Merkle Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.3

Senior Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Onsite interviewing in Baltimore, after 2 rounds of phone screening

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a hypothesis test that could be used before clustering is done on customer data?   Answer Question

Vice President Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

The process was long and involved many people and steps. In addition to phone and in person interviews, candidates had to also present a short presentation to the hiring team that related to the job you are applying for based on previous experience. While it does seem intimidating at first, each person in the room had to also do this to be hired (unless they got to Merkle via an acquisition), so they tend to be very kind and supportive.

Interview Questions

• What type of dirty laundry do you want to know about before joining Merkle?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Although my offer was exactly at what I was hoping for, I did negotiate and received 10% more (asked for 15% more). The hiring manager did have to go back to his boss for approval, which took approximately 1 day.

Merkle Response

May 11, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on our interview process.We're especially happy to hear that you seemed to enjoy the Project Review portion of the interview! Welcome to Merkle!

Director IT Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in February 2012.

Interview

Very long process often resulting in loss of candidate to competitor. 1. Phone Screen - 30 minutes 2. Face to face "Coffee Talk" with 1 -3 managers - 30-60 minutes 3. Group interview - you will be interviewed by a group of 8-12 people (peers, managers, subordinates, etc.) - 90-120 minutes. You must present on a project that demonstrates a significant accomplishment (8-12 slides). The time between these 3 steps is days to weeks. Staff is stretched and deal with constant issues. The group interview is difficult to schedule (it's hard to find a time when 8-10 people have a 2 hour window). Depending on who shows for the group interview, they can be very thorough. If you listed something on your resume, you better be able to speak to it.

Interview Questions

• It would not be fair to the company to reveal their most difficult or unexpected question. This question is asked to gauge a reaction and assess several apects of the candidate (creative thinking, engineering mindset, quick on your feet, etc.).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not very negotiable, the VP of IT usually handles this and he is very focused on value and potential.

Manager, Retail Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in September 2010.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter for 30 minutes. 2 days later I had a 1-hour phone interview with the hiring director. 10 days later I interviewed with 6 people in their Maryland office (1 VP, 2 directors and 3 managers). 4 of the 6 were in-person, 1-on-1 interviews. The other 2 were Skype interviews with people calling in from outside offices. After I spoke with all 6 people, I gave a 30-minute presentation followed by 15 minutes of Q&A.

Interview Questions

• How would you construct an algorithm to determine who, among a database of customers, should receive one of two different emails?   1 Answer

Negotiation

In a word: Horrible. I interview for a Manager role, and a week after my onsite interview I received a verbal offer for Manager. 2 days later, they called back to say they were demoting the title to Lead Analyst but that the responsibilities and compensation would be the same. A week later, still no offer letter, and they called to say they were reducing the salary. Once the offer letter finally arrived, it listed less vacation than I was verbally offered, but they would not change it. It was a classic case of bait and switch. The hiring director tried to assure me that it was no big deal, noting that Merkle changed his title from Sr. Director to Director in the exact same manner. Seems like a pretty bad pattern to me.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD).

Interview

I had an initial phone conversation with a recruiter and then an in-person meeting with my boss and one of his direct reports. The final round of interviews was with the leadership I would be interacting with during my job, peers, subordinates, and my boss again. The last part of the interview was a presentation - they ask that everyone creates and presents a project that is relevant to the job you are interviewing for and how it is applicable. Overall, I had a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve this process to make the team more effective?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Talked with recruiter about salary and negotiated offer with my boss.

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

The whole process makes you realize the fact that they know what they want and take their time to see if you fit the bill. The interview process is very rigorous. Had three phone interviews and one in person interview. Had to make one in person presentation. Technical Peers and seniors interviewed first and then the boss and his boss (I think). Very professional process and very organized prescheduled interviews with timeslots and conference setups. Everybody that interviewed me was there either in person or through a conference for the presentation. Got the feedback within a week.

Interview Questions

• Technical folks asked technical questions, in relation to the platform you used and level of experience. Was presented a problem and asked to solve it. Managers asked personality assessment questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Recruiter took care of all that. Got what I asked for.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Pretty thorough interview process, starts with two people that phone screen after hiring manager or recrutier find the person fit. This is followed by a 5 person interview and a presentation that each person needs to give.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Reasonable as hiring manager was understanding. On salary side negotiations depend on how much you are needed.

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in June 2011.

Interview

I'm not quite sure why this place is a "Best Place to Work". I received a call from an internal recruiter who had found my resume online. He interviewed me on the phone for about 30 mins and gave a good explanation about the company and the position. He then recommended that I interview (on the phone again) with the person to whom I would report. I spoke with her for about 30 mins as well. Several days later, the recruiter called me back to let me know that I had made it to the final round of interviews and to come in for a day of interviews with about 5 or 6 people and then give a 20-45 minute presentation about a project I led. For the day of interviews, they bought me lunch but there was no indication that that was going to happen - and I gave my presentation in the afternoon to everyone who I had met with earlier. When I got home after the interviews, I realized that I hadn't heard when I might hear something again so I sent an email to find out about the rest of the interview process - which nobody had bothered to explain. I received an email back that they wanted to speak with me further over the phone so we scheduled some time for later in the week. At this point, I thought I had actually gotten the job - they would have had time to discuss my interview after I left and if I was not going to get the job, why would they need to schedule an appointment for that? Unfortunately, the next time we spoke, I was asked even more interview questions and then finally given a rundown of the interview process. Merkle apparently requires that they bring in at least 2 candidates for the group presentation interviews and I was the first (going first is always a huge negative - they never remember you when decision time comes). The decision is also based on a group vote, which is absurd. There were people who interviewed me who never would have worked with the person in this position and were in a different department entirely - so what in the world are they basing their decision on? Two weeks after that 3rd phone interview, I got the screwiest voicemail from the Director of Talent Acquisition saying that my appointment the next day was canceled because the position had been filled. First, I didn't have an appointment. Second, thanks for letting me know I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition guy called me back to apologize for the mix-up and explained that he had called the wrong person but did tell me that they decided to offer the position to someone who was an employee referral. He also was surprised that I didn't know that I didn't get the job because he told me that he had asked the recruiter if he had called me to let me know and was told "yes". What's so supremely aggravating is that I took a vacation day off of work so that Merkle could fulfill their strange requirement of having 2 candidates come in - when apparently, I wasn't even a contender. I have half a mind to send them a bill for my wasted vacation day - interviewing for a position I was never going to get (and putting quite a few hours into my presentation) isn't exactly how I like to spend my time off. Also, in the interest of fairness, the person who was selected was not put through the same interview process that I was - there wouldn't have been time for the 3rd phone interview that I was subjected to. If I wanted to raise sand, I could throw out the discrimination card and considering that I interviewed for an HR-related position, I would have hoped they would have known better. Overall, for a company with "no rules", they have a lot of rules that really don't make sense and probably waste a lot of people's time. I'm not a fan of working in a completely inefficient (and dishonest) work environment so maybe this isn't the place for me. I just wanted to bring my dog to work with me.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any questions that I hadn't been asked before so don't expect anything too "out there". The toughest part of the interview process was the presentation. While it is informal, the audience will stop to ask questions along the way.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process was a phone screen with a head hunter, 2 phone screens, a 430 minute presentation of a project that I had done, with time for questions, and 6 face to face interviews (one of which was lunch). I thought that this was a great way to interview because it was all completed in one day (with the exception of the phone screens). It gave me a chance to get to meet several people and get a real feeling for the company, in addition to letting them get to know me. Although it is a grueling interview process, I felt that it was efficient and fair. I have suggested doing it at my own company.

Interview Questions

• In my interview, I wasn't asked any difficult or unusual questions.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle in February 2011.

Interview

4 hours of questions from various employees from peers to management all the way to the department head. I quite liked the process and it was very thorough. 1/2 hour presentation that all the interviewers participated in and evaluated.

Interview Questions

• N/A. You should be prepared for interviews. be yourself and don't BS. It is easy to see through that.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter took care of that, I had to do nothing but tell him my requirements and he did the rest.