Merkle

Updated Dec 30, 2014
Updated Dec 30, 2014

3.3

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merkle.

routine questions, people ask you to recite the book, you can see how stubborn the people there

Senior Project Manager Interview

Before the interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation in which I walked through a challenging project I had managed. During the presentation there was open discussion about the details of th eproject and how I handled certain situations.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in August 2010.

Merkle does tw phone screens and then a full day onsite interview. it is a stringent process but ensures both fit for skills and culture. Be prepared for all types of questions and interviewing with lots of levels of individuals (both peer and supervisor). Merkle hires very limited entry level and it is best if you know someone within the organization to clear a path for you.

Learning and Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

About a week after I submitted my resume, a Merkle HR representative contacted me. We set up a 30 minute interview for the following day. Nothing was really unexpected about this first call, although she did say she did not have any details about the day-to-day duties of the job and that if we moved onto the next phone interview, that particular person would have more details. She just asked questions about my resume and experience, as well as more specific questions about what elearning tools I had experience with. She said that she would like to set me up for the second interview and would contact me the next day. I waited, but no email or phone call came, so another day later I emailed her. She said that they had decided to fill the position internally and that she meant to send me a message sooner.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult or unexpected for the first round of phone interviews.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Merkle is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

Interview Questions
    • You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle in January 2009.

I Interviewed with four different people, back to back, one after the other. It was pretty simple and straight to the point. It was mostly behavioral questions and not much else. I was applying for a low level analyst position so there weren't many technical questions. Just "do you know ______?" and I would answer yes or no. The facility was nice and they paid for lunch & the drive.

Account Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in May 2009.

I found the position through LinkedIn, via a Merkle recruiter. I actually was asking about another position, but the recruiter told me about this position and thought I had a great background and experience set for it. She was a Merkle employee, but dedicated to talent recruitment.

I interviewed over the phone with her. As a follow-up, I also interviewed with a VP over the phone who said she was recommending me for an on-site interview. After a week, I hadn't heard back and contacted the recruiter who informed me they were pursuing others instead of me.

I get that they may want to pursue others, but I can't believe the VP recommended I move to the next step, then no one calls me to tell me that's not the case? It also took two messages with the recruiter to finally get her to call me back. They were really going after me at first, then decided I wasn't good enough for a call back.

I have to look at it this way..."someone" was telling me this wasn't the place for me.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult account or client and why?   View Answer

IT Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in December 2011.

I applied for a Senior IT position and performed a series of phone screens which I passed. Next I was brought in for a panel interview. It was a group of people and I was asked a few technical questions, and given a scenario, and quizzed about how I would react. Next I gave a presentation on relevant work to the job I was applying for. Everyone seemed pleased with me and the manager followed up with me than evening for a recap. We spoke of salary and and we agreed with a good rate. Next I was informed of a hiring freeze and they had to go through the motions of getting my application approved. This was doing the holiday period so I waited a few weeks since people would be out of the office. After the holiday's I started inquiring about the hiring freeze and no calls or emails were ever returned. After a few weeks of this I gave up and started to move forward with other companies. All in all they were really nice, and it looked like a great place to be. I'm not sure what went wrong with my process, but I would give them a try if they have something that you are a fit for.

DB Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

There was a phone interview first, then there was a walkin interview where I had to face two tech leads.

Interview Questions
    • There are no difficult questions. It is mostly about your work experience and the tools you have worked in and some simple sql questions like joins.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They later selected me for a full time but they offered only 60,000 which was a little depressing.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merkle in September 2012.

The interview process is very precise - multiple phone interviews followed by an in person interview during which you will meet at least 5 individuals and you will also be expected to give a presentation. After the interview the group meets to discuss their experience with you - they decide 1) if you're a good fit for Merkle, and 2) if you're a good fit for the actual position. If they decide that the answer to 1 is yes, but the answer to 2 is no, then they may offer you a different job.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly didn't think any of their question were difficult, or unexpected.   Answer Question
    They offered me a job other than the one I was interested in; the "new" job did not have the same benefits as the original. The end result was that I accepted the job, with a lower salary than I was looking for, with no bonus potential (first time in 10 years for me) and ended up a fairly unhappy employee. Don't settle - when they tell you that you will have an opportunity to grow quickly they are not being truthful.