Meritage Homes Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.7

Finance Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes in July 2015.

Interview

Usual questions. HR or Recruiter was so rude it was unbelievable. If her personality is anything like management. You don't want work here. It's a phone interview with a half hour timeframe.

Construction Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Irving, TX).

Interview

Very thorough and detailed. Management seems to have it right . Explained the Mission Statement and its core values.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example where you have had a time sensitive challenge or deadline , and how you dealt with it ?   Answer Question

Key Manager At Division Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through a referral and interviewed at Meritage Homes. Local management was great and had straight forward questioning. Just wanted to know your qualifications and see if you would fit in on the team. The regional corporate level is where things went south. The interview was more about who you knew as opposed to what you knew. They then lacked follow up and communication.

Interview Questions

• There were not any difficult questions, just background.   1 Answer

Forward Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (San Antonio, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Straight forward questioning. Just wanted to know your qualifications.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter for Meritage Homes to gauge my interest in the positions and completed an initial phone screen during the initial call. Later that day I was contacted by someone in the HR department to come in to the San Antonio office that week for an hour long face-to-face interview with the regional VP. About a week after that interview I was contacted again by someone in HR and was asked to drive up to home office in Austin, TX to meet with various people in their finance and accounting departments via an all-day panel interview process. Was contacted a week later by the regional VP and asked to meet for lunch, at which point I was told that they thought I was a good fit for the job and that I would be receiving a job offer but it would take some time for HR to process the offer letter. After not hearing anything for over a month I contacted the recruiter to see if there were any issues, at which point I was told that during the interview process I asked too many "tough questions" that made them feel as though I wasn't confident in the company's future success and that they had decided to interview other candidates. Questions such as: "In your view, what effect will rising interest rates have on your company's growth strategy going forward?" or "With new home mortgage applications at a low point versus historical averages, what is your company's approach to attracting new homebuyers to drive revenue?" are apparently not acceptable questions to ask in an interview to be a financial analyst at Meritage Homes.

Interview Questions

• The interview wasn't particularly difficult. Discussed my finance background, education, etc. and how I could apply that to this job.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Houston, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was called about a week later about setting up a phone interview for a job. I went through a first phone interview with a company recruiter a few days later and it went very well, lasted about 20 minutes and he only asked me very basic questions. Set up a second interview in person, and about a week later went to their Houston office to interview with someone in the department of the job I was applying for. The interview was basically the same, it only lasted 20 minutes and he just asked me very basic questions. It seemed that I was a good candidate for the job and he told me his boss would want to speak with me soon because they would make a choice on their candidate within a week. During this interview I was also told the salary for the position was 36-40K, which seemed high to me for a position that didn't require a college degree. (I do have a degree and as a new college grad with 2 yrs. experience, I was just hoping for 36K, so I was happy.) A few days later he did call and we had a phone interview that day, but the interview was again very basic. He said they'd want to speak with me further, but I was never called again as promised. Unfortunately when I emailed the manager to ask him about it, I got a generic email saying they'd filled the position. I wasn't really disappointed at that point due to the lack of communication and the way they shuffled me around to different people to be interviewed, but didn't give me any answers on the process.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

The process was very informal. There was a job posting at my university to which I replied. I spoke at length with the recruitment department, and then had an interview with my area sales manager. We talked about my education, experience in the industry, certifications, etc... I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine which product best suits the customer?   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Corona, CA).

Interview

Went through a initial phone interview with the human resource director. 2 days later, had another phone interview with the department manager. But interviewers were extremely professional, called exactly on the hour the call was scheduled, polite, and asked relevent questions. The questions were about specifics to the job and also about soft skills such as how one would handle a conflict at work. Next step, hopefully I will get there, will be an in-person interview with the department head. Overall, a professional and reliable company.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. I think this company mostly is concentraiting on core competencies and the potential talent of individuals than specific skills, which is very refreshing.   Answer Question

Purchasing Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

The process was very quick and direct. About 2 weeks after I applied for the job, I was contacted by the corporate recruiter to schedule a phone interview. A few days after that I had a phone interview with he corporate recruiter. I was almost immediately scheduled for an in person interview with the hiring managers. After about a week I was offered the position. The process was very easy and straight forward.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers did not play mind games, they simply asked questions that pertained to the job. I was asked alot of situational questions like "What would you do in this situation." The questions all were job related and since I had experience in the position already, they were not difficult to answer. I definitly could not have faked my way through the interview though. The questions were very specific to the job and to the local market. There would have been no way to fake the answers and be successful in the interview. I really had to know what I was talking about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was made an offer via email. I called the recruiter and countered once. The hiring managers accepted and I accepted the offer the same day.

Starts Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Meritage Homes (San Antonio, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

There is an initial contact by email requesting a phone interview with a Meritage Homes corporate recruiter. Shortly there after, a human resources representative will contact the local management that is interested on the candidate to execute an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep track of things   1 Answer