Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

I interned with ML during my senior year of college. That led to a job offer by the end of the internship. In the interview they ask you to put together a business plan.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Very professional. First I went through a phone screening and then I had to interview another FA and also the Branch Manager. Questions were not too hard, they were interested in full life experience, more than just my finance knowledge. I could have been more prepared on some of the more quantitative questions, but overall had a positive experience with the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellesley, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Wellesley, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was simple and straight forward. I was contacted by a recruiter by email asking me if i am interested in financial advior's position. I responded the email and I was given an opportunity to meet the branch director. After two weeks I received a call from branch director assistant asking me to come for an interview. I went to see the branch director and after speaking with him for five minutes i was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• As I indicated above the interview process was simple and straight forward.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview as the first round interview. It went very bad. The first question i got was that do i have Series 7 license. The second question , i got was that am i an international student. Afterwards they asked me two to 3 basic questions about my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Atlanta, GA) in June 2012.

Interview

If you do not normally / currently mingle with high net worth friends & family, do not even bother with this company. The performance metrics cannot be met (hence 60-70% turnover in PMD program) unless you consistently rub elbows with folks who have $250K+ who are willing to let Merrill manage it for them.

Interview Questions

• How many wealthy people do you know & what is your plan to bring them to Merrill?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Memphis, TN) in May 2012.

Interview

Apply, screening call, screening test, manager interview and panel interview.

Interview Questions

• How are you going to be successful at this career.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

The interviewers include Vice Presidents, Managing Directors, etc... They know exactly the type of person they want to hire. If you are right for the job, your interview will go smoothly....if you are not a good fit, you will know very quickly. Candidates who pass the initial screening process must write a business plan. The final interview requires candidates to present the business plan to a panel of interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Asked to write a realistic business plan based on location, experience, background etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary depends on experience level. Candidates with strong industry experience can negotiate a higher salary than candidates fresh out of college.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2012.

Interview

5 rounds
    Initial - Meet And Greet
    2nd - Math exam
    3rd - psychological exam
    4th - Panel Review
    5th - Final Interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Explain your natural market of clients.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It all depends if you are import a book of business. If you do not have a book you start off at the low end of the scale.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2011.

Interview

The first step was to interview with the Associate Director and Director. Their questions were mostly about character and very little about financial expertise. What school activities you were involved in, charities... Then you will be asked to take a math and economics test. You should study for these. If all goes well, you will be asked to come up with a business plan and you will discuss it on an interview with a couple of senior FA's. If they like you, you will defend your business plan with a team of managers from different branches.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your "low hanging fruit". The people close to you who you can immediately get as clients.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have three tiers.1) Lower base-higher commission-lower hurdles 2) higher base- lower commission-higher hurdles 3) highest base-lowest commission-highest hurdles.

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Vienna, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview seemed a bit disorganized and drawn out unnecessarily over multiple days. It seemed people were to busy to care about new hires so they only had one admin dealing with the entire process until I finally had my interview with a hiring manager. After going through the entire process, assessment tests, skills tests and primary interview, I hit a brick wall when the manager broke it to me that my poor credit was the reason we can't even continue talking about the job. A bit frustrating that this issue didn't come up sooner.

Interview Questions

• If we hire you, how confident are you that you can bring us high-net worth clients within your first few months of hire?   Answer Question