Merkle Interview Questions

3.3

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in October 2012.

I had 2 initial phone screens with the Hiring Managers of the position before they brought me in for an onsite interview. The process took about a week. I met with their team of 5 copywriters for general Q&A and took a proofreading test to conclude the interview. Received feedback immediately that I was their leading candidate. The Hiring Manager told me this for 6 weeks before offering me a contractor position instead of the fulltime position I interviewed for. I had to politely decline.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question - Are you willing to work 60 hour weeks?   Answer Question

Not willing to take a contractor position.

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in October 2012.

I applied the position on my university career website and heard back from them after a week for a phone interview with a senior analyst. The interview was really casual and we just talked through my resume. The second phone interview was followed by a week with a director. We first went through my background and he asked me a case study. I think I did not do well on the case so I didn't get the chance for an on-site interview.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merkle in September 2012.

The interview process is very precise - multiple phone interviews followed by an in person interview during which you will meet at least 5 individuals and you will also be expected to give a presentation. After the interview the group meets to discuss their experience with you - they decide 1) if you're a good fit for Merkle, and 2) if you're a good fit for the actual position. If they decide that the answer to 1 is yes, but the answer to 2 is no, then they may offer you a different job.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly didn't think any of their question were difficult, or unexpected.   Answer Question
    They offered me a job other than the one I was interested in; the "new" job did not have the same benefits as the original. The end result was that I accepted the job, with a lower salary than I was looking for, with no bonus potential (first time in 10 years for me) and ended up a fairly unhappy employee. Don't settle - when they tell you that you will have an opportunity to grow quickly they are not being truthful.

IT Specialist/NOC Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in September 2012.

The interview process starts with a phone call. During this phone call, the interview asked a multiple number of technical questions varying in degrees of difficulty over a wide range of technologies (active directory, exchange, linux, etc). It was a bit off setting, but if you stick with what you know, you should be good. After that came the group interview. This is not as intense as the phone interview. You are in a room with several people from different technical groups. They ask your standard behavior questions and try to get to know you, once that is done they ask about your previous technical experiences. Once done with that, you present your presentation about a past project you worked on (the presentation had to be no more than 10 minutes).

The hiring process did take about three weeks before an official offer was made. Also the role name and responsibilities did change once the offer was made. Originally the position was suppose to be in system administration, but it changed to include end user support and call center operations as well.

Interview Questions
    • Personally there weren't any difficult questions. If you know your technologies and are open with what you don not know, you should be fine.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merkle in May 2012.

I was referred to Merkle by a colleague which made the process go a little faster. My original boss was out of Little Rock so I did have to travel as part of the interview process. It was a fairly quick and painless process.

Interview Questions
    • Merkle is a perfect company for me so I don't remember any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    Quick and easy.

Lead Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle in April 2012.

Very professional process and very very organised interviews. I was amazed to see everybody in the Panel that interviewed me was there at the Presentation and asking questions very keenly. It was very interactive session

Interview Questions
    Pretty decent offer and negotiation was also considered and accepted to a certain level

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merkle in March 2012.

Very fast interview process. I heard from them a few days after sending my resume, interviewed the following day by phone, and had on-site interviews a few days later, and by the end of that week, they called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • No unusual questions. Interviewed with 6 different people, and each one mainly wanted to find out if I'd be a "fit" for the company. I didn't feel like any of them tried to stump me with difficult questions.   Answer Question

DB Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

There was a phone interview first, then there was a walkin interview where I had to face two tech leads.

Interview Questions
    • There are no difficult questions. It is mostly about your work experience and the tools you have worked in and some simple sql questions like joins.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They later selected me for a full time but they offered only 60,000 which was a little depressing.

Director IT Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

Very long process often resulting in loss of candidate to competitor.
    1. Phone Screen - 30 minutes
    2. Face to face "Coffee Talk" with 1 -3 managers - 30-60 minutes
    3. Group interview - you will be interviewed by a group of 8-12 people (peers, managers, subordinates, etc.) - 90-120 minutes. You must present on a project that demonstrates a significant accomplishment (8-12 slides).

The time between these 3 steps is days to weeks. Staff is stretched and deal with constant issues. The group interview is difficult to schedule (it's hard to find a time when 8-10 people have a 2 hour window).

Depending on who shows for the group interview, they can be very thorough. If you listed something on your resume, you better be able to speak to it.

Interview Questions
    • It would not be fair to the company to reveal their most difficult or unexpected question. This question is asked to gauge a reaction and assess several apects of the candidate (creative thinking, engineering mindset, quick on your feet, etc.).   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable, the VP of IT usually handles this and he is very focused on value and potential.

Image Keyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

you apply online, they mass hire
    they call you for a interview date (individual interviews)
    you get the interview, they ask you the basics
    name
    address
    type of shift/number of hours
    pay rate you would like
    computer skills
    they ask you to take a typing test for WPM (no drug screening)
    they call you in 1 or 2 days for orientation (always on a wednesday or thursday)
    you come in and take a tour with a group of new co-workers
    they ask you if you want to come in that night or the next day and tour is over

Interview Questions
    don't quit your day job for this