Merrill Lynch

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

PMD

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews--not particularly difficult. Took test prior to interview.

Interview Question – I don't recall   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiate for the limit--up to $50,000 or $70,000--do not accept less, because achieving the higher results is very difficult

Hartford, CT

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2011.

Interview Details – online Assessment,2 phonee interviews with recruiters and 2 face to face with BOM

Interview Question – How are u going to raise the assets needed to succeed?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Merrill Lynch

Interview Details – Preliminary phone interview: questions regarding sales experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Portland, ME

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in August 2009.

Interview Details – Was called and spoke with the branch manager. Scheduled a face to face that included some tests. Then met the complex director and received an offer.

Interview Question – Where will you find your business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO

McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was not a good experience interviewing with Merrill Lynch. Their hiring process is a mass. I had so many interviews, tests, and a business plan. It took me almost two month to hear a "NO". It is frustrating. They even did a background check on me. At that point I believed I would be hired. I prepared my business plan very well. First1 on 1 interviewer (director) didn't even spend a minute looking at my business plan. In the second interview, the PMD coach didn't even ask for it (he didn't even have my resume with him). It was a waste of my time and effort applying there. Now, I think I am happy I didn't work in that mass. I was looking into start a career, for sure not working with those kind of people. I don't know about other branches, but this Tyson's corner branch PMD coach and Director does not seem to hire quality people. I guess you just need to have a strong connection in the company or know many millionaires who would let you manage their money and already well trained even though it is a trainee position. I think I was more knowledgeable and have higher education than that PMD coach who was interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• What Target Markets would you pursue in building your practice?   Answer Question
  • What activity levels do you feel would be necessary to achieve success in your practice?   Answer Question

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2011.

Interview Details – HR phone screen. Then an application and an HR phone interview. Then a face to face interview with the branch manager. Financial basics test and personality test. Then an additional face to face interview with the branch manager. A few discussions with Senior Financial Advisors and then and offer.

Interview Question – Who do you know that has $250,000 or more that would consider investing with you today?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room in negotiations. After joining I learned the max for the PMD position is $75,000

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2012.

Interview Details – long

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Merrill Lynch

Interview Details – Straight forward, discussed business plan and how to obtain clients

Interview Question – IF you were a tree what type of wood you be.   Answer Question

PMD

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2012.

Interview Details – There was a phone screening, then you take the FIAT exam online, pretty easy it's supposed to take around 2-3 hours, it took me about an hour and 15 minutes. The exam asks mostly general math problems, a few TVM and a few economics questions. After passing the FIAT, I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I was then asked to come into the office and interview with a Financial Advisor, who told me more about the process and asked me general interview questions. After that interview, the Financial Advisor I met with asked me to speak with another Financial Advisor who worked on a team. It was a great opportunity to see the difference between working on a team or having your own practice and helped me in forming my own strategy. I was then asked to prepare a business plan. Once I submitted my business plan, I was called in for a final in person interview with the complex director. The entire process from my online resume submission to hiring took just over 1 month.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty standard for a financial services interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, this particular program doesn't really have room for negotiation. Also, your goals are dependant on your salary, so for those PMDs that wanted to begin with a higher salary, they have higher goals that they must reach to continue the program.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Merrill Lynch

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrill Lynch PMD interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Merrill Lynch employees and interview candidates.