Merck Interview Questions in Philadelphia, PA

2.9

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck in February 2010.

Was contacted for an interview about a month or two after applying. HR did a phone screen, then scheduled an interview at the site. Met with hiring manager 1:1, hiring manager's boss 1:1, then another person from the department 1:1, then a fourth person from the department 1:1 over lunch. HR person never showed up after waiting about 30 minutes with the departmental admin (but it snowed a little that morning). One of the interviewers appeared to have been called over at the last minute by the hiring manager and asked on the spot to interview me. Everyone was friendly though.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer stressed "this is NOT a very nice environment sometimes and there's a LOT of pressure in this department - are you willing to deal with that?"   View Answer
    There was no negotiating; I was given the exact amount I asked for. I think the asking salary was specified electronically at some point in the application phase, because I do not recall anyone even asking me face to face or over the phone what my expectation was. There was no discussion or questioning of my asking salary.

Associate Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Three 20 minute interviews during super day (interview day for interns). One HR focused, and two technical focused. Technical case study dealt mainly with a reactor and heat transfer scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were really unexpected, fairly generic interview experience   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

It went well, but the interview is very intensive. I was interviewed by 2 different group in 2 sites and may interviewers for two full day. very formal process and was interviewed by higher level VP in both the regulatory function and clinical development. It was a phone interview with HR

Another better opportunity

Senior Pharmaceuticals Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Merck in March 2014.

Behavioral questions tell me about a time you had a challenging customer. Tell a time things did not work out like you wanted. tell me about a time you are proud of an accomplishment

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult manager you have had and what did you do   Answer Question

Associate Scientist Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gwynedd, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gwynedd, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in February 2014.

Phone screening with the hiring manager. Got invited to interview on site and make presentation to the group

I was kept waiting for too long, and felt very disrespected by the recruiter for not returning my phone calls even when she has left a message for me to call her. No personal touch to the hiring process!

Specialist, Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in January 2010.

3 rounds - Phone, on college campus, on site visit

Interview Questions
    • Samples come back from QC analysis with out-of-specification results indicating atypical yields from fermentation process; you are tasked to lead the investigation. How would you go about finding the root cause.   Answer Question
    Offer was non-negotiable.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Phone screen, round robin interview with 4 people. 1 hour each. Offer letter through e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • very basic questions. tell me a time when this or that happened. Looking for problem solving skills and integrity values.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

interviewed at Merck in January 2010.

Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer. Typical interview, meet with six people independently, receive offer, accept offer.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in August 2013.

Through the intern program, they conducted interviews for full time positions for any intern who was interested at their headquarters. They took us in shuttles and served us breakfast at 8 AM. From 9AM to 2PM, I had four 50 min interviews with four different interviewers. It was always one on one, and they were mostly relaxed. Being an intern, I knew two of them from previous events, and they were friendly. The other engineer asked some tough questions and I struggled answering him directly. The last one was HR, and it was very relaxed and only lasted 35 min.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed to communicate well with company stockholders.   Answer Question

Central Chemistry Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merck in June 2012.

A merck employee encouraged me to apply. I had a first phone interview with someone who had the position I was applying for, and then a second with the hiring manager, who would be the boss. Both were relatively relaxed interviews, and during the second the hiring manager told me they wanted to have me out for a visit. About a month later I had the interview onsite, I gave a talk and met with ~ 8 people including an HR rep, and various team members I would work with. Most were friendly, and excited about the work they were doing there. Some had serious questions, but nothing that was trying to trip me up.

Interview Questions

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!