Merrill Lynch Interview Questions in New York State

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.8

Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Meeting with internal VP and then your immediate team/coworkers. Fortunately, the people that work at ML are all genuinely kind and easy to talk to. It will be more of a conversation than an inquisition. Long HR paperwork process once offered the position. Expect a month to pass before you actually start.

Interview Questions

• The basics. Strengths and weaknesses, previous experience, willingness to get registered. A strong focus on teamwork and collaboration.   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Very organized initial process and completely disorganized after the interviews. Outside recruiter contacted me initially; she pretty much pushed for PMD route; and during the interview I was told that to join a team is super difficult as nobody wants you basically. Online test was extremely easy.

PMD TFA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Friendly interaction. Most questions relate back to the preliminary business plan: Where do you see your business in 3 years, why ML, what are three reasons a client would work with you? And then a few personality questions. Important to remember a copy of the business plans as well as resume in case interviewer needs another copy.

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic questions walking through resume, talking about myself and some experiences I have had. Nothing crazy in terms of brain-teasers or thought provoking questions. I did not know what to expect as this had been my first interview.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by their in house recruiter. Telephone interview was quick and easy. Soon after I was contacted via email by complex manager's assistant who sent all the required paperwork and the official interview was arranged. The visit to the office went well, I interviewed with two advisors and was given an overall picture of the firm, group and the expectation I was asked to interview with the complex manager later that week but did not follow up as I did not think the job would be a good fit. I feel the requirement to bring in 1mm/month investible assets, was not realistic.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to be a financial advisor?
      what is your plan to find clients?
      what makes you different from any other advisor?

Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (Rochester, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process what simply a phone interview, because I was away at college. Then around April ( 3 months later) I would check in to see if there was anymore news about the position. (This was because their current intern will be a junior and they are unsure if he was going to stay at Merill Lynch). The interview ended that I would be a good fit for Merrill Lynch and that they'd check in with me. I inquired about the position in early April and their current intern is staying there for his final year. The adviser said he saw nothing that I could improve upon and told me to keep in touch- College Freshman

Interview Questions

• The advisory explained to me what he was looking for in the position and how he thought I fit into it?   1 Answer

E-TRADING SUMMER ANALYST Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

There were two rounds. The first one was a phone screen with an associate and was a resume based interview. Most of the talking was done by the interviewer where he explained the role, the work culture at BAML and various other topics related to the job. The second round was a super day; I was interviewed by two persons back to back. This was more of a behavioral round with very few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• In the first round the interviewer inquired about my background based on my resume. I was asked to talk about some of the projects and achievements I had mentioned on my resume. The second round was primarily a behavioral interview.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions. I only had one interview in person, which occurred after a phone screen. The interviewers were not nice at all - I was in and out of the room in less than ten minutes, which was a very different experience than I had at any other investment bank. It seemed like they had already made up their mind.

Global Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Had one interview with the head FA. He was very interested in my customer service experience and asked whether I had ever cold called. He liked my tech and writing skills as well. No technical questions. Was a lot more relaxed than I expected. Most importantly, you should be confident and eager.

Interview Questions

• Who is the CEO? Walk me through your resume. Have you ever cold called?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.