Merrill Lynch

Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.8

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2015.

I was contacted by their in house recruiter. Telephone interview was quick and easy. Soon after I was contacted via email by complex manager's assistant who sent all the required paperwork and the official interview was arranged. The visit to the office went well, I interviewed with two advisors and was given an overall picture of the firm, group and the expectation I was asked to interview with the complex manager later that week but did not follow up as I did not think the job would be a good fit. I feel the requirement to bring in 1mm/month investible assets, was not realistic.

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to be a financial advisor?
      what is your plan to find clients?
      what makes you different from any other advisor?

Answer Question

Global Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2014.

Had one interview with the head FA. He was very interested in my customer service experience and asked whether I had ever cold called. He liked my tech and writing skills as well. No technical questions. Was a lot more relaxed than I expected. Most importantly, you should be confident and eager.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the CEO? Walk me through your resume. Have you ever cold called?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very professional. Looking for sales people. Had to take several aptitude tests and interview with sales manager and branch manager. Must have an interest in financial service and production. Ability to sell the interview on hiring you would be a real plus. Take an interview at some of the small firms first to build up you interviewing skills. And above all, at the end of the interview politely ask for the job and give 3 reasons why they should hire YOU.

Interview Questions
    Have another offer in hand so that you can be confident negotiating.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2014.

I was referred by someone and got a phone interview and then came to the office to meet with the supervisor of that location. They were very nice and showed me around and I immediately got introduced to everyone. They made sure the environment was inclusive since this was a new program.

Interview Questions
    • How did you get out of a difficult problem? Describe how you overcame a challenge using creativity? Name 3 qualities about yourself that would make you a good candidate for this internship.   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2014.

Took an initial FIAT exam with about 30 math/economics questions and a logical exam with about 25 questions. Phone screening from a VP Staffing Consultant then a phone interview with a Senior FA at the branch. Submitted business plan. In-person interview with the PMD Coordinator.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2014.

It was a great interview experience as management knew what they were looking for and very clear of their expectations for the job at hand.

PMD Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Questions
    • So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   View Answer

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Talked about where I would invest right now, mainly to see my interest in and knowledge of the markets

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Quick, simple process consisting of one phone interview and an in-person interview with the head of the financial group. Took about 2 weeks to hear back with an offer.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Quick and easy phone screening, 3-4 different people interviewed me 1-1. Claimed that our meeting room needed to be used so they threw me into another room to finish the interview where the man proceeded to act very angrily towards me. Threw me off and made me uncomfortable. Just trying to test me I'm guessing.

Interview Questions
    • I'm guessing to see how I react to different situations.   Answer Question