Mergermarket

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Reporter Interview

Junior Reporter
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Mergermarket.

Interview Details – The employer had two staff interview me, one after the other. One manager seemed approachable but the other didn't. Trust your instinct and don't jump at a position with this company if you feel like you would not want to work for this type of management. Next step, if they like you, they assign a written test where you call two people at the company who pretend they are a CEO and a banker. Write-up the story and submit it.

Interview Question – I don't recall specific questions that stood out at me in the interview itself. More of the company's focus is on whether they think you could write about finance, and then they test that with the written part of the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Definitely negotiate upwards because they will try to lowball you by several thousand. Might not be worth working for them if you feel the salary is too low for your liking.

Financial Reporter Interview

Financial Reporter
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Mergermarket in December 2009.

Interview Details – After an initial interview, expect a writing test.

Interview Question – Talk about a current M&A situation in the news.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was a standard salary amount for new starters, no negotiation.

Junior Reporter Interview

Junior Reporter
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mergermarket.

Interview Details – The editor initially didn't want to interview me because I was over-qualified, but I stated my case. The interview was one hr and I took a writing test. Three weeks later, she said she couldn't hire another reporter and to try again in a few months, which I did.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: The Americas Editor asked why my previous reporter couldn't find another position for me when they laid me off.   View Answer
  • Unexpected: She also asked if I would have a problem relocating four hours to NYC. They were odd questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I initially thought the salary was 40K, but the company starts all junior reporters at 38K. She said I could be promoted in three months if I wrote 5-7 stories a week consistently. I did so and got a 4K raise.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Reporter Interview

Reporter
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Mergermarket in March 2013.

Interview Details – A screening interview, a writing test, a second interview with a regional director, a third call in which I was told I had the job (sort of) and a promised third interview with a VP that never materialized, all stretched out over three months.

Interview Questions

Research Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in July 2012.

Interview Details – There were two interviews. The first with the lead analyst on the research team and another analyst. This interview was pretty straight forward. they ask you about yourself, a couple of general questions about recent m&a activity (for me it was at&t and t-mobile,) a couple of questions about whether or not social networking sites can be profitable investments, and that sort of thing. the second interview was with the research manager. this was much more technical. First you take a written test, a financial statement literacy test, which was pretty basic. (what is ebitda, calculate the ebitda from this statement, that sort of thing.) There was also a part where you are given global numbers from m&a activity from the past couple of years, and asked to write a few paragraphs on it. You get 40 min total for both parts. then was the interview with the research manager and another analyst. This was pretty tricky as he jumped around from question to question, and the questions are not related to each other. first he asked me how i would invest a certain amount of money, then he jumped around, why are people afraid of private equity? what sectors i would invest in? what are the largest private companies? that sort of thing. I made it to the final two but the offer was given to the other person.

Interview Question – If i give you $1,000, and I ask you to invest it for me, what are two questions you should ask me?   View Answers (2)

M&A Research Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in July 2011.

Interview Details – 1st Round was a routine interview, usual questions: Tell me about yourself, why you, went over resume, also asked about recent M&A deals. 2nd round was comprised of test of financial terms, language skills, financial analysis, and a 1:1 interview with the research manager.

Interview Question – Do you think social media companies are acurately valued?   Answer Question

CRM Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in May 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then given 3 days to make powerpoint presentation followed by group questioning. The powerpoint presentation was on a subject of my choosing, I was given absolutely no additional guidance. The group in attendance was comprised of current CRM and also sales staff. The whole process took approximately 2 weeks from first contact to offer.

Interview Question – What accomplishment are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Client Relationship Manager Interview

Client Relationship Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews are conducted: firstly a one-on-one with the Head of CRM for assessment of overall fit / basic screening, and second round involves presentation on a topic of one's own choosing, done to the Head of CRM & other senior members on the team. The whole process may take up to a few weeks' time but not awfully long.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Just be yourself & make sure that you are able to connect past experience with what skills you can offer to the company.   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mergermarket in April 2011.

Interview Details – The first step was a testing day at their offices. I was given two stories on potential Merger or Acquisitions and had the whole day to research, find the contacts, interview them and put a small article together. They don't expect you to write two articles but the fastest you can be, the better.

We discussed my background and what I could bring to the team but mostly the position itself and what it was about. I learned more about what the company did etc. It was more of a general background discussion and didn't need any preparation.

Interview Question – If an acquisition or merger was happening and you couldn't get hold of the CEO, what would your next step be to get a story?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate and accepted the offer as it was a first job offer

Researcher Interview

City of London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview itself whas very laidback and easy, they asked about my knowledge of the company and also questions based on my CV.

To be succsesfull study the company and know your CV, which generally is a must when entering a interview. If you have done this than there is no reason why you shouldnt get the job. Also learn about M&A.

Interview Question – What do you know about Mergermarket?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, the salary is fixed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mergermarket

Worked for Mergermarket? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mergermarket interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mergermarket employees and interview candidates.