Mergermarket Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2014

3.2

Junior Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Mergermarket.

The employer had two staff interview me, one after the other. One manager seemed approachable but the other didn't. Trust your instinct and don't jump at a position with this company if you feel like you would not want to work for this type of management. Next step, if they like you, they assign a written test where you call two people at the company who pretend they are a CEO and a banker. Write-up the story and submit it.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall specific questions that stood out at me in the interview itself. More of the company's focus is on whether they think you could write about finance, and then they test that with the written part of the interview.   Answer Question
    Definitely negotiate upwards because they will try to lowball you by several thousand. Might not be worth working for them if you feel the salary is too low for your liking.

Financial Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Mergermarket in December 2009.

After an initial interview, expect a writing test.

Interview Questions
    There was a standard salary amount for new starters, no negotiation.

Junior Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mergermarket.

The editor initially didn't want to interview me because I was over-qualified, but I stated my case. The interview was one hr and I took a writing test. Three weeks later, she said she couldn't hire another reporter and to try again in a few months, which I did.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: The Americas Editor asked why my previous reporter couldn't find another position for me when they laid me off.   View Answer
    • Unexpected: She also asked if I would have a problem relocating four hours to NYC. They were odd questions.   View Answer
    I initially thought the salary was 40K, but the company starts all junior reporters at 38K. She said I could be promoted in three months if I wrote 5-7 stories a week consistently. I did so and got a 4K raise.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Mergermarket in March 2013.

A screening interview, a writing test, a second interview with a regional director, a third call in which I was told I had the job (sort of) and a promised third interview with a VP that never materialized, all stretched out over three months.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in July 2012.

There were two interviews. The first with the lead analyst on the research team and another analyst. This interview was pretty straight forward. they ask you about yourself, a couple of general questions about recent m&a activity (for me it was at&t and t-mobile,) a couple of questions about whether or not social networking sites can be profitable investments, and that sort of thing. the second interview was with the research manager. this was much more technical. First you take a written test, a financial statement literacy test, which was pretty basic. (what is ebitda, calculate the ebitda from this statement, that sort of thing.) There was also a part where you are given global numbers from m&a activity from the past couple of years, and asked to write a few paragraphs on it. You get 40 min total for both parts. then was the interview with the research manager and another analyst. This was pretty tricky as he jumped around from question to question, and the questions are not related to each other. first he asked me how i would invest a certain amount of money, then he jumped around, why are people afraid of private equity? what sectors i would invest in? what are the largest private companies? that sort of thing. I made it to the final two but the offer was given to the other person.

Interview Questions
    • If i give you $1,000, and I ask you to invest it for me, what are two questions you should ask me?   View Answers (2)

M&A Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in July 2011.

1st Round was a routine interview, usual questions: Tell me about yourself, why you, went over resume, also asked about recent M&A deals. 2nd round was comprised of test of financial terms, language skills, financial analysis, and a 1:1 interview with the research manager.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think social media companies are acurately valued?   Answer Question

CRM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket in May 2008.

Phone interview, then given 3 days to make powerpoint presentation followed by group questioning. The powerpoint presentation was on a subject of my choosing, I was given absolutely no additional guidance. The group in attendance was comprised of current CRM and also sales staff. The whole process took approximately 2 weeks from first contact to offer.

No negotiation

Sales Interview

Had two face to face interviews for a sales role. Questions about what I know about their products and company, why this role and standard questions about my cv. This company takes a long time to make hiring decisions. Took them several weeks to give me final reply and they chose another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Did you know much about this topic before the interview?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mergermarket.

Two rounds of interviews are conducted: firstly a one-on-one with the Head of CRM for assessment of overall fit / basic screening, and second round involves presentation on a topic of one's own choosing, done to the Head of CRM & other senior members on the team. The whole process may take up to a few weeks' time but not awfully long.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just be yourself & make sure that you are able to connect past experience with what skills you can offer to the company.   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mergermarket in April 2011.

The first step was a testing day at their offices. I was given two stories on potential Merger or Acquisitions and had the whole day to research, find the contacts, interview them and put a small article together. They don't expect you to write two articles but the fastest you can be, the better.

We discussed my background and what I could bring to the team but mostly the position itself and what it was about. I learned more about what the company did etc. It was more of a general background discussion and didn't need any preparation.

Interview Questions
    • If an acquisition or merger was happening and you couldn't get hold of the CEO, what would your next step be to get a story?   View Answer
    I wasn't able to negotiate and accepted the offer as it was a first job offer

Worked for Mergermarket? Contribute to the Community!