Merkle

Updated Feb 5, 2015

3.3

Director IT Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

Very long process often resulting in loss of candidate to competitor.
    1. Phone Screen - 30 minutes
    2. Face to face "Coffee Talk" with 1 -3 managers - 30-60 minutes
    3. Group interview - you will be interviewed by a group of 8-12 people (peers, managers, subordinates, etc.) - 90-120 minutes. You must present on a project that demonstrates a significant accomplishment (8-12 slides).

The time between these 3 steps is days to weeks. Staff is stretched and deal with constant issues. The group interview is difficult to schedule (it's hard to find a time when 8-10 people have a 2 hour window).

Depending on who shows for the group interview, they can be very thorough. If you listed something on your resume, you better be able to speak to it.

Interview Questions
    • It would not be fair to the company to reveal their most difficult or unexpected question. This question is asked to gauge a reaction and assess several apects of the candidate (creative thinking, engineering mindset, quick on your feet, etc.).   Answer Question
    Not very negotiable, the VP of IT usually handles this and he is very focused on value and potential.

Image Keyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merkle in February 2012.

you apply online, they mass hire
    they call you for a interview date (individual interviews)
    you get the interview, they ask you the basics
    name
    address
    type of shift/number of hours
    pay rate you would like
    computer skills
    they ask you to take a typing test for WPM (no drug screening)
    they call you in 1 or 2 days for orientation (always on a wednesday or thursday)
    you come in and take a tour with a group of new co-workers
    they ask you if you want to come in that night or the next day and tour is over

Interview Questions
    don't quit your day job for this

Associate Account Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in December 2011.

Extensive, had to give a presentation at the end of it. Talked to 5-6 people on the phone, then met with 4-5 in person, gave a presentation to a room of about 10 people.

Interview Questions
    They would not negotiate.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in December 2011.

Started with a HR phone screen and 3 phone interviews with the team. Then they brought you on an on-site interview, which comprises of a project review (45 mins), 5 1:1 interviews and a SAS/SQL test.

Interview Questions
    • Very technical questions and deep dive into some projects you've done. Be well prepared!   View Answer

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle in November 2011.

I applied to his position via their website. Two weeks later I received a call from HR to arrange a telephonic interview. I was expecting the interview for Statistical/Marketing analyst position. But they interviewed me for a SAS programmer position. The HR rescheduled the interview for statistical analyst position. HR was very prompt in email communication.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how marketing campaigns are designed and executed? Suppose you are given a 5k budget and want to launch a marketing campaign, how would you do it? Assume the usual response rate is 10%.   Answer Question

Optimization Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in October 2011.

how do you see your weakness

Interview Questions
    time management and multiple work

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in July 2011.

I got a call from the HR when one of my friend referred me . She asked basic questions regarding relocation and my education level. Then scheduled a date for a Skype interview online with 3 of my team members and finally received a call the very next morning that i have been offered this position.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewer asked me questions relating to OS level / Linux, Unix related regarding how to Free up the memory when the process is not running or seems to be hung?   View Answer
    Nothing much to negotiate as i joined this company as an entry level.

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle in June 2011.

I'm not quite sure why this place is a "Best Place to Work".

I received a call from an internal recruiter who had found my resume online. He interviewed me on the phone for about 30 mins and gave a good explanation about the company and the position. He then recommended that I interview (on the phone again) with the person to whom I would report. I spoke with her for about 30 mins as well. Several days later, the recruiter called me back to let me know that I had made it to the final round of interviews and to come in for a day of interviews with about 5 or 6 people and then give a 20-45 minute presentation about a project I led.

For the day of interviews, they bought me lunch but there was no indication that that was going to happen - and I gave my presentation in the afternoon to everyone who I had met with earlier. When I got home after the interviews, I realized that I hadn't heard when I might hear something again so I sent an email to find out about the rest of the interview process - which nobody had bothered to explain. I received an email back that they wanted to speak with me further over the phone so we scheduled some time for later in the week.

At this point, I thought I had actually gotten the job - they would have had time to discuss my interview after I left and if I was not going to get the job, why would they need to schedule an appointment for that? Unfortunately, the next time we spoke, I was asked even more interview questions and then finally given a rundown of the interview process. Merkle apparently requires that they bring in at least 2 candidates for the group presentation interviews and I was the first (going first is always a huge negative - they never remember you when decision time comes). The decision is also based on a group vote, which is absurd. There were people who interviewed me who never would have worked with the person in this position and were in a different department entirely - so what in the world are they basing their decision on?

Two weeks after that 3rd phone interview, I got the screwiest voicemail from the Director of Talent Acquisition saying that my appointment the next day was canceled because the position had been filled. First, I didn't have an appointment. Second, thanks for letting me know I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition guy called me back to apologize for the mix-up and explained that he had called the wrong person but did tell me that they decided to offer the position to someone who was an employee referral. He also was surprised that I didn't know that I didn't get the job because he told me that he had asked the recruiter if he had called me to let me know and was told "yes".

What's so supremely aggravating is that I took a vacation day off of work so that Merkle could fulfill their strange requirement of having 2 candidates come in - when apparently, I wasn't even a contender. I have half a mind to send them a bill for my wasted vacation day - interviewing for a position I was never going to get (and putting quite a few hours into my presentation) isn't exactly how I like to spend my time off.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the person who was selected was not put through the same interview process that I was - there wouldn't have been time for the 3rd phone interview that I was subjected to. If I wanted to raise sand, I could throw out the discrimination card and considering that I interviewed for an HR-related position, I would have hoped they would have known better.

Overall, for a company with "no rules", they have a lot of rules that really don't make sense and probably waste a lot of people's time. I'm not a fan of working in a completely inefficient (and dishonest) work environment so maybe this isn't the place for me. I just wanted to bring my dog to work with me.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that I hadn't been asked before so don't expect anything too "out there". The toughest part of the interview process was the presentation. While it is informal, the audience will stop to ask questions along the way.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in April 2011.

Initial communication was through my school's career services department where I saw the posting and I applied. I was called for a phone interview, about a month later was invited for another round of interviews and office tour. Two weeks past and I received a call and offer letter, had 2/3 days to decide.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather fight a horse-sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?   Answer Question

Marketing/Account Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in March 2011.

1 phone interview with recruiter, followed by another 20 minute phone interview by the local team member a week or so later. went in for a 2 on 1 interview that lasted about an hour and went very well, as I was very qualified for the position and the team seem interested as well, including showing me around the office. they said i would hear something back soon either from them or the recruiter through either email or a phone call. i followed up 2 weeks later after not hearing anything and was told they had not made a decision yet, which still looks to be the case at this point since i've seen the job posted on the company website recently. i was a little concerned when compensation for the job seemed to vary greatly based on what i heard from the recruiter and the actual job posting on the website. there was about a $20,000 per year discrepancy between the two.

it seemed like a fun place to work with a diverse team in a laid back environment. i would have been excited with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • what is your experience with a.p.i.'s?   View Answer