Merkle

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director IT Engineering Interview

Director IT Engineering
Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very long process often resulting in loss of candidate to competitor.
1. Phone Screen - 30 minutes
2. Face to face "Coffee Talk" with 1 -3 managers - 30-60 minutes
3. Group interview - you will be interviewed by a group of 8-12 people (peers, managers, subordinates, etc.) - 90-120 minutes. You must present on a project that demonstrates a significant accomplishment (8-12 slides).

The time between these 3 steps is days to weeks. Staff is stretched and deal with constant issues. The group interview is difficult to schedule (it's hard to find a time when 8-10 people have a 2 hour window).

Depending on who shows for the group interview, they can be very thorough. If you listed something on your resume, you better be able to speak to it.

Interview Question – It would not be fair to the company to reveal their most difficult or unexpected question. This question is asked to gauge a reaction and assess several apects of the candidate (creative thinking, engineering mindset, quick on your feet, etc.).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very negotiable, the VP of IT usually handles this and he is very focused on value and potential.

Manager Interview

Manager
Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for a position posted on Merkle's website in late December and was contacted via email to setup a phone screen in January.

Phone screen was with the supervisor of the position and went well. She told me that HR would email me to setup an interview. At the end of the call, she mentioned the presentation that is required during the interview process.

HR contacted me asking for dates I was available. They setup the interview for late February due to month end close and the on-going year end audit.

I interviewed with 2 employees who would be direct reports to the position, a peer and the supervisor who was a Director. I was to interview with the VP/Controller but she was travelling on business. They allotted a 1/2 hour with each person. We were able to go over since the VP would not be interviewing me. I found that even with 40-45 minutes I did not have as much time as I would have liked with each person. Everyone seemed thoroughly enthusiastic and praised Merkle. The Director conducted her interview over lunch and then I gave my presentation.

HR emailed me that day to come back the following week for an interview with the VP during lunch. She escorted me to the Director afterwards where I could ask additional questions. The Director stated she would get back to me either that day or the next.

She called the next day to offer me the job and I accepted.

Overall, the process was very organized and they made the decision quickly.

Interview Question – I did not have any difficult questions. They asked a lot of questions so you really need to know yourself and what you bring to the table. I understood the position and what I would be doing so I could focus on those aspects of my experience when discussing the benefits of hiring me.
The hardest part for me was the presentation. As an Accountant, I am used to presenting numbers to people who have a vested interest in the company. I did not think these people would be interested in numbers for another company. I chose a leadership topic involving mentoring employees and managing the project. It seemed to do the trick.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was not necessary. The offer was well worth the transition.

Director Interview

Director
Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merkle in December 2012.

Interview Details – Ebullient phone screen followed by several telephone interviews, an onsite session of face to face interviews over one day, a business case presentation and a follow up caucus of interviewers regarding the candidate. A fair amount of disinformation is shared during this process to get you excited about the "special culture" Merkle offers to its employees.

Interview Question – Curve ball questions are typically thrown at you regarding how you dealt with a difficult client, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero flexibility (and a fair amount of misrepresentation).

IT Specialist/NOC Technician II Interview

IT Specialist/NOC Technician II
Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in September 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process starts with a phone call. During this phone call, the interview asked a multiple number of technical questions varying in degrees of difficulty over a wide range of technologies (active directory, exchange, linux, etc). It was a bit off setting, but if you stick with what you know, you should be good. After that came the group interview. This is not as intense as the phone interview. You are in a room with several people from different technical groups. They ask your standard behavior questions and try to get to know you, once that is done they ask about your previous technical experiences. Once done with that, you present your presentation about a past project you worked on (the presentation had to be no more than 10 minutes).

The hiring process did take about three weeks before an official offer was made. Also the role name and responsibilities did change once the offer was made. Originally the position was suppose to be in system administration, but it changed to include end user support and call center operations as well.

Interview Question – Personally there weren't any difficult questions. If you know your technologies and are open with what you don not know, you should be fine.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Merkle.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone conversation with a recruiter and then an in-person meeting with my boss and one of his direct reports. The final round of interviews was with the leadership I would be interacting with during my job, peers, subordinates, and my boss again. The last part of the interview was a presentation - they ask that everyone creates and presents a project that is relevant to the job you are interviewing for and how it is applicable. Overall, I had a very good experience.

Interview Question – How would you improve this process to make the team more effective?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Talked with recruiter about salary and negotiated offer with my boss.

Lead Marketing Analyst Interview

Lead Marketing Analyst
Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Merkle in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very professional process and very very organised interviews. I was amazed to see everybody in the Panel that interviewed me was there at the Presentation and asking questions very keenly. It was very interactive session

Interview Question – analytical   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty decent offer and negotiation was also considered and accepted to a certain level

Content Strategist Interview

Content Strategist
Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Merkle in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very fast interview process. I heard from them a few days after sending my resume, interviewed the following day by phone, and had on-site interviews a few days later, and by the end of that week, they called with an offer.

Interview Question – No unusual questions. Interviewed with 6 different people, and each one mainly wanted to find out if I'd be a "fit" for the company. I didn't feel like any of them tried to stump me with difficult questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Columbia, MD

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in December 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a HR phone screen and 3 phone interviews with the team. Then they brought you on an on-site interview, which comprises of a project review (45 mins), 5 1:1 interviews and a SAS/SQL test.

Interview Question – Very technical questions and deep dive into some projects you've done. Be well prepared!   View Answer

Statistical Analyst Interview

Statistical Analyst
Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Merkle in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to his position via their website. Two weeks later I received a call from HR to arrange a telephonic interview. I was expecting the interview for Statistical/Marketing analyst position. But they interviewed me for a SAS programmer position. The HR rescheduled the interview for statistical analyst position. HR was very prompt in email communication.

Interview Question – Explain how marketing campaigns are designed and executed? Suppose you are given a 5k budget and want to launch a marketing campaign, how would you do it? Assume the usual response rate is 10%.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
Columbia, MD

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was a phone screen with a head hunter, 2 phone screens, a 430 minute presentation of a project that I had done, with time for questions, and 6 face to face interviews (one of which was lunch). I thought that this was a great way to interview because it was all completed in one day (with the exception of the phone screens). It gave me a chance to get to meet several people and get a real feeling for the company, in addition to letting them get to know me. Although it is a grueling interview process, I felt that it was efficient and fair. I have suggested doing it at my own company.

Interview Question – In my interview, I wasn't asked any difficult or unusual questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Merkle? Contribute to the Community!