Merrill Lynch Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.3

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Quick and easy, basically all about fit. Just asked me about my background, met the team and learned what they do. The annoying thing is that the onboarding process takes a couple of weeks so the start wasn't immediate. The pay as an intern comes out of the team's pocket so they have to like you.

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2010.

Through mutual family friend I was connected with a senior advisor at ML. I held one interview with this individual to discuss their goals for my internship, my interests, my knowledge of personal finance and the industry in general, and my studies.

Interview Questions
    • Describing my knowledge of the financial industry and my understanding of the recession that our economy was going through at the time (this was during the worst of the recession).   Answer Question
    I was happy with the offer for the internship. My supervisor was very flexible about vacation/personal time and hours.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I applied through the school portal and was contacted to set up an interview within a week. I had a group interview where they asked mainly behavioral questions (nothing unexpected). The process was very fast, and they got back to me within a week after the interview--did not receive an offer, but the interview process was simple and fast.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

On-campus interview with 3 traders.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation (only an internship)

Intern Interview

Emailed resume, heard back within two weeks. Initial interview via phone second round was one on one. Technical and behavioral questions, nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • What an efficient portfolio of investments would look like.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Hampton Beach, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hampton Beach, NY

interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2009.

Spoke with someone on the phone. Went to visit with my resume. The person who interviewed me seemed disinterested and unexcited to get some young energy.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if I would get coffee for upper management if I was asked to do so.
      Thought it was a strange question since he didn't go over any of the specifics of the position.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I was referred by the previous intern, so they gave me the job after one phone interview. Nonetheless, I am quite certain that the interview process varies greatly across their organizational structure. Merrill has hundreds of private equity management groups that hire their interns under different protocol. So its hard to predict exactly how the process will go.

Interview Questions
    • How will working here benefit you and your long term goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Century City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2011.

Quick interview process. Spoke to a the Financial Adviser VP I worked for and the financial analyst I worked with. This was a PBIG set up at century city at the two towers. Quick word on parking, you can park for free at the mall and walk for 10 minutes, or you can pay roughly 10 bucks (in 2011) to park across the street in constellation boulevard and century park east. For your interview, and this is in general for investment handling position, talk about your interests with relevance i.e. QE, rising ETF indexes, your favorite stock (probably shouldnt do apple because everyone does, i talked about put call parity for a specific stock). probably something relevant today is "the great rotation" equity -> bonds. Oh use your school career thing for hiring. I mean you can use monster, but those will bring everybody out of the woodworks (more experienced individuals). And if its a desirable job, rest assured it will bring the cream of the crop. Going in the interview, I thought it was going to be the hardest thing ever (side note: look up CFA tests), but the interview is a lot more plain vanilla than you would expect. Try not to worry and juss answer when asked (and they will ask) and use words like passionate <- love that word for the markets.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. (really is the bread and butter). But every now and then (in other interviews) they do get technical like analyze these financial statements and tell me what you think? Whats your favorite financial statements? Best answer for something arbitrary is something arbitrary "it depends" then of course the explanation is up to how much you really know. financial companies P/BOOK (balance sheet) is uber nice because things are marked to market, but in capital intensive industries they are pretty much garbage because these assets are subject to management in terms of depreciation. Acquisitions also play a role in book value in goodwill (basically means you overpaid). I mean it can get real hard and technical, but honestly they don't care if its right (they basically told me that), they are juss seeing your thought process and what you know.   View Answer
    internship. no pay typically. I say typically because there are paid summer analyst intern positions which are typically taken by people who interned (paid their dues) already. Basically you do this your junior year in college (of course). By summer of your junior entering senior year, you do a summer analyst position. By your senior year in fall recruiting your some kind of analyst. But if you get rejected, brush it off, and keep applying. My senior year, i was doing 2 interviews a week during fall. Take Senior year fall recruiting very seriously, and your junior year find any career related job that wont affect the all important GPA. (jk keep above 3.2 and no sweat). Sorry for going off tangent, but i remember being a junior and not wanting to work for free. But you really you should do your minimum 6 months to pad that resume. All interviews are pretty much the same whether its one on one or by panel (rare). But of course if you are working for free make sure it is a reputable person/company. When I say reputable i mean they already have a ton of aum (the person). Anyways, good luck guys. Hope this helps.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Applied through my college's online career center. Interview was at their office and was completely behavioral. It was around 20 minutes. Why Merrill Lynch? Why Private Banking? What would my availability be during the school week. Why did I pick my college? There was some time left for me to ask questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Quick, simple process consisting of one phone interview and an in-person interview with the head of the financial group. Took about 2 weeks to hear back with an offer.

Interview Questions

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!