Merck

Very Difficult Interview

Director Interview

Director
West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Interview Details – It went well, but the interview is very intensive. I was interviewed by 2 different group in 2 sites and may interviewers for two full day. very formal process and was interviewed by higher level VP in both the regulatory function and clinical development. It was a phone interview with HR

Reason for Declining – Another better opportunity

Senior Pharmaceuticals Representative Interview

Senior Pharmaceuticals Representative
West Point, PA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Merck in March 2014.

Interview Details – Behavioral questions tell me about a time you had a challenging customer. Tell a time things did not work out like you wanted. tell me about a time you are proud of an accomplishment

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult manager you have had and what did you do   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Associate Scientist Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Associate Scientist Postdoctoral Fellow
Gwynedd, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in February 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screening with the hiring manager. Got invited to interview on site and make presentation to the group

Reason for Declining – I was kept waiting for too long, and felt very disrespected by the recruiter for not returning my phone calls even when she has left a message for me to call her. No personal touch to the hiring process!

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Specialist, Engineering Interview

Specialist, Engineering
West Point, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in January 2010.

Interview Details – 3 rounds - Phone, on college campus, on site visit

Interview Question – Samples come back from QC analysis with out-of-specification results indicating atypical yields from fermentation process; you are tasked to lead the investigation. How would you go about finding the root cause.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was non-negotiable.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
West Point, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen, round robin interview with 4 people. 1 hour each. Offer letter through e-mail.

Interview Question – very basic questions. tell me a time when this or that happened. Looking for problem solving skills and integrity values.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
West Point, PA

I interviewed at Merck in January 2010.

Interview Details – Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer
West Point, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Interview Details – Through the intern program, they conducted interviews for full time positions for any intern who was interested at their headquarters. They took us in shuttles and served us breakfast at 8 AM. From 9AM to 2PM, I had four 50 min interviews with four different interviewers. It was always one on one, and they were mostly relaxed. Being an intern, I knew two of them from previous events, and they were friendly. The other engineer asked some tough questions and I struggled answering him directly. The last one was HR, and it was very relaxed and only lasted 35 min.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed to communicate well with company stockholders.   Answer Question

Central Chemistry Team Member Interview

Central Chemistry Team Member
West Point, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in June 2012.

Interview Details – A merck employee encouraged me to apply. I had a first phone interview with someone who had the position I was applying for, and then a second with the hiring manager, who would be the boss. Both were relatively relaxed interviews, and during the second the hiring manager told me they wanted to have me out for a visit. About a month later I had the interview onsite, I gave a talk and met with ~ 8 people including an HR rep, and various team members I would work with. Most were friendly, and excited about the work they were doing there. Some had serious questions, but nothing that was trying to trip me up.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself as an idealist?   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

Validation Engineer
West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merck in August 2012.

Interview Details – Phone screen with a Human Resources representative followed by an on-site interview. On-site interview lasted half of a day and involved mostly behavioral based questions. There was an interview with an HR rep followed by multiple 1:1 interviews with members of the team and the hiring manager. Entire process was pretty straight forward...no unexpected events.

Negotiation Details – Given the nature of the economy right now, there was not much negotiation.

Quality Specialist Interview

Quality Specialist
West Point, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Merck in June 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview by HR. After week face to face interview. After one week job offer. After acceptance around 3 weeks for background check.

Interview Question – All question which is not related to job functions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accept whatever offer. A good offer.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merck interview questions and advice in Philadelphia, PA. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Merck employees and interview candidates.