with cake?" They could have meant my experience eating cake, making cakes, knowledge of the types of cake out there, etc. My mistake was answering without asking for additional clarification.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck.

I applied online, and heard back within a reasonable amount of time (but I did have an employee referral). I had a phone screen scheduled within a week.

The phone screen took several hours, was incredibly detailed and asked mainly behavior-based questions.

I was then asked to attend an in-person interview at headquarters, and to bring two copies of my resume. (I was not told this was a cattle-call, but it was.)

I sat, with roughly 60+ other candidates and met with several sets of district managers, in sets of two. These were more varied, and ranged from more casual, conversations to the "sell me this pen" type of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen/chair/piece of paper.

Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?

View Answer
    no negotiation, low base but they were willing to train you with little to no experience. If you have more experience, you get paid better, but they are infamous for low salaries.

Rotational Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merck in February 2013.

There were 2 interviewers. Both asked general HR questions like give an instance when you had a difficult team member to work with, where do you see yourself after 5 years.

Interview Questions
    • give an instance when you were not able to meet a deadline and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Senior CHEMIST Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rahway, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merck in October 2011.

Company moves somewhat slowly through the interview process. After an initial phone interview with the hiring manager and team leader, two weeks later an on-site interview was extended.

Aside from accomodations being set quickly by the travel department, most aspects of the 1:1 interview were poorly planned. Didn't receive a schedule for the day until right before dinner the night before. Dinner was with two team leaders. The full interview day began with a research presentation followed by a total of 7 1:1 interviews, which ranged from casual discussion to questions about research. Never heard back with either an offer or rejection. Most people were pleasant to talk to; some were quieter than others and required more leading of the discussion.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you would make this compound?   Answer Question
    • Was there ever a time when you had to convince your boss to see things your way?   Answer Question