Merkle Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (New York, NY).

Interview

multiple phone interviews and then rigorous in-person interviews with presentation

Interview Questions

Negotiation

negotiated for higher salary than offered

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Pretty thorough interview process, starts with two people that phone screen after hiring manager or recrutier find the person fit. This is followed by a 5 person interview and a presentation that each person needs to give.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Reasonable as hiring manager was understanding. On salary side negotiations depend on how much you are needed.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

routine questions, people ask you to recite the book, you can see how stubborn the people there

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (King of Prussia, PA).

Interview

I was submitted by a recruiting agency for a copyeditor position in Merkle's King of Prussia office. Despite being told the need to fill the role in the editing department was urgent, the interview process (two phone screens, a lengthy proofreading test, and an in-person meeting with people I'd be working with) seemed very protracted. Though I wasn't subjected to Merkle's infamous panel interview and presentation, the interview with the potential colleagues was nervewracking.

I will say that the people I interviewed with were, to a man, very candid about the amount of work in the position and that the hours are long.

Interview Questions

• Even if you're submitted by an agency or a recruiter, have an answer for the question "Why Merkle?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in December 2012.

Interview

Ebullient phone screen followed by several telephone interviews, an onsite session of face to face interviews over one day, a business case presentation and a follow up caucus of interviewers regarding the candidate. A fair amount of disinformation is shared during this process to get you excited about the "special culture" Merkle offers to its employees.

Interview Questions

• Curve ball questions are typically thrown at you regarding how you dealt with a difficult client, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Zero flexibility (and a fair amount of misrepresentation).

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD).

Interview

I had an initial phone conversation with a recruiter and then an in-person meeting with my boss and one of his direct reports. The final round of interviews was with the leadership I would be interacting with during my job, peers, subordinates, and my boss again. The last part of the interview was a presentation - they ask that everyone creates and presents a project that is relevant to the job you are interviewing for and how it is applicable. Overall, I had a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve this process to make the team more effective?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Talked with recruiter about salary and negotiated offer with my boss.

Operations Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Little Rock, AR) in December 2012.

Interview

I applied for this college internship position through an employer referral. I did 2 15-20 minute screens. The first was with the hiring manager and it was basic questions about my experience/school work/resume. The second was with a Tech Lead from the account team the position was for, and it was mostly focused on my technical background and experience and my exposure to SQL. I then was asked to come for on site interviews a couple weeks later. This consisted of 3 back to back interviews with potential team members. The order was: Senior Operations Analyst, Lead Operations Analyst, Director. They were relaxed and conversational. Each person gave an overview of the account from their position and explained the internship position briefly. They each asked me about my background and experience and general questions about my resume. I was asked about my experience with SQL, etc. As this was for an internship, I was not required to give a presentation. I was asked questions about class projects and experiences, but no formal presentation. Overall, the experience was great and took about a month from applying to accepting their offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all straightforward and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as the position was a college internship. However, I was offered a full time position after graduation. They presented their initial offer and I was able to negotiate a higher starting salary with the input of my manager (accepted starting salary was ~15% more than initial offer).

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2012.

Interview

I had 2 initial phone screens with the Hiring Managers of the position before they brought me in for an onsite interview. The process took about a week. I met with their team of 5 copywriters for general Q&A and took a proofreading test to conclude the interview. Received feedback immediately that I was their leading candidate. The Hiring Manager told me this for 6 weeks before offering me a contractor position instead of the fulltime position I interviewed for. I had to politely decline.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question - Are you willing to work 60 hour weeks?   Answer Question

Not willing to take a contractor position.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in October 2012.

Interview

I applied the position on my university career website and heard back from them after a week for a phone interview with a senior analyst. The interview was really casual and we just talked through my resume. The second phone interview was followed by a week with a director. We first went through my background and he asked me a case study. I think I did not do well on the case so I didn't get the chance for an on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merkle (Marlborough, MA) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview process is very precise - multiple phone interviews followed by an in person interview during which you will meet at least 5 individuals and you will also be expected to give a presentation. After the interview the group meets to discuss their experience with you - they decide 1) if you're a good fit for Merkle, and 2) if you're a good fit for the actual position. If they decide that the answer to 1 is yes, but the answer to 2 is no, then they may offer you a different job.

Interview Questions

• I honestly didn't think any of their question were difficult, or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me a job other than the one I was interested in; the "new" job did not have the same benefits as the original. The end result was that I accepted the job, with a lower salary than I was looking for, with no bonus potential (first time in 10 years for me) and ended up a fairly unhappy employee. Don't settle - when they tell you that you will have an opportunity to grow quickly they are not being truthful.