Merkle Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

3.4

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

About a week after I submitted my resume, a Merkle HR representative contacted me. We set up a 30 minute interview for the following day. Nothing was really unexpected about this first call, although she did say she did not have any details about the day-to-day duties of the job and that if we moved onto the next phone interview, that particular person would have more details. She just asked questions about my resume and experience, as well as more specific questions about what elearning tools I had experience with. She said that she would like to set me up for the second interview and would contact me the next day. I waited, but no email or phone call came, so another day later I emailed her. She said that they had decided to fill the position internally and that she meant to send me a message sooner.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult or unexpected for the first round of phone interviews.   Answer Question

Lead Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merkle (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Seven 1:1 interviews and a 45-min presentation to the group. Interviews were confirmed several days in advance, but changed on the day. First interviewer was a no-show, others swapped in last minute and I wasn't given an updated schedule with names / titles. They said this is common practice.

Interview Questions

• None. Questions were all expected. Interviewers didn't appear to have questions prepared; a stream-of-consciousness approach.   Answer Question

Unethical behaviors by HR and line manager (i.e. back-door references). After pursuing me for several months, and after I "passed" their interviewing process with at least 6 people endorsing my hire, they called to tell me they were doing "back-door references" on me.

The irony is that my presentation to them earlier in the day included points on ensuring candidate confidentiality AND delivering a positive candidate experience. No bueno. No thanks.

Digital Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (New York, NY).

Interview

Was approached by a recruiter, who forgot our first phone appointment. After a brief conversation, a phoner with the hiring manager was set up. Hiring manager couldn't make that call, so hiring manager's boss ran the phone interview, which was cursory and somewhat uninformative due to lack of familiarity with the day-to-day of the role.
    Was brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people, complete with presentation as others have mentioned. Of the 5, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late for my interview and left after 5 minutes, and promised to return for my presentation but never did. Another interviewer had no idea what position I was interviewing for. All made multiple references to being "a start-up culture", despite working for a company that is decidedly not a start-up. I believe they believe "start-up culture" means "overworked, understaffed, and miserable but we have SNACKS".
    Another phone interview was set up for another position. That hiring manager blew off that phoner.
    Another recruiter reached out to explain there has been a lot of confusion about what position I was there for, but all agreed I was a good company fit and they would contact me in a few weeks.
    Total chaos and a barely apologetic waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What position are you here for?   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Interview

Before the interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation in which I walked through a challenging project I had managed. During the presentation there was open discussion about the details of th eproject and how I handled certain situations.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for a position posted on Merkle's website in late December and was contacted via email to setup a phone screen in January.

Phone screen was with the supervisor of the position and went well. She told me that HR would email me to setup an interview. At the end of the call, she mentioned the presentation that is required during the interview process.

HR contacted me asking for dates I was available. They setup the interview for late February due to month end close and the on-going year end audit.

I interviewed with 2 employees who would be direct reports to the position, a peer and the supervisor who was a Director. I was to interview with the VP/Controller but she was travelling on business. They allotted a 1/2 hour with each person. We were able to go over since the VP would not be interviewing me. I found that even with 40-45 minutes I did not have as much time as I would have liked with each person. Everyone seemed thoroughly enthusiastic and praised Merkle. The Director conducted her interview over lunch and then I gave my presentation.

HR emailed me that day to come back the following week for an interview with the VP during lunch. She escorted me to the Director afterwards where I could ask additional questions. The Director stated she would get back to me either that day or the next.

She called the next day to offer me the job and I accepted.

Overall, the process was very organized and they made the decision quickly.

Interview Questions

• I did not have any difficult questions. They asked a lot of questions so you really need to know yourself and what you bring to the table. I understood the position and what I would be doing so I could focus on those aspects of my experience when discussing the benefits of hiring me.
      The hardest part for me was the presentation. As an Accountant, I am used to presenting numbers to people who have a vested interest in the company. I did not think these people would be interested in numbers for another company. I chose a leadership topic involving mentoring employees and managing the project. It seemed to do the trick.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was not necessary. The offer was well worth the transition.

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Merkle (Boston, MA).

Interview

Got the interview through college hiring. Got the interview after that and went through phone interview. It's the basic questions regarding data warehouse, design, implementation and some behavior question. Not too tough.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

barely room for salary negotiation

Digital Advertising Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Merkle is very particular about recruiting and retaining top talent (think intelligent, fun, hardworking and driven), so expect a rigorous interview process to match. I had a pretty standard phone interview (talked through my resume and was asked about how familiar I was with some industry-specific terminology) before being contacted 2 days later to be invited onsite for Merkle's infamous day of interviews. This consists of back-to-back half-hour long interviews (usually ranging from between 4-6), followed by a project review where you deliver a presentation about a project you have worked on and its relevancy to your application. This presentation is prepared in advance and delivered to the people who interviewed you, as well as anyone else who wants to sit in. Expect questions! Interviews were all fairly friendly, with no unusually tricky questions.

While probably a more challenging process when compared to most companies, I never found it difficult, and those who feel the same way are likely those who will do well with Merkle's strong company culture. I received an offer within a few days - salary was a little lower than I would have liked, maybe slightly below industry average. I still accepted it because the people I met were inspiring, benefits sounded promising (unlimited vacation days!) and the office is absolutely beautiful. It was a very fast-moving and professionally organized process, and I would most definitely recommend it.

Senior Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Onsite interviewing in Baltimore, after 2 rounds of phone screening

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a hypothesis test that could be used before clustering is done on customer data?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Baltimore, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied to the Sr. Marketing analyst position through the job posting forums. Within a week I had a phone screen from Merkle for about 10 min describing the job role and immediately followed up with 3 phone interviews back to back on consecutive days of the week. Phone interviews were limited to 30-45 min. During the phone interviews they had asked about my educational background and skill set related questions. Following the phone interview I had a fly out to Baltimore.

I arrived & stayed a night in the hotel a day before the interview. On the day of interview I had a non-stop 6 hours interview with 6 1:1 meetings and a 30 min presentation (project review) (also includes lunch break with one of the interviewer). Merkle had sent the interview schedule and guidelines for the project review on an email prior to the onsite interview. So I am pretty much prepared with whom I have to meet. Each person in 1:1 meeting (three of them who took phone interview were also present in this list) asked diverse questions related tomy resume, technical questions related to simple statistical models, logistic regression, SQL queries, SAS programming, eigen value etc. In two of the 1:1 meetings I was asked a similar question related to Direct Mail Marketing problem to target the right customers (Solution I offered is classify the population based on demographics information by running logistic regression to find the customers who are revenue generators and thereby we can discard those who are not responding to the Direct mail campaign). In the other meeting I was asked how to merge two datasets on SAS and then building up questions of how to remove duplicates. As the meeting continued to afternoon I was asked to explain p-value to someone in plain words who do not have statistical background. Nevertheless, almost all of them asked me explain my previous projects in work & in schools.

The final part of my interview process ended with presentation which was from a module of my previous project which lasted for 30 minutes and 15 minutes dedicated for questions. I was interrupted with the questions in between my slides. However, they compensated my full 30 minute project review time by cutting time short for questions and suggestions.

After the interview process, I emailed twice a week after week to get the update of the final decision. Initially, I was in their job consideration. Later they got back to me (a month after the interview process) saying that I was not selected for the job role.

Overall, interview process is rigorous and professional. I am quite positive with their recruitment process. They know what components from your resume are useful for their job requirements. So guys prepare well as it is not a cake walk! :)

Interview Questions

• Explain P-Value in a given marketing context. As if you are presenting to the client.   1 Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

The whole process makes you realize the fact that they know what they want and take their time to see if you fit the bill. The interview process is very rigorous. Had three phone interviews and one in person interview. Had to make one in person presentation. Technical Peers and seniors interviewed first and then the boss and his boss (I think). Very professional process and very organized prescheduled interviews with timeslots and conference setups. Everybody that interviewed me was there either in person or through a conference for the presentation. Got the feedback within a week.

Interview Questions

• Technical folks asked technical questions, in relation to the platform you used and level of experience. Was presented a problem and asked to solve it. Managers asked personality assessment questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Recruiter took care of all that. Got what I asked for.