Merrill Lynch Interview Questions in New York State

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.8

PMD TFA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Friendly interaction. Most questions relate back to the preliminary business plan: Where do you see your business in 3 years, why ML, what are three reasons a client would work with you? And then a few personality questions. Important to remember a copy of the business plans as well as resume in case interviewer needs another copy.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by their in house recruiter. Telephone interview was quick and easy. Soon after I was contacted via email by complex manager's assistant who sent all the required paperwork and the official interview was arranged. The visit to the office went well, I interviewed with two advisors and was given an overall picture of the firm, group and the expectation I was asked to interview with the complex manager later that week but did not follow up as I did not think the job would be a good fit. I feel the requirement to bring in 1mm/month investible assets, was not realistic.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to be a financial advisor?
      what is your plan to find clients?
      what makes you different from any other advisor?

Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Rochester, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process what simply a phone interview, because I was away at college. Then around April ( 3 months later) I would check in to see if there was anymore news about the position. (This was because their current intern will be a junior and they are unsure if he was going to stay at Merill Lynch). The interview ended that I would be a good fit for Merrill Lynch and that they'd check in with me. I inquired about the position in early April and their current intern is staying there for his final year. The adviser said he saw nothing that I could improve upon and told me to keep in touch- College Freshman

Interview Questions

• The advisory explained to me what he was looking for in the position and how he thought I fit into it?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions. I only had one interview in person, which occurred after a phone screen. The interviewers were not nice at all - I was in and out of the room in less than ten minutes, which was a very different experience than I had at any other investment bank. It seemed like they had already made up their mind.

Global Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Had one interview with the head FA. He was very interested in my customer service experience and asked whether I had ever cold called. He liked my tech and writing skills as well. No technical questions. Was a lot more relaxed than I expected. Most importantly, you should be confident and eager.

Interview Questions

• Who is the CEO? Walk me through your resume. Have you ever cold called?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I was referred by someone and got a phone interview and then came to the office to meet with the supervisor of that location. They were very nice and showed me around and I immediately got introduced to everyone. They made sure the environment was inclusive since this was a new program.

Interview Questions

• How did you get out of a difficult problem? Describe how you overcame a challenge using creativity? Name 3 qualities about yourself that would make you a good candidate for this internship.   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Took an initial FIAT exam with about 30 math/economics questions and a logical exam with about 25 questions. Phone screening from a VP Staffing Consultant then a phone interview with a Senior FA at the branch. Submitted business plan. In-person interview with the PMD Coordinator.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

It was a great interview experience as management knew what they were looking for and very clear of their expectations for the job at hand.

PMD Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Questions

• So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   1 Answer