Merkle

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

3.3

Senior Statistician Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Onsite interviewing in Baltimore, after 2 rounds of phone screening

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a hypothesis test that could be used before clustering is done on customer data?   Answer Question

Digital Advertising Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Merkle is very particular about recruiting and retaining top talent (think intelligent, fun, hardworking and driven), so expect a rigorous interview process to match. I had a pretty standard phone interview (talked through my resume and was asked about how familiar I was with some industry-specific terminology) before being contacted 2 days later to be invited onsite for Merkle's infamous day of interviews. This consists of back-to-back half-hour long interviews (usually ranging from between 4-6), followed by a project review where you deliver a presentation about a project you have worked on and its relevancy to your application. This presentation is prepared in advance and delivered to the people who interviewed you, as well as anyone else who wants to sit in. Expect questions! Interviews were all fairly friendly, with no unusually tricky questions.

While probably a more challenging process when compared to most companies, I never found it difficult, and those who feel the same way are likely those who will do well with Merkle's strong company culture. I received an offer within a few days - salary was a little lower than I would have liked, maybe slightly below industry average. I still accepted it because the people I met were inspiring, benefits sounded promising (unlimited vacation days!) and the office is absolutely beautiful. It was a very fast-moving and professionally organized process, and I would most definitely recommend it.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Pretty thorough interview process, starts with two people that phone screen after hiring manager or recrutier find the person fit. This is followed by a 5 person interview and a presentation that each person needs to give.

Interview Questions
    Reasonable as hiring manager was understanding. On salary side negotiations depend on how much you are needed.

Senior Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merkle.

The whole process makes you realize the fact that they know what they want and take their time to see if you fit the bill. The interview process is very rigorous. Had three phone interviews and one in person interview. Had to make one in person presentation. Technical Peers and seniors interviewed first and then the boss and his boss (I think). Very professional process and very organized prescheduled interviews with timeslots and conference setups. Everybody that interviewed me was there either in person or through a conference for the presentation. Got the feedback within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Technical folks asked technical questions, in relation to the platform you used and level of experience. Was presented a problem and asked to solve it. Managers asked personality assessment questions.   Answer Question
    Recruiter took care of all that. Got what I asked for.

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in May 2013.

I applied to the Sr. Marketing analyst position through the job posting forums. Within a week I had a phone screen from Merkle for about 10 min describing the job role and immediately followed up with 3 phone interviews back to back on consecutive days of the week. Phone interviews were limited to 30-45 min. During the phone interviews they had asked about my educational background and skill set related questions. Following the phone interview I had a fly out to Baltimore.

I arrived & stayed a night in the hotel a day before the interview. On the day of interview I had a non-stop 6 hours interview with 6 1:1 meetings and a 30 min presentation (project review) (also includes lunch break with one of the interviewer). Merkle had sent the interview schedule and guidelines for the project review on an email prior to the onsite interview. So I am pretty much prepared with whom I have to meet. Each person in 1:1 meeting (three of them who took phone interview were also present in this list) asked diverse questions related tomy resume, technical questions related to simple statistical models, logistic regression, SQL queries, SAS programming, eigen value etc. In two of the 1:1 meetings I was asked a similar question related to Direct Mail Marketing problem to target the right customers (Solution I offered is classify the population based on demographics information by running logistic regression to find the customers who are revenue generators and thereby we can discard those who are not responding to the Direct mail campaign). In the other meeting I was asked how to merge two datasets on SAS and then building up questions of how to remove duplicates. As the meeting continued to afternoon I was asked to explain p-value to someone in plain words who do not have statistical background. Nevertheless, almost all of them asked me explain my previous projects in work & in schools.

The final part of my interview process ended with presentation which was from a module of my previous project which lasted for 30 minutes and 15 minutes dedicated for questions. I was interrupted with the questions in between my slides. However, they compensated my full 30 minute project review time by cutting time short for questions and suggestions.

After the interview process, I emailed twice a week after week to get the update of the final decision. Initially, I was in their job consideration. Later they got back to me (a month after the interview process) saying that I was not selected for the job role.

Overall, interview process is rigorous and professional. I am quite positive with their recruitment process. They know what components from your resume are useful for their job requirements. So guys prepare well as it is not a cake walk! :)

Interview Questions
    • Explain P-Value in a given marketing context. As if you are presenting to the client.   View Answer

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in May 2010.

Company puts employees thru grueling day of gang interviews in company (interviewed by 6-8 different people) and then you get the "privilege" of presenting to this group to see how you present under pressure

Interview Questions
    • not any question but rather then group presentation at end of a long day of interviews that proves challenging   Answer Question
    Pretty simple and straightforward process. Offer was good to begin with so negotiations were over minor things

Digital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Was approached by a recruiter, who forgot our first phone appointment. After a brief conversation, a phoner with the hiring manager was set up. Hiring manager couldn't make that call, so hiring manager's boss ran the phone interview, which was cursory and somewhat uninformative due to lack of familiarity with the day-to-day of the role.
    Was brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people, complete with presentation as others have mentioned. Of the 5, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late for my interview and left after 5 minutes, and promised to return for my presentation but never did. Another interviewer had no idea what position I was interviewing for. All made multiple references to being "a start-up culture", despite working for a company that is decidedly not a start-up. I believe they believe "start-up culture" means "overworked, understaffed, and miserable but we have SNACKS".
    Another phone interview was set up for another position. That hiring manager blew off that phoner.
    Another recruiter reached out to explain there has been a lot of confusion about what position I was there for, but all agreed I was a good company fit and they would contact me in a few weeks.
    Total chaos and a barely apologetic waste of time.

Director IT Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

Very long process often resulting in loss of candidate to competitor.
    1. Phone Screen - 30 minutes
    2. Face to face "Coffee Talk" with 1 -3 managers - 30-60 minutes
    3. Group interview - you will be interviewed by a group of 8-12 people (peers, managers, subordinates, etc.) - 90-120 minutes. You must present on a project that demonstrates a significant accomplishment (8-12 slides).

The time between these 3 steps is days to weeks. Staff is stretched and deal with constant issues. The group interview is difficult to schedule (it's hard to find a time when 8-10 people have a 2 hour window).

Depending on who shows for the group interview, they can be very thorough. If you listed something on your resume, you better be able to speak to it.

Interview Questions
    • It would not be fair to the company to reveal their most difficult or unexpected question. This question is asked to gauge a reaction and assess several apects of the candidate (creative thinking, engineering mindset, quick on your feet, etc.).   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable, the VP of IT usually handles this and he is very focused on value and potential.

Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merkle in May 2009.

The interview was a discovery phone interview of my business development capabilities. I was asked to provide a list of targets that I would want to pursue. The interview was with the financial services business development executive and resulted in a second phone interview with the data services business development executive. We discussed my new business successes The recommendation coming out of the second phone interview was a recommendation to the financial services business development executive for a deep dive on my new business development approach. The recruiter contacted me and said that they were looking at an internal candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe 2-3 new business initiatives that you have closed in your most recent career position?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in June 2009.

A couple phone screens and than an all day on site series of 7 interviews and a 45 minute presentation...levels running from directors to SVP. Questions ranged from perceptions of previous bosses to problem solving...how would you handle certain analytic situations