Mergermarket Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.1

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mergermarket in May 2015.

Interview

The questions asked: 1. Walk us through your resume 2. How will you go about covering private companies? 3. How do you find sources? 4. What is the most challenging thing you will find about the job?

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging thing you will find about the job?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Mergermarket.

Interview

For the interview, they asked basic questions and met the team separately. Seemed like they have a good culture. They have many different groups that is associated in the company.

Senior Reporter Interview

Interview

When I hired people, we really just wanted to see that you generally wanted to work at Mergermarket, that you wanted any job in the world as long as it paid you money.

Interview Questions

• What's a time that you had a story killed, and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not any real negotiation.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mergermarket.

Interview

Had an initial phone call and then in-person. Very detailed questions. Wanted to know about different topics I'd written on. Was not overly challenging, but needed to be ready to give concise, information-filled answers.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to do 1-hour writing exercise that was high-pressure.   Answer Question

Junior Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mergermarket (New York, NY).

Interview

The employer had two staff interview me, one after the other. One manager seemed approachable but the other didn't. Trust your instinct and don't jump at a position with this company if you feel like you would not want to work for this type of management. Next step, if they like you, they assign a written test where you call two people at the company who pretend they are a CEO and a banker. Write-up the story and submit it.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall specific questions that stood out at me in the interview itself. More of the company's focus is on whether they think you could write about finance, and then they test that with the written part of the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Definitely negotiate upwards because they will try to lowball you by several thousand. Might not be worth working for them if you feel the salary is too low for your liking.

Junior Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mergermarket (New York, NY).

Interview

The editor initially didn't want to interview me because I was over-qualified, but I stated my case. The interview was one hr and I took a writing test. Three weeks later, she said she couldn't hire another reporter and to try again in a few months, which I did.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: The Americas Editor asked why my previous reporter couldn't find another position for me when they laid me off.   1 Answer
    • Unexpected: She also asked if I would have a problem relocating four hours to NYC. They were odd questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I initially thought the salary was 40K, but the company starts all junior reporters at 38K. She said I could be promoted in three months if I wrote 5-7 stories a week consistently. I did so and got a 4K raise.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mergermarket (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

A screening interview, a writing test, a second interview with a regional director, a third call in which I was told I had the job (sort of) and a promised third interview with a VP that never materialized, all stretched out over three months.

Interview Questions

• "Can you live on $36,000 a year?"   1 Answer
    • "Can you work full time?"   1 Answer
    • "Have I called too late?"   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mergermarket (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first with the lead analyst on the research team and another analyst. This interview was pretty straight forward. they ask you about yourself, a couple of general questions about recent m&a activity (for me it was at&t and t-mobile,) a couple of questions about whether or not social networking sites can be profitable investments, and that sort of thing. the second interview was with the research manager. this was much more technical. First you take a written test, a financial statement literacy test, which was pretty basic. (what is ebitda, calculate the ebitda from this statement, that sort of thing.) There was also a part where you are given global numbers from m&a activity from the past couple of years, and asked to write a few paragraphs on it. You get 40 min total for both parts. then was the interview with the research manager and another analyst. This was pretty tricky as he jumped around from question to question, and the questions are not related to each other. first he asked me how i would invest a certain amount of money, then he jumped around, why are people afraid of private equity? what sectors i would invest in? what are the largest private companies? that sort of thing. I made it to the final two but the offer was given to the other person.

Interview Questions

• If i give you $1,000, and I ask you to invest it for me, what are two questions you should ask me?   2 Answers

M&A Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mergermarket (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

1st Round was a routine interview, usual questions: Tell me about yourself, why you, went over resume, also asked about recent M&A deals. 2nd round was comprised of test of financial terms, language skills, financial analysis, and a 1:1 interview with the research manager.

Interview Questions

• Do you think social media companies are acurately valued?   Answer Question

Financial Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Mergermarket (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

After an initial interview, expect a writing test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was a standard salary amount for new starters, no negotiation.