Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014

3.1

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

You need to have a college degree and well connected with others, so you can develop connections and get clients. We were hired from another firm and already had an established book of business to bring. So they wine and dinned us to move.

Interview Questions
  • They will ask you very personal questions about your financial history   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions
    Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2013.

Very lengthy, but friendly and easy.

I'm a good salesman.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2012.

Apply, screening call, screening test, manager interview and panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to be successful at this career.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

It was a three step process including a math exam and three in person interviews. The last step is a panel style interveiw with a lot of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about your best and worst qualities. Also, a current economic outloook.   Answer Question
    Very open.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very untraditional, its a buddy system..

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can do what I do as an advisor?   View Answer
    Negotiable only if you are living in the big cities with a lot of money.. essentially they are thinking about how you can make them the money back at some point during your career.

Financial Advisor Interview

Online test - two in person interviews, very easy to understand motivations

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2012.

I had a phone interview as the first round interview. It went very bad. The first question i got was that do i have Series 7 license. The second question , i got was that am i an international student. Afterwards they asked me two to 3 basic questions about my resume.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2012.

5 rounds
    Initial - Meet And Greet
    2nd - Math exam
    3rd - psychological exam
    4th - Panel Review
    5th - Final Interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Explain your natural market of clients.   View Answer
    It all depends if you are import a book of business. If you do not have a book you start off at the low end of the scale.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

First step was the FIAT exam, their simple math and economics test. Next was their personality exam. Then I had 2 phone interviews with a national HR rep and then a local HR rep. Then I needed to fill out some complaince forms. I passed all those and my actual face to face interviews started. First was with their training VP. He said he would be recommending me to go on with the interview process and meet the branch manager. I met the branch manager a month later. He informed me that there was only 1 position available. I rec'd a letter from BOA HR stating that they would be going with another candidate. I am in the process of asking their HR if I can be considered for another office in my area since I was able to get to the last interview in their interview process.

Interview Questions
    • In your prior job that was of the same type of position, what do you feel you could have done to correct any mistakes and get more sales   Answer Question

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!