Mercury Marine

Relevance Date Difficulty

Trim Operator Interview

Trim Operator
Fond du Lac, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mercury Marine in May 2013.

Interview Details – Mercury Marine in Fond Du Lac has their own staffing center located right outside the main entrance to plant 15. I went to the center asked to apply. There was a human resource person there. He set me up on a computer, I then filled out an application. After filling it out they immediately scheduled me for a interview. I was interviewed by an engineer and a human resource person. After interview I was told to wait about 15 minutes and then proceed to interview with a different human resources person who then following also offered me the job. I was then given a start date and a photo was taken for my badge(required to be worn by all employees and required to get through entrances and exits). My start date was the beginning of a two day orientation which went through everything, benefits, safety, type of work, and union stuff. Then after that I was unleashed into the workforce.

Interview Question – Typical interview, most difficult question for me is usually weakness question, everything else is quite straightforward.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Only negotiation you got was which shift you were going to. Which is typical for entry level, no xp positions. Pay was better then most places so I just took what they offered.

Very Easy Interview

Auditor Interview

Auditor
Fond du Lac, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mercury Marine in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact from Corporate recruiter from Brunswick; he found me via Linked. I had to fill out a pre-phone screen, went through a phone screen with recruiter and then the hiring manager and was then invited in for an onsite interview with HR, two directors and then the hiring manager. The whole process took about two weeks.

Interview Question – none, the Corporate recruiter talked me through what to expect during the onsite interviews, and he was accurate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, they met my salary demands with the initial offer

Co-Op Interview

Co-Op

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Mercury Marine.

Interview Details – Got hired after a phone interview. Too technical.

Interview Question – A complicated technical question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for a co-op

Production SUpervisor - First Shift Interview

Production SUpervisor - First Shift
Fond du Lac, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mercury Marine in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for this position via Brunswick website on July 5, 2012. On July 12, 2012, I received a phone message asking for a phone interview on 13JUL12, at 11am. The phone interview was conducted on July 13, 2012. It was with the hiring manager who was the previous holder of this position. I was asked questions about my background and skills. I was told I did pretty well on this interview. I was told that there were still others who needed to be interviewed and that notifications would be made for possible on-site interviews. I received a phone call on August 3, 2012, scheduling an on-site interview. The interview was a panel interview conducted with the hiring manager, Area Manager, and the Production manager. The atmosphere was very relaxed the questions were generally easy and were nothing more than them wanting more details about my resume. I left there and was told I did well and that they would get back to me within two weeks with a decision. I didn’t hear anything within the two weeks so I called on two separate occasions to the Hiring Manager but had to leave a message. I received an e-mail on September 6, 2012, informing me they chose another candidate whose experience and qualification better match the position.

Interview Question – There weren't really difficult questions, most of the typical tell me about yourself and what would you do in this situation. One question that sticks out in my mind "What would you do as the Production Supervisor if you were given a task that you knew couldn't be completed in the time allotted?   View Answer

Functional Analyst Interview

Functional Analyst
Fond du Lac, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mercury Marine in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Functional Analyst position and had a phone interview scheduled within a week. The phone interview was pretty short (~20 minutes) and consisted of typical "Describe a time when..." questions regarding team work, conflict, critical thinking, etc.

The interview hit a wall about 10 minutes in once expected salary came up. Having only talked with this person for maybe 10 minutes, the question caught me off guard. I simply padded my answer by stating I hadn't had much experience negotiating salary in the past (looking for a job out of college) so whatever I answer with should be taken lightly. I said the national average is about 40k-50k starting for my degree and a position like this seems to warrant that salary.

Big mistake. The lady seemed to take offense that I would even dream of expecting that amount, and essentially spouted off reasons why I didn't deserve to make that salary. Whether true or not, unprofessional is an understatement when describing this lady. After about 5 minutes of that nonsense she attempted to save face near the end of the interview by enforcing my qualifications and how I would be a good fit for the position, but by that point I just didn't want to hear her talk anymore.

Needless to say I haven't heard from them and they haven't heard from me. As an aside, I applied for two other jobs during this time, and received job offers from both. The difference in attitude between the Mercury representative and the other two companies' is night and day.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Mercury Marine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercury Marine interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mercury Marine employees and interview candidates.