Merck Interview Questions in New Jersey

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Merck (Whitehouse, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed after sending my resume to them 6 months prior. At the interview no one seemed to have a copy of my resume, so thankfully I brought a few extra copies. No one seemed to even remember who I was in the business unit. My interview with HR later seemed to show they had their act together a bit more, and they made me an offer on the spot. It wasn't what I was looking for, so I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame adversity?   1 Answer

Process Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ).

Interview

on-the-fly, less organized than anticipated, distracted interviewers, not representing their own firm or themselves very well, I had to remind them of the content of their own job description, poor responses to my questions of in-plant operations and relationships with other groups and teams

Interview Questions

• repeats from one interviewer to the other   1 Answer

workplace atmosphere is not contribution-dependent, but overly political

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ).

Interview

Got the opportunity from school. Just one round of on site interview. All behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice. gave very detailed introduction of the daily job duties and the team structure. nice experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

did not negotiate

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merck (Summit, NJ).

Interview

It took about 1 month for the first interview. Staffs were very friendly. It took 1 short phone interview about 1/2 hour. The second phone conversation was about whether I want the job. Once i took the job, the process was transfer to HR who helped with arranging housing and transportation as needed. The whole process was very pleasant and organized.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was about technical questions about the specific instrument that I would be using, but this is expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Senior Medical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ).

Interview

The process was smooth, and initially, fast. I had a couple phone interviews, and they quickly scheduled me for an on-site day of face-to-face interviewing. The actual conversations were fairly desultory--I think they could judge from my CV that I had the requisite experience. The post-acceptance processing took longer, so all in all it was about 8 weeks from contact to starting the job, although admittedly this was during holiday season. The only bad part of all this was a required medical exam--not just a drug test, an exam with a doctor-- at a doc-in-the-box shop that was located over an hour from my city!

Interview Questions

• Frankly my interview was a milk run--like they just wanted to be sure that I didn't have 2 heads!   1 Answer

Negotiation

They actually offered me a huge raise because where I was living and working, salaries were/are very depressed compared with the industry as a whole.

Clinical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ) in April 2014.

Interview

Contacted via email to schedule face to face interview after submission of resume online. Scheduled for interviews with HR and multiple managers. Initial interview was with HR via telephone . Remainder of interviews were with management staff. Interviews occurred one at a time (not as a group). Initial questioning was based on STAR method, and the remainder of each discussion was position and experience based. Interviews were approximately 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• If the position were offered, what would prevent you from accepting it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ) in March 2014.

Interview

After waiting a months after my online application I received an email invite to interview with my boss-to-be and one other principal scientist. After setting up a date the interview was conducted over the phone and finished in about 45 minutes after some back and forth questions. I had the exact qualifications/experience they were looking for so the offer letter came a week after the interview. Great, smooth process with no hassle.

Interview Questions

• Review past experience on your resume and tell me more about beyond what's on the paper.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received automated email regarding an impending interview, phone call to schedule, follow-up email with directions, and pre-interview tips (very helpful). Interview scheduled for a total of 5 people: 4 in person, 1 by phone. Total of 3 hours. Everyone was extremely pleasant—seems like a great culture.

Interview Questions

• One question was very vague, as in "What is your experience with cake?" They could have meant my experience eating cake, making cakes, knowledge of the types of cake out there, etc. My mistake was answering without asking for additional clarification.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck (New Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

I applied online, and heard back within a reasonable amount of time (but I did have an employee referral). I had a phone screen scheduled within a week. The phone screen took several hours, was incredibly detailed and asked mainly behavior-based questions. I was then asked to attend an in-person interview at headquarters, and to bring two copies of my resume. (I was not told this was a cattle-call, but it was.) I sat, with roughly 60+ other candidates and met with several sets of district managers, in sets of two. These were more varied, and ranged from more casual, conversations to the "sell me this pen" type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Sell me this pen/chair/piece of paper. Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation, low base but they were willing to train you with little to no experience. If you have more experience, you get paid better, but they are infamous for low salaries.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in August 2013.

Interview

Kicked off with an Phone Interview and once cleared then followed with in person interviews for the position with close to 6 people, before an offer was made.