Merrill Lynch

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Vice President Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2009.

Got brought in by two managers and itnially hired in the location I wasn't looking for. The culture was a shark tank. The brokers with the most seniority are like little babies who run to the branch manager for every little thing. Everyone was extremely nice for about a week. After that it was like any other sales pit. People talking behind each others backs saying they will help then in reality actually telling you not to bother the other brokers. It was so bad i though i was working in 8th grade again.

Interview Questions
    • why do you think this job is for you at this time in your career   Answer Question
    The hiring mangaer made the number, but the local manager only talked about how I was getting 20K more than him 4 years ago and how hard it was to support a family and yada yada yada. Not a goood way to recruit highy educated and skilled employees

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2008.

The interview process was quite short, but it was because of an immediate opening. the technology guys at merrill are very good and they know their stuff. They mostly asked me questions in C++ as that was what my experience was in. Even though the role was more on C# development. The pay is pretty good too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2010.

Merrill Lynch requires a FIAT test to be taken before an interview can be scheduled. It's a Financial Indicator Aptitude Test that consists of fractional equations, capital market type economic questions, and even some geometry...like giving the pertimeter of the outside of a room. Definitely brush up on advanced math and complicated economy problems to be ready.

Interview Questions
    • If given X area square footage and X length of the room, what is the room's perimeter?   View Answers (7)

Investment Banking Vice-President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2010.

Head hunter, interviews with senior MDs

Interview Questions
    • what would you describe as the most important factors in building a smart order router   Answer Question
    • do you have any difficulties with your current management?   Answer Question
    not much possible and over very quickly

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2011.

1. I was contacted by a recruiter to basically do a screening interview. He explained to me what the position entailed and what the requirements were and what the process would be like. He then asked me if I was interested and if I would come to a Hiring Event within the next week. I accepted
    2. I went to the hiring event, which was laid back and informal. They served us refreshments and gave us information about the company and about the position. We were told what it would be like to be in the program and given a folder full of information explaining the pay structure for the first 3 years, commission structure, series 66 & 7, as well as the requirements for the interview process moving forward. If we did not pass both of these tests then we would not be able to move forward in the process and we would not be eligible to retake the test for 6 months. At the end of the presentation the Resident Director and the Recruiter gave out their contact information asked us to send them an email letting them know if we wanted to move forward with the process. A day later I accepted the challenge.
    3. I waited about 2 weeks for the next step, which was the FIAT exam. The FIAT is a Financially Intelligent Aptitude Test. Look it up online. You should also take a refresher on long division and long decimal multiplication. You cannot use a calculator. The same day I was informed that I passed and would be set up for the next round, which was the personality test.
    4. I took the personality test a couple of days later. This is a timed test so I recommend you have peace and quiet so that you can focus. This is the test that will tell them what kind of advisor you will be. They will ask you questions about investing, sales ability, job history, personality questions, as well as a survey asking you how many people you know with a net worth of $250K in liquid cash to invest. They want to know if you are already connected to wealth. It was explained to me that this test is weighted and should be strong in the job history and network of relationships portion of the test. After passing this test then I was scheduled for a 1:1 interview with the Resident Director. This interview was centered around my plan for client acquisition. If you really want to get this job make sure you go above and beyond on this plan. I went the extra mile and had my plan bound at Kinkos for $10. I also formatted my plan like a presentation instead of in just bullet points. Do not be underprepared. There are so many sites that will help you prepare your plan. After this round I was passed to the next round, which would be an interview with the Regional Branch Manager.
    5. This interview was not located in the city I live in. I actually had to travel for this meeting. It was well worth it considering I pretty much knew I would get this job; however, my meeting with him was probably the most challenging. The one question that I was asked in round 4 and 5 was, "Are you sure this is what you want to do and why"? I told him yes and that I understood that it was a very big decision but if I committed then I would be 110% committed. He explained to me that I would be extended an offer by the Resident Director and that he would be in contact with me very soon.
    6. I advise anyone seeking an opportunity with Merrill to contact someone outside that office that also works for Merrill to get as much advice as possible. It helped me out and the FAs in other offices were very open to being helpful throughout the whole process. Do not be shy. That is not what they want. They want aggressive but not arrogant. Be dressed very well. Look as though you are already employed as an FA. I wore a tailored navy suit, a white shirt with french cuffs, black cap-toe shoes, and a very conservative power tie. I wore a bow-tie to the hiring event so that I would stick out among the others there. It definitely worked. The resident director told me that I was memorable at the event and that set me apart from the other candidates. How you dress is very important as well.
    8. The regional director told me something that may help you. He told me that there are 3 qualities a FA at Merrill Lynch has to possess without question.
    A) Intelligence (to pass the Licensing Exams and learn the products)
    B) Work Ethic (to work your client acquisition plan without ceasing)
    C) Sales Ability (The ability to make people comfortable and like you)

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a financial advisor?   View Answer
    • Are you sure you want to do this?   View Answer
    • What do you believe the hardest part is about a financial advisors job at Merrill Lynch?   View Answer
    I was given the chance to negotiate and you will to; however, you need to remember that what you accept will determine your goals. The higher the salary; the higher the goals.

Client Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2011.

It was alot of questions, I have my masters in Finance and I didn't get the job because of it.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2010.

If you fail any of the tests you are declined the opportunity to continue interviewing.

The Personality test is a beating in a half. Its ridiculous and asks such meaningless questions over and over.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you will get out and get infront of people.   View Answer
    fair-- $49,999 salary b/c over 50k you are in a new ranking of sales needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2011.

I am lucky that my fiance's cousin is the Regional Director of ML. So far i have not interviewed face to face, but have had a phone interview with the program director and as well taken the FIAT test.

The test was surprisingly hard, but I did pass it. If you are about to take it, make sure to brush up on long division, word problems, and decimals by hand. There are no calcs allowed. I found out I passed it right after the test was completed (though they said sometimes they don't get results for up to a week).

I am about to take the personality test here in a few hours. I've been told that after I pass it, I will be interviewed 1 on 1.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2009.

Direct from college or business school recruiting route is the way to go - there are a lot of different positions available across the firm

Interview Questions
    pre-packaged deal, not much to debate

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ewing, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ewing, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2010.

Found the initial job description through a job posting on LinkedIn by a recruiter. I submitted my resume, but didn't get a call back from the recruiter, so I called him. This had the desired effect and got me the attention I needed. After being screened by both the recruiter and his manager, this got me another phone screen interview with an employee of the hiring department This employee called me up and started asking me a series of javascript trivia questions, like what you might find here

(http://vikasrao.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/common-javascript-interview-questions/)

I thought I did very badly on the quiz, since I don't think it's a good use of time to try to memorize code trivia, but I tried to answer the best I could, which landed me a face to face interview with the department. They kept me there for something like 5 hours, which I thought was overkill, and a waste of everybody's time, since it was apparent that they wanted someone who was more strictly a UI person with deep Javascript and CSS not a .NET server-side person, even though the job description did not make that at all clear. However, I hung in there and kept answering questions to the best of my ability using specific answers when possible, but mostly high level answers. Some answers I didn't know at all At the time I didn't know much about debugging JS and CSS with FireBug, and that was part of the technical test that was given on the spot. I did well on the part of the interview with the Director, but not as well with the technical team, so I did not get an offer. I would do a lot better on that interview today.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would to solve a rendering problem on a page with a graphical UI that included an interactive JavaScript Bar chart that wasn't behaving correctly.   View Answer