Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jacksonville, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with three interviewers on the phone. They were all very nice. They only interviewed 4 candidates for one slot. I did not get an offer, but they called me back afterwards and told me I had a great interview and hope I apply to work for them in the future.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a little big about yourself
    2. How do you feel you contribute to a team?
    3. Do you like being a leader or follower better?
    4. What skill sets do you feel you offer?
    5. What differentiates you from the other candidates?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Typical Interview. Phone interview first, then was sent two internet based financial tests. The tests contained typical financial based questions with simple math. After passing the exam I was contacted by a Merrill Lynch Rep. to schedule an in person interview. I then met with the vice president who explained the job and asked typical interview questions. I was not impressed with the interview experience.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

You need to have a college degree and well connected with others, so you can develop connections and get clients. We were hired from another firm and already had an established book of business to bring. So they wine and dinned us to move.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you very personal questions about your financial history   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I was referred by someone and got a phone interview and then came to the office to meet with the supervisor of that location. They were very nice and showed me around and I immediately got introduced to everyone. They made sure the environment was inclusive since this was a new program.

Interview Questions

• How did you get out of a difficult problem? Describe how you overcame a challenge using creativity? Name 3 qualities about yourself that would make you a good candidate for this internship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to HR through a connection. Then HR set up a phone call with me a week or two later. The phone call was a conference with three people asking questions one after the other. After that I asked some questions then heard back within a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions, nothing too hard. Mostly giving examples of previous work experience or school related activities .   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

It was a three step process including a math exam and three in person interviews. The last step is a panel style interveiw with a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Asking about your best and worst qualities. Also, a current economic outloook.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very open.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Very untraditional, its a buddy system..

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you can do what I do as an advisor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiable only if you are living in the big cities with a lot of money.. essentially they are thinking about how you can make them the money back at some point during your career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Very lengthy, but friendly and easy.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with failure?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I'm a good salesman.

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Online test - two in person interviews, very easy to understand motivations