Merkle Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015

3.3

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process was a phone screen with a head hunter, 2 phone screens, a 430 minute presentation of a project that I had done, with time for questions, and 6 face to face interviews (one of which was lunch). I thought that this was a great way to interview because it was all completed in one day (with the exception of the phone screens). It gave me a chance to get to meet several people and get a real feeling for the company, in addition to letting them get to know me. Although it is a grueling interview process, I felt that it was efficient and fair. I have suggested doing it at my own company.

Interview Questions

• In my interview, I wasn't asked any difficult or unusual questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Retail Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in September 2010.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter for 30 minutes. 2 days later I had a 1-hour phone interview with the hiring director. 10 days later I interviewed with 6 people in their Maryland office (1 VP, 2 directors and 3 managers). 4 of the 6 were in-person, 1-on-1 interviews. The other 2 were Skype interviews with people calling in from outside offices. After I spoke with all 6 people, I gave a 30-minute presentation followed by 15 minutes of Q&A.

Interview Questions

• How would you construct an algorithm to determine who, among a database of customers, should receive one of two different emails?   1 Answer

Negotiation

In a word: Horrible. I interview for a Manager role, and a week after my onsite interview I received a verbal offer for Manager. 2 days later, they called back to say they were demoting the title to Lead Analyst but that the responsibilities and compensation would be the same. A week later, still no offer letter, and they called to say they were reducing the salary. Once the offer letter finally arrived, it listed less vacation than I was verbally offered, but they would not change it. It was a classic case of bait and switch. The hiring director tried to assure me that it was no big deal, noting that Merkle changed his title from Sr. Director to Director in the exact same manner. Seems like a pretty bad pattern to me.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Denver, CO) in August 2010.

Interview

Merkle does tw phone screens and then a full day onsite interview. it is a stringent process but ensures both fit for skills and culture. Be prepared for all types of questions and interviewing with lots of levels of individuals (both peer and supervisor). Merkle hires very limited entry level and it is best if you know someone within the organization to clear a path for you.

Interview Questions

• You will have to give a presentation   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in May 2010.

Interview

Company puts employees thru grueling day of gang interviews in company (interviewed by 6-8 different people) and then you get the "privilege" of presenting to this group to see how you present under pressure

Interview Questions

• not any question but rather then group presentation at end of a long day of interviews that proves challenging   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty simple and straightforward process. Offer was good to begin with so negotiations were over minor things

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merkle (Baltimore, MD) in November 2009.

Interview

Phone interview followed by flying out to Maryland for interview process. 5-6 different interviewers who asked several questions about different marketing scenarios. They ask you do a presentation in front of the entire interview team.

Interview Questions

• You are able to send x number of direct mail catalogs. How would you choose who to send them to?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in October 2009.

Interview

I had two phone screens, 5 one-one interviews on site, a SAS/SQL test and a presentation. I was refrerred to Merkle through a recruiter.

Overall the experience was positive. The company has great environment, everybody is very pleasant.

I got a great offer within 5 days of my on-site interviews, and will be joining soon.

The only thing that is really bad about the offer is the benefits..they only have 9 vacation days and the health insurance is VERY expensive!!

Interview Questions

• A Sas question in the test about merging two datasets   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the salary and the experience was very positive, I am very satisfied about the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle in October 2009.

Interview

The interview was very technical both on the phone and one and one. General experience questions, then specific how tos. The interview took about 40 minutes on phone and about the same in person. There was no hands on, but similar to the phone. There were about 15 - 20 questions and it was more conversational than anything else. Just explain your responsibilities. I got positive feedback from the interviewer immediately, so i knew I got the job

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in June 2009.

Interview

A couple phone screens and than an all day on site series of 7 interviews and a 45 minute presentation...levels running from directors to SVP. Questions ranged from perceptions of previous bosses to problem solving...how would you handle certain analytic situations

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merkle in May 2009.

Interview

The interview was a discovery phone interview of my business development capabilities. I was asked to provide a list of targets that I would want to pursue. The interview was with the financial services business development executive and resulted in a second phone interview with the data services business development executive. We discussed my new business successes The recommendation coming out of the second phone interview was a recommendation to the financial services business development executive for a deep dive on my new business development approach. The recruiter contacted me and said that they were looking at an internal candidate for the position.

Interview Questions

• Please describe 2-3 new business initiatives that you have closed in your most recent career position?   1 Answer

Senior Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in March 2008.

Interview

2 phone interview, 1 onsite interview including 5-6 1:1 interview, 45mins SAS skill test, 45mins presentation