Merrill Lynch Interview Questions in New Jersey

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.8

Client Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Behavioral based interview where you sit before a panel of three interviewers who have a generic packet of interview questions to streamline the interview process. Following the interview, you are entered into a pipeline, from which they select candidates for various jobs based on the different needs of the departments

Trusts & Estates Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

You have an initial phone screening with an interviewer that apparently is with "Bank of America Merrill Lynch." If that is successful you move on to the next phase. You go in and sit down with two senior employees and discuss some of the jobs and some questions about the job. You then sit down with a senior manager who basically sits there and makes you do all the work. The second interview with the senior manager really is kind of awkward as her answers are very terse and she seems the exact opposite of the employees who sat down with you before.

Interview Questions

• How have you been detail oriented in the past?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe when you used communication in a previous role?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in December 2012.

Interview

There was a brief phone interview asking basic information and then they schedule a financial/math test. The test is held at the Hopewell campus and takes approximately 30-45 minutes. It consists of pre-algebra and micro economics. Study up a bit the night before and it will be a breeze. Once your background check and test results come back in you get called in for an interview. You will be interviewed by two sales managers at once. They ask about your sales background and give you you situational questions. If you have a good sales background and good personality you will get the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you tell a client who wants to put a large chunk of his money into a hot stock tip or IPO?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manasquan, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Manasquan, NJ) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied online and basically got a call asking me more about myself and to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. Eventually led to me going in and them offering the position before I walked out.

Securities Lending Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in February 2011.

Interview

Interview process was started by a internal recruiter contacting me after I had my resume passed on by friend. Questions were very basic and briefly covered my resume. Next was an in person interview with both the hiring manager and group manager. Questions were mostly behavioral and covered some fit related points.

Interview Questions

• Nother was out of the ordinary. As mentioned, they mostly behavioral or resume related.   Answer Question

Core II Investor Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopewell, NJ

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in July 2010.

Interview

Watch for them to play % games. Always say 3-5% in the role playing situation and do not place any trades where a client calls and wants to go out out aggressive in a stock when they are set up with a conservative allocation. Tell them you would need to get a manager on the line.

Interview Questions

• Client calls when is a conservative investor, wants to sell everything and put 100% into a risky stock. What do you do?   Answer Question

Client Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in May 2010.

Interview

A manager from the department and I had a 1 on 1 interview. He described the position and asked straightforward questions about my abilities, education, experience, and behavioral questions to which I answered all with ease, poise, and proper diction. It was very professional, yet almost informal. The manager was very nice and I felt very positive when leaving the interview site. I heard back within 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Merrill Lynch?   Answer Question
    • In which area of the metric process do you think you would be successful at and which would you need work on?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in March 2010.

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews: one with manager; another with team lead, and one face interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not out of the ordinary   1 Answer

Financial Solutions Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in January 2010.

Interview

Interview is behavioral; expect a rudimentary role-play. You'll do best if you have some idea how to make a recommendation to a client, even if you're not a pro. Frankly, if you can talk to people you'll be ok. If you try and sound like some guru on CNBC you'll probably mess it up- just don't.

Interview Questions

• A client demands to execute a trade that is not in line with his risk tolerance- how do you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation- it's a straight base + incentives deal.

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ewing, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Ewing, NJ) in January 2010.

Interview

Found the initial job description through a job posting on LinkedIn by a recruiter. I submitted my resume, but didn't get a call back from the recruiter, so I called him. This had the desired effect and got me the attention I needed. After being screened by both the recruiter and his manager, this got me another phone screen interview with an employee of the hiring department This employee called me up and started asking me a series of javascript trivia questions, like what you might find here (http://vikasrao.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/common-javascript-interview-questions/) I thought I did very badly on the quiz, since I don't think it's a good use of time to try to memorize code trivia, but I tried to answer the best I could, which landed me a face to face interview with the department. They kept me there for something like 5 hours, which I thought was overkill, and a waste of everybody's time, since it was apparent that they wanted someone who was more strictly a UI person with deep Javascript and CSS not a .NET server-side person, even though the job description did not make that at all clear. However, I hung in there and kept answering questions to the best of my ability using specific answers when possible, but mostly high level answers. Some answers I didn't know at all At the time I didn't know much about debugging JS and CSS with FireBug, and that was part of the technical test that was given on the spot. I did well on the part of the interview with the Director, but not as well with the technical team, so I did not get an offer. I would do a lot better on that interview today.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would to solve a rendering problem on a page with a graphical UI that included an interactive JavaScript Bar chart that wasn't behaving correctly.   1 Answer