Merrill Lynch Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2015

2.8

Commodities Trading Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Applied in December, phone interview in January, final interview in Houston offices
    Final interview was four back to back interviews in Houston with team members for two hours. Received an offer thirty minutes later

Interview Questions

• What is the square root of 1000?
      How many ridges does have a quarter have?
      How would you figure out the the price of lumber?
      Why trading of commodities

Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

The interview was very short and straight to the point. I met with the two partners of the office and they asked me basic behavioral questions and spent a majority of the time telling me what the internship would be like. The partners were very family oriented and seemed as though they wanted an intern who was the same.

Trusts & Estates Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

You have an initial phone screening with an interviewer that apparently is with "Bank of America Merrill Lynch." If that is successful you move on to the next phase.

You go in and sit down with two senior employees and discuss some of the jobs and some questions about the job. You then sit down with a senior manager who basically sits there and makes you do all the work. The second interview with the senior manager really is kind of awkward as her answers are very terse and she seems the exact opposite of the employees who sat down with you before.

Interview Questions

• How have you been detail oriented in the past?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe when you used communication in a previous role?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Team Banker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

The process approximately took about 2 weeks. There are two assessments. Initial interview for screening with the recruiter then the interview with the hiring manager based on assessment results. Be ready to talk about your lending experience, goals, and accomplishments. Also, have an example ready to provide about how you were able to coach/influence someone to get what you need them to do.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you were able to convince someone.   Answer Question

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Davis, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Called by a team manager, had an over the phone interview for 25 minutes about what his team did, what he was looking for, etc.

A typical excel- jockey job for fundamental analysis buffs. Sent in an application for a position in SF, and he said my resume was essentially passed around by the recruiting office, where he picked it up.

Interview Questions

• "Would you rather have all the gold in the world, or all the assets?" (The Warren Buffet question)   Answer Question
    • How would you persuade a client to use your recommendation in a portfolio?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic questions walking through resume, talking about myself and some experiences I have had. Nothing crazy in terms of brain-teasers or thought provoking questions. I did not know what to expect as this had been my first interview.

Summer Insight Week Interview

Interview

On line application. Numerical reasoning test. They called me after 4 days to invite my the a first round interview. The interview was scheduled a week after. They changed the interview day once. Easy interview, personal and competency based questions. Walk me through your CV, tell me about a time you performed well under pressure, you work in a team... They called me after two days with an offer.

Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

They contacted me for an office interview. I met with everyone on the team separately. It took them one week to get back to me with an offer. Had to wait until background check and fingerprinting went through to start working. It was a very standard interview and hiring process.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Just behavioral questions like "What are your strengths and weaknesses?"   Answer Question

401k Specialist Interview

Interview

It was a phone interview that included the simple questions; tell me about yourself, why are you interested in this job. After you show interest in the job and are confident, then they invited you to an in person interview at their Jacksonville campus.

Interview Questions

• Fairly simple, but they ask if you understand options. They will refer to a company option plan.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

On campus interview with two directors. Most are behavioral questions with focus on the resume. The only tech question is how would you invest with one million dollars. They look nice and smile all the time. Most of the interviewers are directors/ md. Be prepared to face two at the same time.