Merrill Lynch

Very Easy Interview

Wealth Management Interview

Wealth Management
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy interview. Great on-boarding process. Everything was very streamlined. I applied online though my university campus recruitment. I first had a phone interview and then an office visit. Questions were typical, not hard, as it was just for an internship.

Interview Questions

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Question – How will you build your business?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring process was pretty fast and simple with one phone interview and one in person interview

Interview Question – all behavioral interview   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to pursue masters degree

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

PMD Financial Advisor
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2014.

Interview Details – Took an initial FIAT exam with about 30 math/economics questions and a logical exam with about 25 questions. Phone screening from a VP Staffing Consultant then a phone interview with a Senior FA at the branch. Submitted business plan. In-person interview with the PMD Coordinator.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Specialist
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a great interview experience as management knew what they were looking for and very clear of their expectations for the job at hand.

Interview Question – Why Merrill, why now despite the negative press?   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was a former employee at Merrill Lynch for over 22 years as a Senior Specialist in the Equity Sales department. During my time at Merrill Lynch I experience many opportunities to be able to grow in the company. I

Interview Question – What makes you an exceptional candidate?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Reasonable

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

GWIM Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2012.

Interview Details – Communication from HR reps mostly with members of the individual groups conducting interviews. Mostly behavior based with questions digging into whether you know the different types of banking. Most useful thing to do to prepare is to learn the differences in all the types of banking and to have your basic behavior answers ready.

Interview Question – Pretty Basic questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not like the culture and did not want to be in NYC.

PMD Program Interview

PMD Program
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Question – So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   View Answer

Global Wealth Management Intern Interview

Global Wealth Management Intern
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2012.

Interview Details – 1-2 Onsite interviews that were all behavioral. Wanted to see fit within group, not knowledge of technicals.

Interview Question – Pretty basic behavioral questions and schedule fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unpaid, for credit. No negotiation.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

PMD Financial Advisor
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2011.

Interview Details – Multiple meetings; math and problem solving test.

Interview Question – When was the last time you laughed/cried.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Two salary tiers offered. I got high tier and accepted. Would not have taken low tier.

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!