Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Westlake Village, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Two separate interviews with two different people. They want to know who you know and how much money they have and how you plan to talk them into doing business with you and the firm. It is not about your money management skills they want to know about, but your marketing and sales skills and strategy.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you can talk Dr. So and So into moving his $5 million account with you, and how will you talk him into referrals as soon as possible?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation unless you have assets ready to come over

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2012.

Interview

Initial application, phone interview, FIAT test is as far as I got

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied online and was called a few days later by a recruiter. Discussed previous work history and my interest in the training program. Was invited via email to a career night at ML's offices. Presentation by senior FAs then branch director. Was emailed a couple days later with link for financial aptitude test.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Selective hiring process, after a group interview and once you pass a pretty rudimentary economics and quantatative test you sit down with the hriring manager. The selection process is flawed and somewhat biased, I was the only minority in the group interview.

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Northbrook, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

It is not very difficult to get a foot in the door here, and once you do, it seems as though you have already won after the first interview where they pump your tires and allow you to boast your qualifications. The subsequent interviews they grill you and basically try to steal your whole network in which keeping a tight mouth results in them discouraging you from the position. People will succeed, but they may not meet their "hurdles." This would result in a loss of of a lot of contacts.

Interview Questions

• How are you any different from someone else who comes in here with the same qualities?   1 Answer

I did not forsee myself reaching the hurdles even though I was confident as a person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2012.

Interview

It started with a lengthy application process. After a few days, I was contacted by a recruiter via email, and had to pass a skills assessment before I could proceed. The test was 55 questions, roughly 30 were math (decimals, fractions, stock splits and basic algebra), and the rest were economics, accounting and finance related. I took the test online. After that, the recruiter contacted me via telephone and pre-screened me. I was also sent paperwork for a lengthy background check. At this time, I had to write up a business plan that sold them on how I could be successful at Merrill Lynch. They won't hold your hand for this process and it's ultimately up to you to make an attractive plan. I spoke with the recruiter one more time and then went into the branch for a meeting with the manager. This was a very difficult interview. Keep in mind, the guy you're sitting across from has been in the industry and knows what it takes to succeed. I feel I answered all of the questions pretty well, but he did ask me about the history of the company, and I didn't provide good answers (dumb oversight, on my part. Wikipedia would have made my interview almost perfect). He did not offer me a job on the spot, and no panel interview was scheduled, so I thought I was finished. He called me later in the day and offered me the position. My one piece of advice is to realize that not all branches go through the same process. While there are a few guarenteed steps, it is ultimately up to the branch how they hire.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had a number in mind, and the offer exceeded it. There is also amazing bonus opportunities , so don't worry about your salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Dallas, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

The process consisted of an initial phone interview for screening purposes followed by a 1 on 1 meeting with the local PMD coach at the downtown office. Following this I reached out and tried to build relationships in the office that could vouch for me during the review period. I had to take an online assessment that consisted of sales and capital markets related questions. Lastly, I had to present my business plan to a panel of seasoned veterans in the business. I heard the following week and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from the other candidates we are considering at this time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, and they were very helpful in the process. Come with reasons that you feel you bring more value to the table, and prepare literature that outlines your suggestions for increase or other requests.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Austin, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

After applying online for the position a recruiter emailed me to set up an initial test time. The test was the FIAT like everyone else has mentioned on this sight. Once I passed the FIAT, I was invited to take the personality test online. The admin assistant let me know immediately that I passed and then invited me to a career night. This phase was more for the people who knew nothing about Merrill but was a good pep rally for those who are familiar with Merrill. I had one formal interview with the director and then a casual one to make the offer. Overall I like the culture of the company. Don't consider if you are not ready to work harder than you ever have in your life. But, if you do, be prepared to make more money that you ever have in your life.

Interview Questions

• What is something I should have asked but didn't? Then Answer that question.   Answer Question
    • Why should I chose you given your background? I'm on the ledge, talk me off.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The director gave me a chance to negotiate, however, I like the lower goals so I chose to leave the offer as it stood. You can always make more money for more production, however, you can't lower your goals if you are not meeting them. Bonuses are also easier to reach hence more money. Think about it!

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2011.

Interview

I am lucky that my fiance's cousin is the Regional Director of ML. So far i have not interviewed face to face, but have had a phone interview with the program director and as well taken the FIAT test. The test was surprisingly hard, but I did pass it. If you are about to take it, make sure to brush up on long division, word problems, and decimals by hand. There are no calcs allowed. I found out I passed it right after the test was completed (though they said sometimes they don't get results for up to a week). I am about to take the personality test here in a few hours. I've been told that after I pass it, I will be interviewed 1 on 1.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

First interview was very straight forward. The interviewer brought my youth a lot (i'm 22) and said that it is sometimes difficult for young people to break into the field. He asked me how I would go about getting clients and some other general personality questions. Overall I felt it went well. He told me to take the financial aptitude test which i was tripping out about but ended up being very easy. You only need to pass 17 of 30 questions in two hours. I finished in a little over an hour. Know basic math, ROI, maybe some basic inflation principles and you're golden.