Merck Sharp & Dohme Interview Questions

Updated May 30, 2015

2.8

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme.

Interview

Internship process is different. I had one contact with HR and one contact with my manager.

Bio-Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

interviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (Durham, NC) in May 2012.

Interview

Interesting hiring process. First interview consisted of several candidates and a single hiring manager. Typical interview questions were asked. After inital round of questioning some candidates were given an individual interview. Second interview was one on one. After Drug screen and background check certain behavioral questions were asked. Additionally a three hour "competancy" test was given. HR contacted candidates several days later with an offer. Dont try and negotiate for this position it will not work.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to accomplish in the first 90 days in this position.   Answer Question

Quality Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (West Point, PA) in September 2011.

Interview

It was the most efficient interview and hiring process I have ever encountered. The 1:1 interview took about a half day with a one-hour teleconference with HR on a separate day. Offer was extended to me a few days later. The key is that they really know what they are looking for to fill the position and don't waste any time on decision making process.

Interview Questions

• Describe my past expereience in dealing with difficult people   Answer Question
    • Give an example of how I design, create and implement a new program (or process) in my current or past positions.   Answer Question

Bio Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (Durham, NC) in August 2011.

Interview

After you submit your resume they send you an email with details for an online assessment. It is a personality test with questions like, "Do you run yellow lights?". If you pass the online assessment they send you an email for an on site assessment which is also computer based. This takes about 3 hours to complete with problem solving questions, IQ questions, mathmatical questions, and judgement questions. If you pass the on site assessment they have you come back for a panel interview where you interview with multiple panels for about 3 more hours. If you pass the on site interviews, you will recieve a phone call and have a phone interview. If you pass all of that they email you the job offer and you have to start the drug screen process, back gorund check, and education check.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to resolve a conflict with a manager or emplyee.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were given a project to complete. What were the factors that led to you completing the project on time. Did you suceed or fail?   Answer Question

Negotiation

This was an entry level position mostly for recent college grads. No negotiation

Biotechnician I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansdale, PA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (Lansdale, PA) in March 2011.

Interview

Had a phone interview in January. Was then scheduled for a Skills Test (all Union candidates/employees must pass) in February, which was a computer test that took about 3 hours. Was told the next day that I passed the test and was scheduled for an interview in early March. Went in with 2 other candidates and was given a 30 minute overview about the position and benefits. Then we were each taken to a separate room for a panel interview with 3 people: 2 supervisors and 1 biotechnician. They asked about my resume and then asked behavioral and situational questions. The panel interview lasted about an hour and a half. I was told that I would know by email by the time I got home if I would be put on their "bench list" of people waiting for a position to open. I had thought the interview went well but was surprised to find out they had decided not to put me on the list.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a fellow employee taking a shortcut in a process?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a group.   Answer Question

Biochemist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme in February 2011.

Interview

Hiring process was smooth. People were friendly. Asked pertinent questions to my experience. They flew me out to the site and paid for lodging. there was a car at the airport to pick me up and take me to the hotel. Lunch was provided on the interview day. The interviews lasted all day. it was a very thorough process.

Interview Questions

• How did i feel i could help the current organization prosper   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme in January 2011.

Interview

Telephone interview followed by an in-person interview with about four to five members of the Department. I was conducted about five days after the telephone interview to come in for an in-person interview. I was offered the job about three days later.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (West Point, PA) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview was only situation questions. And asked me what kind of department I would want to work for. They really like Lean Six Sigma training and work experiences.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you failed to meet expectations and what would you change about that now?"   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision, how did you choose, and what were the results of your choose?"   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (Durham, NC) in July 2010.

Interview

Got phone interviewed with HR representative and followed with a 4-hour group/panel interview. Group interview consisted of 2 people from different area and with a pre-determined questions. Questions primarily consisted of giving examples for a situation. Nice people. After 2 weeks of waiting and was notified of no offer. Follow-up with hiring manager and got mixed feelings.

NAE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Wales, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Merck Sharp & Dohme (North Wales, PA) in June 2010.

Interview

A rigorous processs of multiple, face to face, individual and team interviews. Equally rigorous back ground check. Physical exam. This is an extremely thorough process, detailed and exacting. You need to have your act together for each and every phase of the process. You will do well to understand exactly who you will be interved by, what their biases, likes and dislikes are, and be diplomatically saavy during the panel interviews - evryone must give you a thumbs up. Anyone can shoot you down.

Interview Questions

• I really am unable to remember, it was 20 years ago. Suffice it to say you will be asked all of the typical career questions according to whatever consultants they are working with at the time of your interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Because I was uniquely qualified, they were very accomodating. You will need to document and confirm salary history.