Merrill Lynch

2.8

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions
    Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2014.

Took an initial FIAT exam with about 30 math/economics questions and a logical exam with about 25 questions. Phone screening from a VP Staffing Consultant then a phone interview with a Senior FA at the branch. Submitted business plan. In-person interview with the PMD Coordinator.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2014.

It was a great interview experience as management knew what they were looking for and very clear of their expectations for the job at hand.

PMD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Questions
    • So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   View Answer

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Talked about where I would invest right now, mainly to see my interest in and knowledge of the markets

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Quick, simple process consisting of one phone interview and an in-person interview with the head of the financial group. Took about 2 weeks to hear back with an offer.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Quick and easy phone screening, 3-4 different people interviewed me 1-1. Claimed that our meeting room needed to be used so they threw me into another room to finish the interview where the man proceeded to act very angrily towards me. Threw me off and made me uncomfortable. Just trying to test me I'm guessing.

Interview Questions
    • I'm guessing to see how I react to different situations.   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2012.

I had one interview with a senior team member. He was very friendly and asked a lot of questions to get to know me better. So a lot of behavioral questions and no technical. Basically wanted to know if I was a cool guy to work with.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. A lot are geared to understanding who you are, why you want this position, and how will it benefit you and the company.   Answer Question
    It was internship for academic credit only. The advisor that I work with with offered to give me a percentage of any new client fee that I help him gain.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2012.

6+ interviews. No communication as to where I was in the process. Completely unorganized and overkill. Asked the same questions by different people over and over. Management tends to be on high horse however if they were so good at being financial advisors why did they leave to become management which in my view is a step down?

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2012.

Very easy interview. Great on-boarding process. Everything was very streamlined. I applied online though my university campus recruitment. I first had a phone interview and then an office visit. Questions were typical, not hard, as it was just for an internship.