Merrill Lynch Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Tampa, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

A call from a recruiter, over the phone interview questions to look for general experience in sales and business plan. How would you handle different situations to rejection over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions, where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years, how do you deal with rejection on cold calls, network of people you know from family to clients you have made relationships with to grow your business plan. Asked about previous work experience and the benefits of working sales knowledge into being productive.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

I had a phone interview. I was contacted by a recruiter in late November, had the phone interview in December, and heard back from them in late January. It was a fairly upbeat and nice phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Standard talk through the resume   1 Answer

PMD TFA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Friendly interaction. Most questions relate back to the preliminary business plan: Where do you see your business in 3 years, why ML, what are three reasons a client would work with you? And then a few personality questions. Important to remember a copy of the business plans as well as resume in case interviewer needs another copy.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, next was asked to complete simple quantitative exam online. Simple interest rate calculations and stock yields. Next was on-site interview with team and then 3 partners. Questions mostly around interest in finance and where you want to be in 3 years. No quantitative questions in person, just Excel and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is your knowledge of the use of Pivot Tables in Excel?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Century City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's career website. There were three interviews: two in the office, and a final round dinner interview. All of the interviews were conversational and very few technical questions were asked. The questions were mainly focused on my previous experience, how I have handled conflict, what my organizational skills are, and how I would handle certain work situations.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was not a hard one. Most of the questions are based on your previous experiences. They were very friendly and by the end of the interview, I did not feel like it was an interview. It felt more like a conversation with people you have just met.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you worked with a hard client and how did you go about with it.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jacksonville, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with three interviewers on the phone. They were all very nice. They only interviewed 4 candidates for one slot. I did not get an offer, but they called me back afterwards and told me I had a great interview and hope I apply to work for them in the future.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a little big about yourself 2. How do you feel you contribute to a team? 3. Do you like being a leader or follower better? 4. What skill sets do you feel you offer? 5. What differentiates you from the other candidates?   Answer Question

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Applied online through college job site. Got an email from the recruiting team to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 30 minutes. The interview had basic behavioral questions and nothing was out of the ordinary. Got an email two weeks after phone interview saying I didn't get the position.

Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with recruiter; once I passed the screening interview, an in-person interview with the hiring team was scheduled for the following week; this second interview has not yet happened

Registered Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and was scheduled for an interview before I had even put in an application online. I had three interviews in quick succession (branch manager, the department supervisor, and then the team you will be joining). After that you go through the background check, finger printing, etc. From start to offer letter the whole process took about a week. The first interview is just a "get to know each other" thing. No tough questions, just a test of chemistry and a conversation to make sure you speak intelligently and will fit in with the work atmosphere. Second interview was a little more traditional, but still conversational. Third interview was very typical traditional "where do you want to be in 5 years" type of stuff. BTW, I noticed on this site that when it comes to ML you are either hired immediately or you're SOL. If you're waiting more than two weeks to hear anything I'd move on.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you let a client down and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer