Merrill Lynch

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Question – How will you build your business?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very lengthy, but friendly and easy.

Interview Question – How do you deal with failure?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I'm a good salesman.

Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2012.

Interview Details – Apply, screening call, screening test, manager interview and panel interview.

Interview Question – How are you going to be successful at this career.   View Answer

Interviewed at Merrill Lynch

Interview Details – It was a three step process including a math exam and three in person interviews. The last step is a panel style interveiw with a lot of questions.

Interview Question – Asking about your best and worst qualities. Also, a current economic outloook.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very open.

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Very untraditional, its a buddy system..

Interview Question – Why do you think you can do what I do as an advisor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiable only if you are living in the big cities with a lot of money.. essentially they are thinking about how you can make them the money back at some point during your career.

Interviewed at Merrill Lynch

Interview Details – Online test - two in person interviews, very easy to understand motivations

Financial Advisor

I applied online - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview as the first round interview. It went very bad. The first question i got was that do i have Series 7 license. The second question , i got was that am i an international student. Afterwards they asked me two to 3 basic questions about my resume.

Interview Question – Do i have series 7 lisence   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2012.

Interview Details – 5 rounds
Initial - Meet And Greet
2nd - Math exam
3rd - psychological exam
4th - Panel Review
5th - Final Interview with hiring manager

Interview Question – Explain your natural market of clients.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It all depends if you are import a book of business. If you do not have a book you start off at the low end of the scale.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – First step was the FIAT exam, their simple math and economics test. Next was their personality exam. Then I had 2 phone interviews with a national HR rep and then a local HR rep. Then I needed to fill out some complaince forms. I passed all those and my actual face to face interviews started. First was with their training VP. He said he would be recommending me to go on with the interview process and meet the branch manager. I met the branch manager a month later. He informed me that there was only 1 position available. I rec'd a letter from BOA HR stating that they would be going with another candidate. I am in the process of asking their HR if I can be considered for another office in my area since I was able to get to the last interview in their interview process.

Interview Question – In your prior job that was of the same type of position, what do you feel you could have done to correct any mistakes and get more sales   Answer Question

Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – I applied through contact and was then given a person's email address to contact. I then had to take two online test the first was a math/ econ exam and the second one was a behavioral exam. After this I had a phone interview then an in person interview. This was all well and good but it seemed like there was no interest at the in person interview which was annoying because I wasn't sure why I was there. They seemed to have no interest because I was right out of college and had no sales experience.

Interview Question – None of the questions were really difficult but they were just assessing my personality. It was very strange and there seemed to be no interest from the beginning due to the fact that I had no sales experience. Wasn't really sure why they let it get that far in the first place if that was the case.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Merrill Lynch

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Merrill Lynch employees and interview candidates.