Merrill Lynch

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Question – So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   View Answer

PMD Program

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Contacted first by a recruiter in St. Louis for a phone interview (behavioral)
Then, Took 2 online timed aptitude test (easy math)
Waiting to hear back on a face to face interview in the Chicago Office.

Interview Question – nothing to hard yet. 4th grade compound fraction math lol   Answer Question

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in December 2011.

Interview Details – Merrill Lynch is very thorough when it comes to their interview process. It takes time, but is well worth it.

Interview Questions

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!