Merrill Lynch Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2014

3.5

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Interviewer was very serious. Asked a lot of good questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2011.

I applied online fall of last year and was just about to give up on this. Then one day late January, I got a phone call asking if I was still interested. I said yes and scheduled a first round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult project you worked on and how did you go about it resolving it   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you worked in a group, what was your role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2011.

I applied through a contact and was pushed through quickly. I was excited at the position as I had just graduated from college. I had to take a math test prior to the interview and the test involved math (decimals) with no calculator. The test also had economics questions in it. There were also a few formula questions. The test was challenging if you are bad at math.

The interview was situational. Do not say you are a team player they do not like that because that is why I wasn't offered a job. They want you to be about yourself and not worry about anyone else. SELL SELL SELL.

They also asked a question about a man that came called in and was trying to sell all of his stocks etc. Then they asked what advice would I give him. There wasn't much background and unfortunately, I guess i asked too many questions. Was the man married? Children? I suggest that you just answer the question.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if someone called in and was trying to sell all of his stocks.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2008.

Initial interview took place on my college campus and lasted 30 minutes. I was then invited to join 3 executives, 3 financial analyst and 5 other interviewees for dinner at a restaurant downtown. The next morning I had to attend on-site interviews at Merrill. They consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews and one panel interview. I had to come back one more time to interview with 2 more people that did not have a chance to meet me. Two weeks later I received a call that I got the job. Phewwwww.

Interview Questions
    • How many oranges do you think are consumed in the US over a period of one year.   Answer Question
    • How many miles do you think Detroit is from LA.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because it was my first job out of college and I received an offer heigher than I expected. I should have though. I would have asked for a few thousand more if I could do it again. All your raises and future salaries will be given in percentage increases. So the heigher your first job out of college the heigher will be all the subsequent raises.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2013.

7 interviews ranging from Analyst to MD. Discussed motivation, prior deals and interesting investments. CF knowledge tested through a number of theoretical and practical case studies. A number of market sizing / brainteasers were also asked. Prior experience was thoroughly questioned. This included all aspects of financial analyses through professional experience but also wrt academic prior knowledge.

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!