Merkle

3.6

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in February 2014.

I applied for a position posted on Merkle's website in late December and was contacted via email to setup a phone screen in January.

Phone screen was with the supervisor of the position and went well. She told me that HR would email me to setup an interview. At the end of the call, she mentioned the presentation that is required during the interview process.

HR contacted me asking for dates I was available. They setup the interview for late February due to month end close and the on-going year end audit.

I interviewed with 2 employees who would be direct reports to the position, a peer and the supervisor who was a Director. I was to interview with the VP/Controller but she was travelling on business. They allotted a 1/2 hour with each person. We were able to go over since the VP would not be interviewing me. I found that even with 40-45 minutes I did not have as much time as I would have liked with each person. Everyone seemed thoroughly enthusiastic and praised Merkle. The Director conducted her interview over lunch and then I gave my presentation.

HR emailed me that day to come back the following week for an interview with the VP during lunch. She escorted me to the Director afterwards where I could ask additional questions. The Director stated she would get back to me either that day or the next.

She called the next day to offer me the job and I accepted.

Overall, the process was very organized and they made the decision quickly.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any difficult questions. They asked a lot of questions so you really need to know yourself and what you bring to the table. I understood the position and what I would be doing so I could focus on those aspects of my experience when discussing the benefits of hiring me.
      The hardest part for me was the presentation. As an Accountant, I am used to presenting numbers to people who have a vested interest in the company. I did not think these people would be interested in numbers for another company. I chose a leadership topic involving mentoring employees and managing the project. It seemed to do the trick.

Answer Question
    Negotiation was not necessary. The offer was well worth the transition.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merkle.

I had an initial phone conversation with a recruiter and then an in-person meeting with my boss and one of his direct reports. The final round of interviews was with the leadership I would be interacting with during my job, peers, subordinates, and my boss again. The last part of the interview was a presentation - they ask that everyone creates and presents a project that is relevant to the job you are interviewing for and how it is applicable. Overall, I had a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve this process to make the team more effective?   View Answer
    Talked with recruiter about salary and negotiated offer with my boss.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle in December 2012.

Ebullient phone screen followed by several telephone interviews, an onsite session of face to face interviews over one day, a business case presentation and a follow up caucus of interviewers regarding the candidate. A fair amount of disinformation is shared during this process to get you excited about the "special culture" Merkle offers to its employees.

Interview Questions
    • Curve ball questions are typically thrown at you regarding how you dealt with a difficult client, etc.   Answer Question
    Zero flexibility (and a fair amount of misrepresentation).

IT Specialist/NOC Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in September 2012.

The interview process starts with a phone call. During this phone call, the interview asked a multiple number of technical questions varying in degrees of difficulty over a wide range of technologies (active directory, exchange, linux, etc). It was a bit off setting, but if you stick with what you know, you should be good. After that came the group interview. This is not as intense as the phone interview. You are in a room with several people from different technical groups. They ask your standard behavior questions and try to get to know you, once that is done they ask about your previous technical experiences. Once done with that, you present your presentation about a past project you worked on (the presentation had to be no more than 10 minutes).

The hiring process did take about three weeks before an official offer was made. Also the role name and responsibilities did change once the offer was made. Originally the position was suppose to be in system administration, but it changed to include end user support and call center operations as well.

Interview Questions
    • Personally there weren't any difficult questions. If you know your technologies and are open with what you don not know, you should be fine.   Answer Question

Lead Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle in April 2012.

Very professional process and very very organised interviews. I was amazed to see everybody in the Panel that interviewed me was there at the Presentation and asking questions very keenly. It was very interactive session

Interview Questions
    Pretty decent offer and negotiation was also considered and accepted to a certain level

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merkle in March 2012.

Very fast interview process. I heard from them a few days after sending my resume, interviewed the following day by phone, and had on-site interviews a few days later, and by the end of that week, they called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • No unusual questions. Interviewed with 6 different people, and each one mainly wanted to find out if I'd be a "fit" for the company. I didn't feel like any of them tried to stump me with difficult questions.   Answer Question

Director IT Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

Very long process often resulting in loss of candidate to competitor.
    1. Phone Screen - 30 minutes
    2. Face to face "Coffee Talk" with 1 -3 managers - 30-60 minutes
    3. Group interview - you will be interviewed by a group of 8-12 people (peers, managers, subordinates, etc.) - 90-120 minutes. You must present on a project that demonstrates a significant accomplishment (8-12 slides).

The time between these 3 steps is days to weeks. Staff is stretched and deal with constant issues. The group interview is difficult to schedule (it's hard to find a time when 8-10 people have a 2 hour window).

Depending on who shows for the group interview, they can be very thorough. If you listed something on your resume, you better be able to speak to it.

Interview Questions
    • It would not be fair to the company to reveal their most difficult or unexpected question. This question is asked to gauge a reaction and assess several apects of the candidate (creative thinking, engineering mindset, quick on your feet, etc.).   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable, the VP of IT usually handles this and he is very focused on value and potential.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in December 2011.

Started with a HR phone screen and 3 phone interviews with the team. Then they brought you on an on-site interview, which comprises of a project review (45 mins), 5 1:1 interviews and a SAS/SQL test.

Interview Questions
    • Very technical questions and deep dive into some projects you've done. Be well prepared!   View Answer

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle in November 2011.

I applied to his position via their website. Two weeks later I received a call from HR to arrange a telephonic interview. I was expecting the interview for Statistical/Marketing analyst position. But they interviewed me for a SAS programmer position. The HR rescheduled the interview for statistical analyst position. HR was very prompt in email communication.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how marketing campaigns are designed and executed? Suppose you are given a 5k budget and want to launch a marketing campaign, how would you do it? Assume the usual response rate is 10%.   Answer Question

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in June 2011.

I'm not quite sure why this place is a "Best Place to Work".

I received a call from an internal recruiter who had found my resume online. He interviewed me on the phone for about 30 mins and gave a good explanation about the company and the position. He then recommended that I interview (on the phone again) with the person to whom I would report. I spoke with her for about 30 mins as well. Several days later, the recruiter called me back to let me know that I had made it to the final round of interviews and to come in for a day of interviews with about 5 or 6 people and then give a 20-45 minute presentation about a project I led.

For the day of interviews, they bought me lunch but there was no indication that that was going to happen - and I gave my presentation in the afternoon to everyone who I had met with earlier. When I got home after the interviews, I realized that I hadn't heard when I might hear something again so I sent an email to find out about the rest of the interview process - which nobody had bothered to explain. I received an email back that they wanted to speak with me further over the phone so we scheduled some time for later in the week.

At this point, I thought I had actually gotten the job - they would have had time to discuss my interview after I left and if I was not going to get the job, why would they need to schedule an appointment for that? Unfortunately, the next time we spoke, I was asked even more interview questions and then finally given a rundown of the interview process. Merkle apparently requires that they bring in at least 2 candidates for the group presentation interviews and I was the first (going first is always a huge negative - they never remember you when decision time comes). The decision is also based on a group vote, which is absurd. There were people who interviewed me who never would have worked with the person in this position and were in a different department entirely - so what in the world are they basing their decision on?

Two weeks after that 3rd phone interview, I got the screwiest voicemail from the Director of Talent Acquisition saying that my appointment the next day was canceled because the position had been filled. First, I didn't have an appointment. Second, thanks for letting me know I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition guy called me back to apologize for the mix-up and explained that he had called the wrong person but did tell me that they decided to offer the position to someone who was an employee referral. He also was surprised that I didn't know that I didn't get the job because he told me that he had asked the recruiter if he had called me to let me know and was told "yes".

What's so supremely aggravating is that I took a vacation day off of work so that Merkle could fulfill their strange requirement of having 2 candidates come in - when apparently, I wasn't even a contender. I have half a mind to send them a bill for my wasted vacation day - interviewing for a position I was never going to get (and putting quite a few hours into my presentation) isn't exactly how I like to spend my time off.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the person who was selected was not put through the same interview process that I was - there wouldn't have been time for the 3rd phone interview that I was subjected to. If I wanted to raise sand, I could throw out the discrimination card and considering that I interviewed for an HR-related position, I would have hoped they would have known better.

Overall, for a company with "no rules", they have a lot of rules that really don't make sense and probably waste a lot of people's time. I'm not a fan of working in a completely inefficient (and dishonest) work environment so maybe this isn't the place for me. I just wanted to bring my dog to work with me.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that I hadn't been asked before so don't expect anything too "out there". The toughest part of the interview process was the presentation. While it is informal, the audience will stop to ask questions along the way.   Answer Question