Merrill Lynch

344 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Associate Interview

Client Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2012.

Interview Details – very relaxed interview. I felt very comfortable interviewing.

Interview Question – The questions asked were general questions including what my past experience was and why I wanted to work at Merrill Lynch.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would definitely suggest that you should try to negotiate for the salary you want. Don't leave it up to the person you're interviewing with.

Credit Analyst Interview

Credit Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in December 2010.

Interview Details – The company had a standard interview process with candidates advancing to higher levels.

Very Easy Interview

Wealth Management Intern Interview

Wealth Management Intern
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – pretty basic, asked about my resume, strengths/weakness, personal qualifications, etc.

Negotiation Details – When can you start?

Merrill Lynch PMD Interview

Merrill Lynch PMD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Had 2 interviews with a top producer then the branch manager

Interview Question – How many people do you know that have $250k in investable assets.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Had 3 phone interviews with different departments: sales/trading, investment banking, and human resources. After that they invited me to 1:1 interview. Asked about basic questions ranging from personal to technical questions.

Interview Question – "What would you do with $1 millon?" "What activities are you involved besides partying?"   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate

Interviewed at Merrill Lynch

Interview Details – Phone screen via HR. Then, phone interview with hiring analyst. Next, in person with hiring analyst, 2 other analysts in the same department, interview with one to 2 associates who the department values highly. Last round is with department head/director of research.

Interview Question – Compliance related questions...what is permitted and what isn't...gray areas of law
How do you deal with difficult clients
Modeling test
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask for more
Ask for signing bonus

PMD Program Interview

PMD Program
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Question – So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   View Answer

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

GWIM Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2012.

Interview Details – Communication from HR reps mostly with members of the individual groups conducting interviews. Mostly behavior based with questions digging into whether you know the different types of banking. Most useful thing to do to prepare is to learn the differences in all the types of banking and to have your basic behavior answers ready.

Interview Question – Pretty Basic questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not like the culture and did not want to be in NYC.

PMD Program Interview

PMD Program

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Contacted first by a recruiter in St. Louis for a phone interview (behavioral)
Then, Took 2 online timed aptitude test (easy math)
Waiting to hear back on a face to face interview in the Chicago Office.

Interview Question – nothing to hard yet. 4th grade compound fraction math lol   Answer Question

Global Wealth Management Intern Interview

Global Wealth Management Intern
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2012.

Interview Details – 1-2 Onsite interviews that were all behavioral. Wanted to see fit within group, not knowledge of technicals.

Interview Question – Pretty basic behavioral questions and schedule fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unpaid, for credit. No negotiation.