Merkle

Updated Dec 30, 2014
Updated Dec 30, 2014

3.3

Digital Advertising Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Merkle is very particular about recruiting and retaining top talent (think intelligent, fun, hardworking and driven), so expect a rigorous interview process to match. I had a pretty standard phone interview (talked through my resume and was asked about how familiar I was with some industry-specific terminology) before being contacted 2 days later to be invited onsite for Merkle's infamous day of interviews. This consists of back-to-back half-hour long interviews (usually ranging from between 4-6), followed by a project review where you deliver a presentation about a project you have worked on and its relevancy to your application. This presentation is prepared in advance and delivered to the people who interviewed you, as well as anyone else who wants to sit in. Expect questions! Interviews were all fairly friendly, with no unusually tricky questions.

While probably a more challenging process when compared to most companies, I never found it difficult, and those who feel the same way are likely those who will do well with Merkle's strong company culture. I received an offer within a few days - salary was a little lower than I would have liked, maybe slightly below industry average. I still accepted it because the people I met were inspiring, benefits sounded promising (unlimited vacation days!) and the office is absolutely beautiful. It was a very fast-moving and professionally organized process, and I would most definitely recommend it.

Senior Statistician Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Onsite interviewing in Baltimore, after 2 rounds of phone screening

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a hypothesis test that could be used before clustering is done on customer data?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in May 2013.

I applied to the Sr. Marketing analyst position through the job posting forums. Within a week I had a phone screen from Merkle for about 10 min describing the job role and immediately followed up with 3 phone interviews back to back on consecutive days of the week. Phone interviews were limited to 30-45 min. During the phone interviews they had asked about my educational background and skill set related questions. Following the phone interview I had a fly out to Baltimore.

I arrived & stayed a night in the hotel a day before the interview. On the day of interview I had a non-stop 6 hours interview with 6 1:1 meetings and a 30 min presentation (project review) (also includes lunch break with one of the interviewer). Merkle had sent the interview schedule and guidelines for the project review on an email prior to the onsite interview. So I am pretty much prepared with whom I have to meet. Each person in 1:1 meeting (three of them who took phone interview were also present in this list) asked diverse questions related tomy resume, technical questions related to simple statistical models, logistic regression, SQL queries, SAS programming, eigen value etc. In two of the 1:1 meetings I was asked a similar question related to Direct Mail Marketing problem to target the right customers (Solution I offered is classify the population based on demographics information by running logistic regression to find the customers who are revenue generators and thereby we can discard those who are not responding to the Direct mail campaign). In the other meeting I was asked how to merge two datasets on SAS and then building up questions of how to remove duplicates. As the meeting continued to afternoon I was asked to explain p-value to someone in plain words who do not have statistical background. Nevertheless, almost all of them asked me explain my previous projects in work & in schools.

The final part of my interview process ended with presentation which was from a module of my previous project which lasted for 30 minutes and 15 minutes dedicated for questions. I was interrupted with the questions in between my slides. However, they compensated my full 30 minute project review time by cutting time short for questions and suggestions.

After the interview process, I emailed twice a week after week to get the update of the final decision. Initially, I was in their job consideration. Later they got back to me (a month after the interview process) saying that I was not selected for the job role.

Overall, interview process is rigorous and professional. I am quite positive with their recruitment process. They know what components from your resume are useful for their job requirements. So guys prepare well as it is not a cake walk! :)

Interview Questions
    • Explain P-Value in a given marketing context. As if you are presenting to the client.   View Answer

Senior Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merkle.

The whole process makes you realize the fact that they know what they want and take their time to see if you fit the bill. The interview process is very rigorous. Had three phone interviews and one in person interview. Had to make one in person presentation. Technical Peers and seniors interviewed first and then the boss and his boss (I think). Very professional process and very organized prescheduled interviews with timeslots and conference setups. Everybody that interviewed me was there either in person or through a conference for the presentation. Got the feedback within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Technical folks asked technical questions, in relation to the platform you used and level of experience. Was presented a problem and asked to solve it. Managers asked personality assessment questions.   Answer Question
    Recruiter took care of all that. Got what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

multiple phone interviews and then rigorous in-person interviews with presentation

Interview Questions
    negotiated for higher salary than offered

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Pretty thorough interview process, starts with two people that phone screen after hiring manager or recrutier find the person fit. This is followed by a 5 person interview and a presentation that each person needs to give.

Interview Questions
    Reasonable as hiring manager was understanding. On salary side negotiations depend on how much you are needed.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merkle.

routine questions, people ask you to recite the book, you can see how stubborn the people there

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

I was submitted by a recruiting agency for a copyeditor position in Merkle's King of Prussia office. Despite being told the need to fill the role in the editing department was urgent, the interview process (two phone screens, a lengthy proofreading test, and an in-person meeting with people I'd be working with) seemed very protracted. Though I wasn't subjected to Merkle's infamous panel interview and presentation, the interview with the potential colleagues was nervewracking.

I will say that the people I interviewed with were, to a man, very candid about the amount of work in the position and that the hours are long.

Interview Questions
    • Even if you're submitted by an agency or a recruiter, have an answer for the question "Why Merkle?"   View Answer

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merkle.

I had an initial phone conversation with a recruiter and then an in-person meeting with my boss and one of his direct reports. The final round of interviews was with the leadership I would be interacting with during my job, peers, subordinates, and my boss again. The last part of the interview was a presentation - they ask that everyone creates and presents a project that is relevant to the job you are interviewing for and how it is applicable. Overall, I had a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve this process to make the team more effective?   View Answer
    Talked with recruiter about salary and negotiated offer with my boss.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle in December 2012.

Ebullient phone screen followed by several telephone interviews, an onsite session of face to face interviews over one day, a business case presentation and a follow up caucus of interviewers regarding the candidate. A fair amount of disinformation is shared during this process to get you excited about the "special culture" Merkle offers to its employees.

Interview Questions
    • Curve ball questions are typically thrown at you regarding how you dealt with a difficult client, etc.   Answer Question
    Zero flexibility (and a fair amount of misrepresentation).