Merrill Lynch Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.8

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in December 2014.

Had my first interview, going in for a second. Pretty standard questions, nothing that will throw you through a loop. A few questions were resume based. A few behavioral questions but overall pretty standard.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The process began with me contacting and sending my resume to the branch manager. From there he forwarded my information to an area recruiter. My process with the recruiter began with creating an applicant profile and taking the FIAT. The FIAT consisted of algebraic questions, finance/econ questions, and some logic exercises. A day or two later the recruiter informed me that I passed the FIAT and we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions related to my current work experience, education, reasons for applying, and plan for success as a FA. Following that interview the recruiter had me fill out disclosure forms and give consent to perform additional screening. I was then turned over to the local branch manager to schedule an interview. A meeting was scheduled and I met with the manager some days later for the high achiever interview. This interview consisted of the common pleasantries and questions of your standard interview. My resume was scrutinized as well as me selling myself for the position. It seemed to go well and I was further informed of how the process would unfold in the next stages. No directions or expectations were given after this interview. I waited for a couple of weeks without any communication and was informed by email that I was no longer being considered for the position. It was disappointing as the process seemed to go well but ultimately ended. The few people that I interacted with during the process were professional and helpful. My feeling is that I didn't do a convincing job of answering questions during the interview and that I lacked the sales and financial experience that they look for.

Interview Questions
    • What are some examples of your experience as a leader?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

It was a very informal interview. A lot of behavioral questions. Mostly spoke about my cold calling experience and how I would be able to get clients in the door for them. Cold Called an alumni to get in the door to do a spring internship. Then took about 5 weeks to get back to me and I accepted on the spot. Overall a positive experience.

No negotiation

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through my school's recruiting through their online system. I had a first round of interviews on campus, then was invited to visit onsite (in New York). I had a couple interviews onsite, had to take a written test where they asked some questions like where I see the future of technology in banking.

TFA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Initially applied online.

I have been on two interviews now and it seems like they are interested but there is no urgency. You just have to be patient the hiring process is very drawn out.

Junior Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

F2F interview. This was for a junior BA position. Interviewer was hard to impress yet polite; respected the fact that I have been in the industry for only a couple years. Really likes to dig into your background; your resume, greatest accomplishments/ failures. A lot of situational questions were asked. She also wanted to get a feel for how committed I was and if I could work with minimal supervision.

Interview Questions
    • If the mayor were to decide to implement seat belts in public buses, as his/her secretary, what concerns/questions would you have?   Answer Question
    • Describe what goes on between the user and the system when you swipe your debit card at an ATM..   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you find yourself 2 weeks behind on your work schedule?   Answer Question
    • How would handle conflict between you and your peers/ bosses?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever found yourself taking the wrong path? What did you do?   Answer Question

PMD Financial Adviser Trainee Interview

It starts with online financial aptitude test followed by interviews with senior advisors and branch manager. It includes discovery meetings where you will have a chance to understand what it is like to work for Merrill as a financial advisor.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really difficult or unexpected questions. The questions centered around on why you would want to become a financial advisor, probably because I was coming from a different industry.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2014.

Went in off a connection from my university and got an offer one week later after a brief 2 hour talk. Using who you know in the industry is the most important factor.

Interview Questions
    • What differentiates you from the rest f the candidates?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Just a couple of easy interview questions. Some are resume based. Some are behavior questions. One simple case. I heard from seniors there will be no case questions so I did not prepare. The interview process is about 30 minutes.

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I used an online application process after my uni made me aware of the opportunity. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript and I got a call within a couple of weeks. Three more phone interviews and countless emails later, they extended an offer, non-negotiable. I happily accepted. Process was quick, easy, and pleasant (for an internship in the financial services industry, that is).