Merck Senior Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.3

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merck.

Interview

Merck visited graduate institution for on-campus interviews. Informal first-round interview with on-campus recruiter. Pleasant interview and more of a conversation. Contacted a week later for a phone-interview with R&D Director and a 2nd phone interview with another Director. Phone interviews standard: explanation of personal research, 4-5 HR questions, and explanation of job responsibilities (30 - 60 min). Phone-interviews formal, but once again very pleasant. On-site interview 4 weeks later. Day consisted of five-six 45 min in-person/teleconference interviews with different directors of R&D and VP R&D at site. Most of conversations revolved around graduate research and fairly informal discussions. Once again, great conversations and people. Interviewers made me feel comfortable and confident. 45 minute presentation of research in the middle of day. Contacted week later for follow-up questions and company explaining their interest level in me as candidate. Job offered one month later via phone call.

Interview Questions

• What is one quality of your current boss you do not like?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merck

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Merck.

Interview

Interview process was average, but they wanted to know about you as a scientist and a person. It took the whole day included several one-on-one and group interviews (team mates). There was a scientific presentations followed by loads of questions (this is the main assessment part I guess). They liked to be asked questions as well.

Interview Questions

• Usual interview questions (technical and HR type). Why you want to work at Merck?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, it met my expectations.

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck in September 2014.

Interview

First, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, then I was brought in for an on-site interview at West Point. I gave a 45-minute presentation in the morning, then went through 45-minute 1-1 interviews the rest of the day. They asked HR questions, technical questions, and were generally just trying to get to know me, and me, them.

Senior Scientist Interview

Interview

No interview, transitioned into Merck after merger with Schering-Plough

Interview Questions

• There were no questions asked. Evaluations were made after merger went through and employees were absorbed into Merck.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied online and went in for two separate visits with 5 people each. The hiring manager called to make me the offer within a week. Negotiation took 3 days and once offer accepted needed to pass drug screen and everything before it was final. Good process overall. My first day was a month later and they had orientation and on boarding and training. It was a really good session and I learned a lot.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merck (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Everyone was kind, courteous and very welcoming in the interview. They answered every question I had about the company, and vice-versa. Overall, the interview process was a very good experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merck (Summit, NJ) in December 2008.

Interview

Give 45 mins presentation and had 5 1:1 interview with VP, Sr. Director, etc.

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck in September 2009.

Interview

Have 30 minute meetings with 6 chief scientist. Then gave presentation to ~15 members of the department.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

First offer was beyond my expectations, so accepted it immediately. I negotiated on relocation cost and got 15,000 relocation.