Merrill Lynch

Merrill Lynch Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

3.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2010.

The interview was fast-paced. The interviewer, probably because he's used to the working environment in New York, asks questions on a fast pace and expects you to react as quick as possible. They don't care what you feel, how you feel; they just expect you to understand things fast and quick and do whatever they want you to do.

Interview Questions
  • This is a expectation question. If there's a game that say you can roll one die up to 3 times, you can choose to stop on the first roll, or second, or third, and I will pay you the amount shown on the die. How much should I charge you for this game?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2008.

Phone interview with team hiring manager (VP in the group). 1-on-1's with 1 senior analyst, 2/3 associates, 2/3 VPs, 1 MD covering both technical questions as well as personality questions. After technicals, most focus on "fit" with the team.

Interview Questions
    • How do you adjust for operating leases for retail companies?   Answer Question
    Negotiate on start date. Salary is market standard.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2007.

Typical banking interview. Why do you want to do banking? Why the firm? Some technical questions (how would you value a Company? What are the benefits / strengths of the basic valuation methodologies) and then fit (what do you do for fun? are you a hard worker?)

Interview Questions
    • What is 7^4 (no paper just mental math)   Answer Question
    • What is the probability that two people in NYC have exactly the same number of hairs on their head   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2010.

Started out with online math skill test. Once passed continued with several telephone interviews which included decent amount of technical questions (i.e. "what is a convertible bond"), once that was passed had in person interview with 4 different people, some focusing on technicals, some on personality - felt like there were some trick questions. One of the interviewers asked me exactly the same question 2x - he did the same with the other candidates. I calmly answered the question again, just with different words. I flunked some of the technical questions and think that is why I didnt pass this final round. The interviewers seemed very sleep-deprived and irritated.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2010.

I submitted my application through the BoA-ML website in November, and received a response in late December. I was selected for a phone interview with three bankers, and after scheduling the 3 phone interviews, had them in early January.

The 3 interviews largely involved the same few questions phrased in different manners and followed similar structures. They started by asking me about myself, what I did in school, why I was interested in investment banking; then followed up with some technical questions on my accounting knowledge; and finished up with certain brainteaser questions and invited me to ask them questions.

Examples of questions are:
    Run through your resume briefly.
    Why do you want to work in investment banking?
    Give an example where you demonstrated leadership in an unexpected situation.
    What is the effect on all of a company’s financial statements if its depreciation increases?
    How would you determine the number of tennis balls on an airplane?
    Assuming it is now XX:XXpm, what is the angle between the minute and hour hands on a clock?

Overall it was a good experience, the bankers were friendly and very willing to answer the questions I had in great detail. I was selected for the next round of face-to-face interviews, which will be held in mid-February.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain the causes of the recent economic crisis to a layman?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2009.

I needed to answer repeatedly why I chose Investment Banking and if I was applying for other types of positions as well. They were really trying to hear a commitment to the field of Investment Banking.
    I also needed to know a lot about Merrill Lynch, who the competitors are, and what differentiates them.
    There were several basic accounting and corporate finance questions. I didn't need to get really detailed but I had to be able to talk at a high level to prove that I understood what Investment Banking was, reasons that companies need to raise capital, ways that companies can raise capital, why companies want to go through mergers and acquisitions and what value an investment bank brings to the table in the advisory process.