Merkle Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
69 interviews

3.3

Senior Statistician Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle.

Onsite interviewing in Baltimore, after 2 rounds of phone screening

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a hypothesis test that could be used before clustering is done on customer data?   Answer Question

Digital Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle.

Was approached by a recruiter, who forgot our first phone appointment. After a brief conversation, a phoner with the hiring manager was set up. Hiring manager couldn't make that call, so hiring manager's boss ran the phone interview, which was cursory and somewhat uninformative due to lack of familiarity with the day-to-day of the role.
    Was brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people, complete with presentation as others have mentioned. Of the 5, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late for my interview and left after 5 minutes, and promised to return for my presentation but never did. Another interviewer had no idea what position I was interviewing for. All made multiple references to being "a start-up culture", despite working for a company that is decidedly not a start-up. I believe they believe "start-up culture" means "overworked, understaffed, and miserable but we have SNACKS".
    Another phone interview was set up for another position. That hiring manager blew off that phoner.
    Another recruiter reached out to explain there has been a lot of confusion about what position I was there for, but all agreed I was a good company fit and they would contact me in a few weeks.
    Total chaos and a barely apologetic waste of time.

Senior Vice President General Management Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in March 2010.

Made it through all phone screens and local on-site interviews. Company paid for trip to corporate headquarter for executive interviews which lasted all day. At end of day, was asked to give an executive presentation to all the senior managers. The topic was my choice, with no insight or direction from the Merkle team. Was told everyone goes through the same process, pick a topic you are very familiar with. The people were friendly and asked good questions-be prepared to tell them how you can provide immediate results there is no grace period.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest career mistake you're made so far?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Merkle in May 2009.

The interview was a discovery phone interview of my business development capabilities. I was asked to provide a list of targets that I would want to pursue. The interview was with the financial services business development executive and resulted in a second phone interview with the data services business development executive. We discussed my new business successes The recommendation coming out of the second phone interview was a recommendation to the financial services business development executive for a deep dive on my new business development approach. The recruiter contacted me and said that they were looking at an internal candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe 2-3 new business initiatives that you have closed in your most recent career position?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in June 2009.

A couple phone screens and than an all day on site series of 7 interviews and a 45 minute presentation...levels running from directors to SVP. Questions ranged from perceptions of previous bosses to problem solving...how would you handle certain analytic situations

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Merkle in May 2009.

After sending a resume and cover via email, I went through a phone interview. The hiring manager gave me the run-down of the interview process, telling me I would have to meet with anywhere from 6-14 people, then give a presentation. It wasn't until later that I found out they wanted me to present for 45 minutes, which seemed somewhat excessive at the time.

I was at their office for roughly 4 hours. Did my interviews, gave my presentation and left, with the promise that I'd hear something within a week. Unfortunately, even after shooting the hiring manager a follow-up email and phone call, I never heard back. Additionally, they never offered to validate parking, so I wound up paying to attend the interview.

Overall, I was impressed with the company. The organization seemed well thought-out, and the work environment seemed very fun. A young, hip, dotcom-ish crowd make up the employee base, and they seem to enjoy working there. The company also offers a number of incentives to its employees, all of which seem very appealing (and gave me the impression of a fun company culture).

Unfortunately, the whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Given how much preparation and time they expected each candidate to put into the interview, I was surprised to not even receive the common courtesy of a polite 'No thank you' when I followed up.

Interview Questions
    • I'm having trouble remembering specific questions, especially since the interview consisted of so many stakeholders. One standard question: 'What would you do if confronted with a difficult client who wanted to make a last-minute change after the deadline had passed?'   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Merkle in July 2009.

After several phone screens & a day of interviewing & presenting, I was told I really impressed them & they'd like to move forward & would contact me in 2-4 wks. They said I would be an excellent fit. But they never called back. After waiting the four mark period, I tried to get in touch via phone/email since they made it seem they wanted to bring me on board. They ignored any correspondence thereafter. While it is not uncommon for companies to change their mind, it is very uncommon to disappear completely when high level of interest is expressed. The courteous thing to do would've been to at least communicate the needs had changed. Found the whole experience very unprofessional. I wouldn't recommend working in a place like that. If this is how they treat people before they've even started, it's a bad sign.

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle in May 2013.

I applied to the Sr. Marketing analyst position through the job posting forums. Within a week I had a phone screen from Merkle for about 10 min describing the job role and immediately followed up with 3 phone interviews back to back on consecutive days of the week. Phone interviews were limited to 30-45 min. During the phone interviews they had asked about my educational background and skill set related questions. Following the phone interview I had a fly out to Baltimore.

I arrived & stayed a night in the hotel a day before the interview. On the day of interview I had a non-stop 6 hours interview with 6 1:1 meetings and a 30 min presentation (project review) (also includes lunch break with one of the interviewer). Merkle had sent the interview schedule and guidelines for the project review on an email prior to the onsite interview. So I am pretty much prepared with whom I have to meet. Each person in 1:1 meeting (three of them who took phone interview were also present in this list) asked diverse questions related tomy resume, technical questions related to simple statistical models, logistic regression, SQL queries, SAS programming, eigen value etc. In two of the 1:1 meetings I was asked a similar question related to Direct Mail Marketing problem to target the right customers (Solution I offered is classify the population based on demographics information by running logistic regression to find the customers who are revenue generators and thereby we can discard those who are not responding to the Direct mail campaign). In the other meeting I was asked how to merge two datasets on SAS and then building up questions of how to remove duplicates. As the meeting continued to afternoon I was asked to explain p-value to someone in plain words who do not have statistical background. Nevertheless, almost all of them asked me explain my previous projects in work & in schools.

The final part of my interview process ended with presentation which was from a module of my previous project which lasted for 30 minutes and 15 minutes dedicated for questions. I was interrupted with the questions in between my slides. However, they compensated my full 30 minute project review time by cutting time short for questions and suggestions.

After the interview process, I emailed twice a week after week to get the update of the final decision. Initially, I was in their job consideration. Later they got back to me (a month after the interview process) saying that I was not selected for the job role.

Overall, interview process is rigorous and professional. I am quite positive with their recruitment process. They know what components from your resume are useful for their job requirements. So guys prepare well as it is not a cake walk! :)

Interview Questions
    • Explain P-Value in a given marketing context. As if you are presenting to the client.   View Answer

Statistician Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Merkle in September 2010.

The interviewer asked me a lot of technical questions in my previous project.

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle in June 2011.

I'm not quite sure why this place is a "Best Place to Work".

I received a call from an internal recruiter who had found my resume online. He interviewed me on the phone for about 30 mins and gave a good explanation about the company and the position. He then recommended that I interview (on the phone again) with the person to whom I would report. I spoke with her for about 30 mins as well. Several days later, the recruiter called me back to let me know that I had made it to the final round of interviews and to come in for a day of interviews with about 5 or 6 people and then give a 20-45 minute presentation about a project I led.

For the day of interviews, they bought me lunch but there was no indication that that was going to happen - and I gave my presentation in the afternoon to everyone who I had met with earlier. When I got home after the interviews, I realized that I hadn't heard when I might hear something again so I sent an email to find out about the rest of the interview process - which nobody had bothered to explain. I received an email back that they wanted to speak with me further over the phone so we scheduled some time for later in the week.

At this point, I thought I had actually gotten the job - they would have had time to discuss my interview after I left and if I was not going to get the job, why would they need to schedule an appointment for that? Unfortunately, the next time we spoke, I was asked even more interview questions and then finally given a rundown of the interview process. Merkle apparently requires that they bring in at least 2 candidates for the group presentation interviews and I was the first (going first is always a huge negative - they never remember you when decision time comes). The decision is also based on a group vote, which is absurd. There were people who interviewed me who never would have worked with the person in this position and were in a different department entirely - so what in the world are they basing their decision on?

Two weeks after that 3rd phone interview, I got the screwiest voicemail from the Director of Talent Acquisition saying that my appointment the next day was canceled because the position had been filled. First, I didn't have an appointment. Second, thanks for letting me know I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition guy called me back to apologize for the mix-up and explained that he had called the wrong person but did tell me that they decided to offer the position to someone who was an employee referral. He also was surprised that I didn't know that I didn't get the job because he told me that he had asked the recruiter if he had called me to let me know and was told "yes".

What's so supremely aggravating is that I took a vacation day off of work so that Merkle could fulfill their strange requirement of having 2 candidates come in - when apparently, I wasn't even a contender. I have half a mind to send them a bill for my wasted vacation day - interviewing for a position I was never going to get (and putting quite a few hours into my presentation) isn't exactly how I like to spend my time off.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the person who was selected was not put through the same interview process that I was - there wouldn't have been time for the 3rd phone interview that I was subjected to. If I wanted to raise sand, I could throw out the discrimination card and considering that I interviewed for an HR-related position, I would have hoped they would have known better.

Overall, for a company with "no rules", they have a lot of rules that really don't make sense and probably waste a lot of people's time. I'm not a fan of working in a completely inefficient (and dishonest) work environment so maybe this isn't the place for me. I just wanted to bring my dog to work with me.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that I hadn't been asked before so don't expect anything too "out there". The toughest part of the interview process was the presentation. While it is informal, the audience will stop to ask questions along the way.   Answer Question

Worked for Merkle? Contribute to the Community!