Merrill Lynch

Updated Oct 27, 2014

3.1

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The process began with me contacting and sending my resume to the branch manager. From there he forwarded my information to an area recruiter. My process with the recruiter began with creating an applicant profile and taking the FIAT. The FIAT consisted of algebraic questions, finance/econ questions, and some logic exercises. A day or two later the recruiter informed me that I passed the FIAT and we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions related to my current work experience, education, reasons for applying, and plan for success as a FA. Following that interview the recruiter had me fill out disclosure forms and give consent to perform additional screening. I was then turned over to the local branch manager to schedule an interview. A meeting was scheduled and I met with the manager some days later for the high achiever interview. This interview consisted of the common pleasantries and questions of your standard interview. My resume was scrutinized as well as me selling myself for the position. It seemed to go well and I was further informed of how the process would unfold in the next stages. No directions or expectations were given after this interview. I waited for a couple of weeks without any communication and was informed by email that I was no longer being considered for the position. It was disappointing as the process seemed to go well but ultimately ended. The few people that I interacted with during the process were professional and helpful. My feeling is that I didn't do a convincing job of answering questions during the interview and that I lacked the sales and financial experience that they look for.

Interview Questions
  • What are some examples of your experience as a leader?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

took around 2 months, but I wasn't in a rush, took a practice fiat exam and had to pass a background check before actually being able to move past the first round. Currently awaiting the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2014.

Still in the interview process, its a five step process from taking a quiz to talking to the managers. They are very detailed and they are.looking for sales experience most especially and the ability to bring in high net worth clients, make sure you have that ability, they give you ample time to study and prepare for the licensing exams.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Applied online. Required FIAT examination to assess how you may score on your Series 7 & 63. Passed, took about a week for the recruiter to set up phone interview.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I passed the phone screen with flying colors and am STILL waiting for the office to call me in for an interview. It's been 7 weeks. They're allegedly "working through a backlog".

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I had one interview, it was fairly casual and included questions about my business prospecting skills, employment and network. it was clear they were trying to determine whether I had a large number of prospects or whether I knew those who had money.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Sent my resume to a friend who works at the company. Received an e-mail from the recruiter for the position and two other e-mails containing the FIAT test and personality assessment. Passed both tests and currently have a scheduled phone interview scheduled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I began the process when a recruiter found my resume on Monster. He put me in touch with the local manager.

The interview process was very streamlined. I didn't know it until later but the first interview was really the only one. I interviewed with the branch manager and once he moved me to the next level it was fairly clear I had to royally screw something up to not get a formal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Where else are you looking? (It didn't seem tough at the time but the feedback from the recruiter made it clear)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2012.

Two separate interviews with two different people. They want to know who you know and how much money they have and how you plan to talk them into doing business with you and the firm. It is not about your money management skills they want to know about, but your marketing and sales skills and strategy.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can talk Dr. So and So into moving his $5 million account with you, and how will you talk him into referrals as soon as possible?   Answer Question
    no negotiation unless you have assets ready to come over

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2012.

Initial application, phone interview, FIAT test is as far as I got