Merrill Lynch

28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had a referral from another employee in the office and was given an interview which lasted about 25 minutes. I was asked very general personality/fit questions like, "why Merrill Lynch?" "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" etc

Interview Question – No question was unexpected   Answer Question

Wealth Management Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Brief behavioral phone interview, nothing technical. I was told that I would hear back from them the following week, but it ended up getting pushed back because apparently one of their interviews had to be rescheduled. After two weeks I still hadn't heard from them. I e-mailed to see what happened and never got a response.

Interview Question – Why Merrill Lynch?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – pretty basic, asked about my resume, strengths/weakness, personal qualifications, etc.

Negotiation Details – When can you start?

Interviewed at Merrill Lynch

Interview Details – I was introduced to a director of a local Merrill Lynch branch through a mutual contact. I was offered an opportunity to have an informational interview but the director was open to doing a formal interview for an internship position. Perhaps because of the personal contact, the interview was less rigorous or technical than one would expect, but it consisted mostly of past school/work experience and a detailed description of the firm and job. Very easy.

Interview Question – "Why finance? Why wealth management?" Basic questions to get a better understanding of your story and why one would be a suitable intern. The job doesn't require lots of skill but they want someone who knows why they're there and what they can contribute.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other opportunity better suited to my preferences and skill set

Wealth Management Intern Interview

I applied through other source and interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Was referred by a friend. Contacted via email by interviewer. I did not follow up and the interviewer contacted me once again. During the interview, I was led into a small conference room. It was very informal and much like a 1:1 conversation.

Interview Question – N/A The questions were basic. Mostly regarding who I am and my interests. Focused on team work and values.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wrong fit.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty simple and standard interview. 30-minute phone call with the financial advisor who was going to supervise me during the internship. Exchanged a couple of emails before that to arrange a time, and he corresponded with HR to make everything go smoothly. Documents got mailed in a timely manner, and instructions and processes were very well-planned.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral interview. No curve balls.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internship, so no negotiations.

Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – One behavioral interview with a friendly senior Vice President who wanted to know more about my work habits than my financial acumen.

Interview Question – Give me a cold-calling prompt you would pitch to a lead.   Answer Question

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – The interview was very straight forward. The financial adviser started out introducing the firm, talking about why they are looking for an intern and what the internship is about. The FA then proceeded to ask some questions about my prior experience and worked on getting to know me better . It seems like they are looking for enthusiasm and energy. After a week or so an offer was made.

Negotiation Details – No negotitaion

Century City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward- met with one of the PMD's and he asked me mostly behavioral questions, why I was interested, etc. Make sure you stay up to date in the news and have talking points about what's going on in the market.

Interview Question – How do interest rates affect the equity/fixed income markets?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview, asking about current financial situations. Was relatively easy, asked to come in from an interview. As long as your are relaxed and answer questions to the best of your ability, you'll be fine. Sales is also important in a job like this, you will most likely be cold calling.

Interview Question – Tell me about a group project that you recently worked on and what role you played. Have you ever worked in a sales position before?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Merrill Lynch

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!

Merrill Lynch – Why Work for Us?

Merrill Lynch – A Global Leader Merrill Lynch is one of the world’s premier providers of wealth management, securities trading and sales, corporate finance and investment banking services. Working with our clients as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrill Lynch Wealth Management Intern interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by Merrill Lynch employees and interview candidates.