Merrill Lynch

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2013.

The interview process was pretty standard. Very professional. First I went through a phone screening and then I had to interview another FA and also the Branch Manager. Questions were not too hard, they were interested in full life experience, more than just my finance knowledge. I could have been more prepared on some of the more quantitative questions, but overall had a positive experience with the process.

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellesley, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellesley, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2012.

Hiring process was simple and straight forward. I was contacted by a recruiter by email asking me if i am interested in financial advior's position. I responded the email and I was given an opportunity to meet the branch director. After two weeks I received a call from branch director assistant asking me to come for an interview. I went to see the branch director and after speaking with him for five minutes i was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • As I indicated above the interview process was simple and straight forward.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2012.

I had a phone interview as the first round interview. It went very bad. The first question i got was that do i have Series 7 license. The second question , i got was that am i an international student. Afterwards they asked me two to 3 basic questions about my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2012.

Apply, screening call, screening test, manager interview and panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to be successful at this career.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in February 2012.

The interviewers include Vice Presidents, Managing Directors, etc... They know exactly the type of person they want to hire. If you are right for the job, your interview will go smoothly....if you are not a good fit, you will know very quickly. Candidates who pass the initial screening process must write a business plan. The final interview requires candidates to present the business plan to a panel of interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to write a realistic business plan based on location, experience, background etc.   Answer Question
    Salary depends on experience level. Candidates with strong industry experience can negotiate a higher salary than candidates fresh out of college.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2012.

5 rounds
    Initial - Meet And Greet
    2nd - Math exam
    3rd - psychological exam
    4th - Panel Review
    5th - Final Interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Explain your natural market of clients.   View Answer
    It all depends if you are import a book of business. If you do not have a book you start off at the low end of the scale.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2011.

The first step was to interview with the Associate Director and Director. Their questions were mostly about character and very little about financial expertise. What school activities you were involved in, charities... Then you will be asked to take a math and economics test. You should study for these. If all goes well, you will be asked to come up with a business plan and you will discuss it on an interview with a couple of senior FA's. If they like you, you will defend your business plan with a team of managers from different branches.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your "low hanging fruit". The people close to you who you can immediately get as clients.   Answer Question
    They have three tiers.1) Lower base-higher commission-lower hurdles 2) higher base- lower commission-higher hurdles 3) highest base-lowest commission-highest hurdles.

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2011.

Interview seemed a bit disorganized and drawn out unnecessarily over multiple days. It seemed people were to busy to care about new hires so they only had one admin dealing with the entire process until I finally had my interview with a hiring manager. After going through the entire process, assessment tests, skills tests and primary interview, I hit a brick wall when the manager broke it to me that my poor credit was the reason we can't even continue talking about the job. A bit frustrating that this issue didn't come up sooner.

Interview Questions
    • If we hire you, how confident are you that you can bring us high-net worth clients within your first few months of hire?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2010.

If you fail any of the tests you are declined the opportunity to continue interviewing.

The Personality test is a beating in a half. Its ridiculous and asks such meaningless questions over and over.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you will get out and get infront of people.   View Answer
    fair-- $49,999 salary b/c over 50k you are in a new ranking of sales needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2010.

My process is a bit different due to the fact that I am already fully licensed. So for others, it may be longer.

Interview Questions
    • How muct assets under management do you have?   View Answer
    • Do you know the good, the bad, and he ugly of this business? (He was basically asked me if I knew what I was getting into).   View Answer
    I am still in the process, but I have an idea of what they may offer. If it falls within that range I'll be happy.