Merrill Lynch Financial Analyst Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2014

3.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Took 4 weeks to contact me after submitting my resume; another 4 weeks to get the offer from Human Resources.

Interview Questions
  • Talk about past experiences and your own performance on the stock market.   Answer Question

Final offer was substantially lower pay than first mentioned.

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I was a recently-decided econ major (and sophomore at the time) and was looking into potential career fields. I searched my school's career website and found this internship opportunity, which I applied for (sent a resume and cover letter). I did not expect to even get an interview, but was pleasantly surprised when I did. The interview was held on campus and two analysts from Merrill Lynch who had previously attended the college interviewed me. If I remember correctly, they asked me to walk them through the resume, and asked questions typical of a behavioral interview (Why did you choose your college?, what are your strengths/weaknesses?, why do you want this opportunity?, etc.). A random thing that stuck in my mind was that they both seemed very excited when I mentioned I work best with mentors (I was very confused as to why they both immediately wrote that in their notes...seems like that could've been important in retrospect).

I left the room feeling very disappointed in my interview and looking back at every opportunity where I thought I should've said things differently, and gave up on the possibility of getting a second-round interview.

Then, during spring break, I get a call saying I was invited to second-round interviews in their LA office the next week. Basically I arrived at their LA Office and parked (apparently they have parking in their own building that you can get refunded for, but I didn't know at the time, so ask them about where to park if you get to that point in the interview). I got to the building and went up to a fairly high floor and met with one of the people who had previously interviewed me and was led to an office room that would be my personal area for the day and was told there was breakfast food in a room and was given a schedule of my interviews for the day (along with details about each interviewer's job at the company). I had about 7 interviews with about 12 people total (some of the interviews were done with two interviewers at a time), and it was the most diverse range of interviews i could ever imagine. Some were normal, others stressful (they said things like "i don't believe you. what makes you any better than any of these other people?). One person didn't have any questions for me and only asked if I had questions. Someone blatantly said "I don't care about your academics. what do you do for fun?" while we ate lunch together (his job in the firm involved working with clients and he was a big people person). Overall, the process took about 5 or 6 hours and involved lots of interviewing and interacting with various office members in the kitchen area since breakfast and lunch were provided.

I left the final interview feeling pretty confident, but I also went into it fairly certain I had a different offer lined up from the previous week (which made me significantly less stressed throughout the interview process).

I received a job offer from the head guy of the team within the next day or so over phone. I ended up declining, however, because I had a better-paying, more flexible opportunity (where I defined the internship versus being told explicitly what to do), closer to home.

Overall, I'd say have fun, be enthusiastic and demonstrate that you are willing to work harder than anyone else. Also know that if you were picked to interview, they know you are qualified to do the job and you just need to show that you can be a good fit and a person they would like to have around!

Also, this was the first time they were offering the summer internship opporutnity for sophomore (and I think they were also looking for female candidates (based on an article about women at Merrill Lynch on the front of their website page). Not sure if that played an active role in their decision to hire me or not)

Interview Questions
    • Not necessary a question, but the interviewer noticed I studied Spanish and started speaking to me in Spanish.   View Answer

Had a better offer elsewhere

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!