Merkle

Relevance Date Difficulty

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in March 2008.

Interview Details – Be prepared to apply and interview over a period of about 6 weeks.

Interview Question – Will you be okay working day in/day out only working on email?   View Answer

Lead Marketing Analyst Interview

Lead Marketing Analyst
Columbia, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Merkle in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very professional process and very very organised interviews. I was amazed to see everybody in the Panel that interviewed me was there at the Presentation and asking questions very keenly. It was very interactive session

Interview Question – analytical   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty decent offer and negotiation was also considered and accepted to a certain level

Content Strategist Interview

Content Strategist
Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Merkle in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very fast interview process. I heard from them a few days after sending my resume, interviewed the following day by phone, and had on-site interviews a few days later, and by the end of that week, they called with an offer.

Interview Question – No unusual questions. Interviewed with 6 different people, and each one mainly wanted to find out if I'd be a "fit" for the company. I didn't feel like any of them tried to stump me with difficult questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Columbia, MD

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in December 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a HR phone screen and 3 phone interviews with the team. Then they brought you on an on-site interview, which comprises of a project review (45 mins), 5 1:1 interviews and a SAS/SQL test.

Interview Question – Very technical questions and deep dive into some projects you've done. Be well prepared!   View Answer

Statistical Analyst Interview

Statistical Analyst
Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Merkle in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to his position via their website. Two weeks later I received a call from HR to arrange a telephonic interview. I was expecting the interview for Statistical/Marketing analyst position. But they interviewed me for a SAS programmer position. The HR rescheduled the interview for statistical analyst position. HR was very prompt in email communication.

Interview Question – Explain how marketing campaigns are designed and executed? Suppose you are given a 5k budget and want to launch a marketing campaign, how would you do it? Assume the usual response rate is 10%.   Answer Question

Optimization Specialist Interview

Optimization Specialist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle in October 2011.

Interview Details – how do you see your weakness

Interview Question – what is your great power?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – time management and multiple work

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
Columbia, MD

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was a phone screen with a head hunter, 2 phone screens, a 430 minute presentation of a project that I had done, with time for questions, and 6 face to face interviews (one of which was lunch). I thought that this was a great way to interview because it was all completed in one day (with the exception of the phone screens). It gave me a chance to get to meet several people and get a real feeling for the company, in addition to letting them get to know me. Although it is a grueling interview process, I felt that it was efficient and fair. I have suggested doing it at my own company.

Interview Question – In my interview, I wasn't asked any difficult or unusual questions.   Answer Question

Benefits Analyst Interview

Benefits Analyst
Columbia, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle in June 2011.

Interview Details – I'm not quite sure why this place is a "Best Place to Work".

I received a call from an internal recruiter who had found my resume online. He interviewed me on the phone for about 30 mins and gave a good explanation about the company and the position. He then recommended that I interview (on the phone again) with the person to whom I would report. I spoke with her for about 30 mins as well. Several days later, the recruiter called me back to let me know that I had made it to the final round of interviews and to come in for a day of interviews with about 5 or 6 people and then give a 20-45 minute presentation about a project I led.

For the day of interviews, they bought me lunch but there was no indication that that was going to happen - and I gave my presentation in the afternoon to everyone who I had met with earlier. When I got home after the interviews, I realized that I hadn't heard when I might hear something again so I sent an email to find out about the rest of the interview process - which nobody had bothered to explain. I received an email back that they wanted to speak with me further over the phone so we scheduled some time for later in the week.

At this point, I thought I had actually gotten the job - they would have had time to discuss my interview after I left and if I was not going to get the job, why would they need to schedule an appointment for that? Unfortunately, the next time we spoke, I was asked even more interview questions and then finally given a rundown of the interview process. Merkle apparently requires that they bring in at least 2 candidates for the group presentation interviews and I was the first (going first is always a huge negative - they never remember you when decision time comes). The decision is also based on a group vote, which is absurd. There were people who interviewed me who never would have worked with the person in this position and were in a different department entirely - so what in the world are they basing their decision on?

Two weeks after that 3rd phone interview, I got the screwiest voicemail from the Director of Talent Acquisition saying that my appointment the next day was canceled because the position had been filled. First, I didn't have an appointment. Second, thanks for letting me know I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition guy called me back to apologize for the mix-up and explained that he had called the wrong person but did tell me that they decided to offer the position to someone who was an employee referral. He also was surprised that I didn't know that I didn't get the job because he told me that he had asked the recruiter if he had called me to let me know and was told "yes".

What's so supremely aggravating is that I took a vacation day off of work so that Merkle could fulfill their strange requirement of having 2 candidates come in - when apparently, I wasn't even a contender. I have half a mind to send them a bill for my wasted vacation day - interviewing for a position I was never going to get (and putting quite a few hours into my presentation) isn't exactly how I like to spend my time off.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the person who was selected was not put through the same interview process that I was - there wouldn't have been time for the 3rd phone interview that I was subjected to. If I wanted to raise sand, I could throw out the discrimination card and considering that I interviewed for an HR-related position, I would have hoped they would have known better.

Overall, for a company with "no rules", they have a lot of rules that really don't make sense and probably waste a lot of people's time. I'm not a fan of working in a completely inefficient (and dishonest) work environment so maybe this isn't the place for me. I just wanted to bring my dog to work with me.

Interview Question – There weren't any questions that I hadn't been asked before so don't expect anything too "out there". The toughest part of the interview process was the presentation. While it is informal, the audience will stop to ask questions along the way.   Answer Question

Manager, Retail Analytics Interview

Manager, Retail Analytics
Columbia, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in September 2010.

Interview Details – Spoke with a recruiter for 30 minutes. 2 days later I had a 1-hour phone interview with the hiring director. 10 days later I interviewed with 6 people in their Maryland office (1 VP, 2 directors and 3 managers). 4 of the 6 were in-person, 1-on-1 interviews. The other 2 were Skype interviews with people calling in from outside offices. After I spoke with all 6 people, I gave a 30-minute presentation followed by 15 minutes of Q&A.

Interview Question – How would you construct an algorithm to determine who, among a database of customers, should receive one of two different emails?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – In a word: Horrible. I interview for a Manager role, and a week after my onsite interview I received a verbal offer for Manager. 2 days later, they called back to say they were demoting the title to Lead Analyst but that the responsibilities and compensation would be the same. A week later, still no offer letter, and they called to say they were reducing the salary. Once the offer letter finally arrived, it listed less vacation than I was verbally offered, but they would not change it. It was a classic case of bait and switch. The hiring director tried to assure me that it was no big deal, noting that Merkle changed his title from Sr. Director to Director in the exact same manner. Seems like a pretty bad pattern to me.

Marketing/Account Management Interview

Marketing/Account Management
Denver, CO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in March 2011.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with recruiter, followed by another 20 minute phone interview by the local team member a week or so later. went in for a 2 on 1 interview that lasted about an hour and went very well, as I was very qualified for the position and the team seem interested as well, including showing me around the office. they said i would hear something back soon either from them or the recruiter through either email or a phone call. i followed up 2 weeks later after not hearing anything and was told they had not made a decision yet, which still looks to be the case at this point since i've seen the job posted on the company website recently. i was a little concerned when compensation for the job seemed to vary greatly based on what i heard from the recruiter and the actual job posting on the website. there was about a $20,000 per year discrepancy between the two.

it seemed like a fun place to work with a diverse team in a laid back environment. i would have been excited with an offer.

Interview Question – what is your experience with a.p.i.'s?   View Answer