Merrill Lynch

Updated Oct 29, 2014
Updated Oct 29, 2014

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

You need to have a college degree and well connected with others, so you can develop connections and get clients. We were hired from another firm and already had an established book of business to bring. So they wine and dinned us to move.

Interview Questions
  • They will ask you very personal questions about your financial history   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions
    Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

Financial Advisor Interview

It was a three step process including a math exam and three in person interviews. The last step is a panel style interveiw with a lot of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about your best and worst qualities. Also, a current economic outloook.   Answer Question
    Very open.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very untraditional, its a buddy system..

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can do what I do as an advisor?   View Answer
    Negotiable only if you are living in the big cities with a lot of money.. essentially they are thinking about how you can make them the money back at some point during your career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2013.

Very lengthy, but friendly and easy.

I'm a good salesman.

Financial Advisor Interview

Online test - two in person interviews, very easy to understand motivations

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

First step was the FIAT exam, their simple math and economics test. Next was their personality exam. Then I had 2 phone interviews with a national HR rep and then a local HR rep. Then I needed to fill out some complaince forms. I passed all those and my actual face to face interviews started. First was with their training VP. He said he would be recommending me to go on with the interview process and meet the branch manager. I met the branch manager a month later. He informed me that there was only 1 position available. I rec'd a letter from BOA HR stating that they would be going with another candidate. I am in the process of asking their HR if I can be considered for another office in my area since I was able to get to the last interview in their interview process.

Interview Questions
    • In your prior job that was of the same type of position, what do you feel you could have done to correct any mistakes and get more sales   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I applied through contact and was then given a person's email address to contact. I then had to take two online test the first was a math/ econ exam and the second one was a behavioral exam. After this I had a phone interview then an in person interview. This was all well and good but it seemed like there was no interest at the in person interview which was annoying because I wasn't sure why I was there. They seemed to have no interest because I was right out of college and had no sales experience.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were really difficult but they were just assessing my personality. It was very strange and there seemed to be no interest from the beginning due to the fact that I had no sales experience. Wasn't really sure why they let it get that far in the first place if that was the case.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I interned with ML during my senior year of college. That led to a job offer by the end of the internship. In the interview they ask you to put together a business plan.

No negotiating

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2012.

I had a phone interview as the first round interview. It went very bad. The first question i got was that do i have Series 7 license. The second question , i got was that am i an international student. Afterwards they asked me two to 3 basic questions about my resume.