Merrill Lynch

Employer Engaged

Merrill Lynch Wealth Management Intern Interview Questions

2.3

Wealth Management Intern Interview

Coordinated a time to come in for an interview with a Senior FA. Interviewed and he told me to keep working hard, even if I didn't get the internship. His Associate called me back and offered me the position in less than 48 hours. I am going to be working in a cubicle assisting the FA's team.

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Wealth Management Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Brief behavioral phone interview, nothing technical. I was told that I would hear back from them the following week, but it ended up getting pushed back because apparently one of their interviews had to be rescheduled. After two weeks I still hadn't heard from them. I e-mailed to see what happened and never got a response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

pretty basic, asked about my resume, strengths/weakness, personal qualifications, etc.

When can you start?

Wealth Management Intern Interview

I was introduced to a director of a local Merrill Lynch branch through a mutual contact. I was offered an opportunity to have an informational interview but the director was open to doing a formal interview for an internship position. Perhaps because of the personal contact, the interview was less rigorous or technical than one would expect, but it consisted mostly of past school/work experience and a detailed description of the firm and job. Very easy.

Interview Questions
    • "Why finance? Why wealth management?" Basic questions to get a better understanding of your story and why one would be a suitable intern. The job doesn't require lots of skill but they want someone who knows why they're there and what they can contribute.   Answer Question

Other opportunity better suited to my preferences and skill set

Wealth Management Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Was referred by a friend. Contacted via email by interviewer. I did not follow up and the interviewer contacted me once again. During the interview, I was led into a small conference room. It was very informal and much like a 1:1 conversation.

Interview Questions
    • N/A The questions were basic. Mostly regarding who I am and my interests. Focused on team work and values.   Answer Question

Wrong fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2013.

I had a referral from another employee in the office and was given an interview which lasted about 25 minutes. I was asked very general personality/fit questions like, "why Merrill Lynch?" "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" etc

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

One behavioral interview with a friendly senior Vice President who wanted to know more about my work habits than my financial acumen.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a cold-calling prompt you would pitch to a lead.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The interview was very straight forward. The financial adviser started out introducing the firm, talking about why they are looking for an intern and what the internship is about. The FA then proceeded to ask some questions about my prior experience and worked on getting to know me better . It seems like they are looking for enthusiasm and energy. After a week or so an offer was made.

No negotitaion

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The interview process was pretty straight forward- met with one of the PMD's and he asked me mostly behavioral questions, why I was interested, etc. Make sure you stay up to date in the news and have talking points about what's going on in the market.

Interview Questions
    • How do interest rates affect the equity/fixed income markets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Started with a phone interview, asking about current financial situations. Was relatively easy, asked to come in from an interview. As long as your are relaxed and answer questions to the best of your ability, you'll be fine. Sales is also important in a job like this, you will most likely be cold calling.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a group project that you recently worked on and what role you played. Have you ever worked in a sales position before?   Answer Question
    no negotiation.